• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:16 PM

So today I walked outside and I saw the bed of a small pickup sitting in the driveway. I didn't think anything of it, just wondered who it was since I didn't recognize the truck. The truck was behind my mom's van from my prospective so I couldn't tell who was driving, a few seconds later my neighbor walked around the van and I was a little confused. He told me that I could have it, if I mowed his lawn this summer. I obviously had no problem with getting some seat time, and a truck. Its a '91 S-10. Its in rough shape but thats ok! It needs an exhaust and the drivers door is wired shut. It was my neighbor's step-son's (if i remember correctly) and he said it runs and drives great, I have no idea were he drove it from though. After he left I told my mom "The way I see it, it needs a drivers door, an exhaust, and A LOT of black spray paint." She laughed at the spray paint thing but, when my brother got home, he said the exact same thing. I dont turn 16 until August so I have plenty of time to do those few things to it that it needs. Anybody who has a smart phone knows that they aren't very smart at all and I only got one pic before my phone started acting up.

Posted Image

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Grats on the S10! That will be great for you! And It will work out nice for picking up more GT's LOL :thumbs:
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Congrats, Ryan. That's the way to make a deal. Seat time and a truck all in one. Cool! Good luck with the repairs.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:33 PM

love the truck. watch out for those 4 cylinders they like to melt if u dont change the oil frequently. If u have any questions PM. me i will be glad to help.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#5 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:39 PM

At a boy Ryan!!!!Can't beat the price huh...lol????Sound like the guy next door is a good dude.Please drive careful when you get your license!!!jc
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Man you are 1 luck dude. A truck with time to work on it and SEAT TIME too boot.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ryan, good for you. I learned to drive my dad's slant 6 shift on the column in the back field before I was 16. Take it out back, get to know all of it's ins and outs and have a blast. Seems like you have till August to make all necessary repairs. Congrats.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#8 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:46 PM

My first vehicle was an '87 S10. I drove that poor thing into the ground!
Congrats on the new wheels, may they give you many safe & trouble free miles
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:52 PM

That's great Ryan. With your skills you will make short work of those repairs. Neighbours like that are hard to find!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thanks guys! I knew somebody would say it would be good for getting more projects! It is a small truck so only small GTs would fit into the back and I don't think it will be pulling any trailers.

Dave, what is a "slant 6 shift?" I assume its just a 6 speed manual. This is stick which I think is the best part. Not bragging (haha, yes I am.) but I learned to drive stick when I was 10 and had it down when I was 12. I acctully learned in the blue pickup you can see part of in the pic. Unfortunetly I don't have a big field to drive around in so I'm going to have to wait to drive this one on the road before I can get a real feel for it.

1978murray, (sorry I don't know your name) thanks for the heads up! Although I know my way around a tractor I can't say that I'm very keen on other vehicles but, I think can handle changing a door and the exhaust issue. Im sure I will have a lot of questions for everybody once I start doing things.

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:03 PM

I had a '91 S-10 until just a few years ago. I owned it for 11 years (a record for me) and sold it with 247,000 miles on it. It still ran great, but the body was falling off of it. If you take care of it, it will take care of you! BTW, I think I have a door in my barn for it. IDK What it would cost to ship to NY though.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like you had a great day Ryan. Like some folks have said, when you start driving, be careful out there. My oldest grandson turned 16 in August but waited until last weekend to get his learner's permit. I think you will also find members willing to answer questions on your truck as well as tractor questions. I wish that I was more of a mechanic but that was never my area of expertise.

Edited by grand, March 07, 2012 - 09:45 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Congratulations on the new vehicle!

what is a "slant 6 shift?"

Chrysler 225 6 cylinder engine. They called it the slant 6 because the cylinders weren't vertical.
They laid over to the side about 20 degs. from vertical.
His was also a 3 speed stick shift on the steering column know affectionately as 3 in the tree.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I had a '91 S-10 until just a few years ago. I owned it for 11 years (a record for me) and sold it with 247,000 miles on it. It still ran great, but the body was falling off of it. If you take care of it, it will take care of you! BTW, I think I have a door in my barn for it. IDK What it would cost to ship to NY though.

I forgot to give the milalige on this one, its at 131,000. The body isn't to bad on it. Around the wheel wells its kinda rotted but other then that its not to bad from what I have seen, but I haven't had a chance to really look it over. I don't have the slightest clue what shipping will be but it will probably be easier to find something local. I will keep you in mind. Thanks!

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:50 PM

George, I know the people here will be more then willing to help. I don't think I could wait that long to get my permit,I'm not worried about my driving, just other peoples driving. Im not a car mechanic either, I can change tires and brakes but anything else would take some thought.

Chris, thanks for the info on the engine. I havn't heard of a stick on the steering column before.