• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:06 AM

Put some Seafoam in the gas, might just be a dirty injector. If it's been sitting for a while, a tune up may be in order. Distributor cap may have a bit of corrosion inside.

#62 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:29 AM

A tune up would be one of the first things I'd do.

Edited by mjodrey, March 26, 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#63 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:10 PM

My neighbor (the one who gave me the truck) saw me outside at my neighbors barn and offered to help me with what I was doing then he asked if I wanted to take a look at the brakes on the truck. Before going back to my house I told him it wasn't running right and he said it was probably a vacuum problem since the brakes also were soft. He beat me back to my house since he could walk the short way and I had to drive around with the 75. By the time I got back he had already found that under the air filter a hose was off. I dont know the name for the hose, one end had a elbow going to the front of the carb and one end went to the pvc valve. He tried putting it back on but the elbow was brittle and broke. He put it on the best he could and then we started it and let it warm up and it ran smooth. We found the broken brake line and I had another line so I bent it but I didn't have the right connector so we went to the auto parts store and got the connector, a pvc valve (the other was bad) and an elbow. We got back and fixed the brake line and put on those other few things. I dont know why but we didn't bother starting it to see if it was better.

#64 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Sounds like your making good progress. :thumbs:

#65 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Nice truck, hope you get years of service out of it. Glad you are getting it all fixed up.

#66 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 04:41 AM

That was good of him to help you out. Sounds like you are slowly getting it roadworthy!

#67 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 04:54 AM

Must be a good neighbor.I'd say you are making some progress.

#68 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:02 PM

How did you come out with your truck Ryan?

#69 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:52 PM

It was on the road, my mom was driving it for just over a week and then it started having problems. It would stall at idle. Somehow my mom and neighbor (the one who gave me the truck) figured out how the OBD1 system works and got two codes out of it. We changed the MAP sensor and it did not fix it. That's were it has been for a while now.

#70 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Ryan If that is the Vortec 4.3 liter, they have a couple known issues. they are great Motors and powerful, but the design of the intake manifold allows the exhaust gases to cool to fast before going through the EGR valve. So what happens is it plugs it solid with carbon deposits.

The books say to remove all kinds of things to remove the EGR valve, but if you take your time you can get it removed with out removing anything else.

After you remove it, clean it out carefully with a pick and screw driver. Do not use spray cleaner on the valve!!!! This is an Electronic EGR valve and it will ruin it!!!!! They are super expensive to replace.

The remedy to this problem is to but the new style gasket, It has a screen built into the port hole of the gasket.

This problem has been a big money maker for Garages over the years, as they would replace the valve knowing all along what the real problem was.

I have Done many of these repairs over the years and I have always found the same thing on all the 4.3's I worked on for people.

The other problem is under the intake with the Spider valve. But If you had this problem you would smell gas like there was a leak. This is less common.

I know people that have to change that gasket often. It all depends how you drive If you idle the truck allot or do a lot of stop and go driving vs highway driving it will plug up quicker.

Well good luck with it! It really is not a bad fix. and the gasket is cheap.

#71 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Chris! I will try that sometime, hopefuly this weekend and I will let everybody know what happens.
  • chris m said thank you

#72 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Ryan did you get a code for the MAP sensor ? If so just make sure that the hose is in good condition and that the port that it's getting the vacuum from is clear , sometimes you'll get get a good vacuum reading on a vacuum gauge but if you quickly raise or lower the RPMs it will lag behind making the MAP sensor give the computer a false reading . I think the engine that chris m is talking about is the newer ones . Pretty sure your is a throttle body injection (TBI ) and it would have a vacuum operated EGR but the same type running problems ,if carbon holds it open when it should be closed it will make all kinds of running problems . That should be a pretty good engine once you get the little bugs out , Al