• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have an Onan (aluminum block) that the paint is peeling. What is the best way to prep this for new paint?

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Kenny I use spray can gasket remover, it works great! we used this allot at work, almost like oven cleaner. you spray it on and let it sit for awhile and the paint bubbles up, Then you can rinse it off when done. sometimes you have to do 2-3 times for thick paint. If you can't rinse it then allot of rags a scrapper and water in a spray bottle works too.and it is safe on aluminum.
  • KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Kenny I use spray can gasket remover, it works great! we used this allot at work, almost like oven cleaner. you spray it on and let it sit for awhile and the paint bubbles up, Then you can rinse it off when done. sometimes you have to do 2-3 times for thick paint. If you can't rinse it then allot of rags a scrapper and water in a spray bottle works too.and it is safe on aluminum.

Be sure to use a degreaser when rinsing, as the gasket remover will leave a residue, that paint will not adhere to. I like using Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean my parts, before applying paint.
  • lyall and KennyP have said thanks