caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:03 PM

...I don't have the slightest clue what shipping will be but it will probably be easier to find something local. I will keep you in mind. Thanks!

Just for grins I checked...Post Office says it's too big to ship, UPS want's my first born to get it there :bigrofl:

...Chris, thanks for the info on the engine. I havn't heard of a stick on the steering column before.

The slant 6 IMHO was one of the toughest engines Chrysler Corp. ever made! They were bulletproof! Easy to work on too because everything was wide open. Ford had a good one too in their 300 six cylinder. It was a straight six though. (cylinders were vertical and in a row front to back). Sorry, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I would not doubt the price of shipping a truck door one bit!

Unless briggs or Kohler made a car engine, chances are, I wont know what your talking about. LOL! Thanks for the info, only one way to learn!

#18 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Cool! and when the motor poops out, just drop a kohler or onan in there...LOL nice story and congrats on the truck...did ya wash er up yet? most of that stuff will 'buff out' LOL have fun with the truck and you'll enjoy it.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Cool! and when the motor poops out, just drop a kohler or onan in there...LOL nice story and congrats on the truck...did ya wash er up yet? most of that stuff will 'buff out' LOL have fun with the truck and you'll enjoy it.

You'll probably see it in the conversion thread soon, I mean, if I can't drive it until August I have time to swap it out. Haha! I haven't washed it yet, a lot of the rough spots are just dirt and grime so it will look better once its cleaner.

#20 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Congratulations !! As others have said those little S-10's will run longer than the sheetmetal will last with reasonable care. Good luck with it.

#21 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Chris, thanks for the info on the engine. I havn't heard of a stick on the steering column before.

Absolutely NO disrespect to you Ryan, but the fact that you younger folks about to enter the world of driving never heard of a "3 on the tree" makes me feel really OLD! :bigrofl: My grandfather had a 1970 C10 Chevy with a 3-speed column shift and a 250 straight 6 in it. He had that truck until about 3 years ago and it would ALWAYS start on the first try and never let you down. Had over 260,000 on it and nothing was ever done to the engine and it still ran like a fine watch. Only problem with the old column shift was if you tried going into reverse too quickly from another gear. The shift linkages under the hood would jamb and try and put the truck in 2 gears at once. Hadda shut it off and get out, open the hood and jiggle the linkage to free it, get back in and you were ready to go. It was flat out on the road at 60 MPH but man was it a FUN truck to drive!

Good luck with the S10. My parents bought a 91 brand new and kept it till 2003. That truck was well over 150,000 and still ran great when they traded it. Their's was a 4WD automatic tranny crewcab with a 4.3 V6. That little truck was tough as nails and I once helped my dad pull one of our neighbors out of a ditch. He slid off the road on a patch of ice with his 3/4 ton chevy with a full trailer load of coal behind him. The little S10 never even thought twice about it on the slick snowy road. I bet when you get it fixed up it'll be raring to go, plus you can't beat the price either.

Edited by IHCubGuy, March 07, 2012 - 11:27 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#22 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:27 AM

I have never owned an S10, but there is a lot of them on the roads,so they must be ok.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#23 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. You have found a slant six was the engine and three speed on the column is three on the tree. I forgot to mention it was a dodge pickup truck my dad had for years.

He had an S-10 pickup later. It gave good service.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. You have found a slant six was the engine and three speed on the column is three on the tree. I forgot to mention it was a dodge pickup truck my dad had for years.

He had an S-10 pickup later. It gave good service.

I don't know what engine it has but, it has a 5 speed on the floor.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Nice Ryan: can't beat a truck for a littl sweat equity. Don't sell that little truck short! I had a 96 with the 2.2 4cyl and a 5 speed transmition for about 220 thousand miles, my brothers grandaughter is still driving it. 1 Timing chain and 1 coil was all it ever needed. And I pulled a 5 X 10 trailer with it a lot of miles. Take care of them and they will take care of you.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Here are a few more pics.
Posted Image

I have no clue what the white stuff is on the side, either somebody spilled something, or pterodactyls came back to life...
Posted Image

Like any used vehicle, this one came with some extra goodies. It had a glove box full of fuses, (hopefully not a bad sign) one of those flip end wrench socket things, and what ever this thing is. It has a sticker on it but its all scratched up and I cant make it out.
Posted Image

It looks like it had an piece on the end that broke off. It also extends, I extended it about 8 inches. I dont know if it extends farther then that or not, I didnt pull it very hard. Does anybody know what it is?
Posted Image

#27 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:57 PM

It looks like what's left of a "shingle shovel" or shingle ripper. It's for removing the old shingles from a roof when you're replacing them. I've never seen one with an adjustable handle before though. Because of the handle in the first pic, I thought emergency snow shovel, but I believe that the teeth on the back side give it away.
Edit: even though it says "Kobalt" on it, I couldn't find anything like it on the Lowes website.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#28 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:09 AM

Good deal on the truck!!!! I believe the motor under the hood is really a Pontiac motor, if it had the V6 motor those were made by Chevy. Both good motors.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#29 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Here are a few more pics.
Posted Image

I have no clue what the white stuff is on the side, either somebody spilled something, or pterodactyls came back to life...
Posted Image

Like any used vehicle, this one came with some extra goodies. It had a glove box full of fuses, (hopefully not a bad sign) one of those flip end wrench socket things, and what ever this thing is. It has a sticker on it but its all scratched up and I cant make it out.
Posted Image

It looks like it had an piece on the end that broke off. It also extends, I extended it about 8 inches. I dont know if it extends farther then that or not, I didnt pull it very hard. Does anybody know what it is?
Posted Image

I hope it wasn't used as an ice scraper on the wind shield? LOL
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:11 PM

I googled some things and I think it is a shingle remover. I would have never known, thanks!