jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Because I use my Gt's on the farm (not just a hobby) the increase just becomes part of doing business. One of the reasons I use Gt's for some projects was originally to save money. However as others have said the increase will affect the number of shows, plow days, and parts and/or tractor searching trips that I will feel I can afford. :(

#17 GTguy OFFLINE  

GTguy
  • Member No: 8703
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Gas is about $5.00+ a US gal where I'm at, cost $30. to fill a jerry can. What can you do??? I mean really what can you do about it.

We can tell the EPA to let us start tapping the reserves here in the states that are projected to be 10 times the size of ALL the oil in the Middle East! The projected cost of delivering that "light sweet crude" oil to the surface would be $.17/gallon! But our government is too concerned with polluting the half are of land that surrounds the well than they are about bolstering the economy that is crumbling around them!
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#18 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:16 PM

We will stay at home even more, And make the trips to town count. Hope no one here likes beef, Cause Hamburger will cost $5.00 lb before long as the dry weather in the south and west has caused the cattle numbers way down.

Very good point!

#19 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:28 PM

We can tell the EPA to let us start tapping the reserves here in the states that are projected to be 10 times the size of ALL the oil in the Middle East! The projected cost of delivering that "light sweet crude" oil to the surface would be $.17/gallon! But our government is too concerned with polluting the half are of land that surrounds the well than they are about bolstering the economy that is crumbling around them!

That is another good point. But we can tell the government to do this all day and it will more than likely not happen. I believe there thinking is to have the last fossil fuel on earth if and when it will run out.

There are strange thing going on in the world today and if we need to cover OUR shores that fuel will be a must. IMHO

#20 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:07 AM

Living in Oklahoma I drive by a half dozen oil wells everyday, but most of them aren't pumping, I would think since crude is so high it would be a good time to fire up these pumps. Gas here is about $3.49 a gallon. Since I am driving at work everyday, I am somewhat used to the real cost of filling up. I use a Government Credit Card at least once a day, and it's nothing to spend $75 to fill the tank. Yesterday I filled up 3 times, (I wasn't full when I started), and I spent well over $100 on fuel.

Edited by Amigatec, March 08, 2012 - 05:10 AM.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#21 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:44 AM

I haven't checked this morning,but yesterday,gas and diesel were both $1.37.1 a litre here.I suspect that changed over night though.

#22 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 06:17 AM

My son works for a national company that services oil and natural gas wells and has been laid off due to lack of work for over six weeks. He says that none of the company's rig crews in northern Michigan are working and that his boss says it is the worst he has seen in his 40 years with the company. In the past when oil prices have went to over $100 a barrel most of the rigs were working 12 hours a day seven days a week. Strange world we are living in $4 a gallon for gas and politicians that appear to be hell bent on pushing it even higher.

#23 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Its nothing for me to run $350 [90 gallon] of diesel through the company truck any day I work.
The MRS. was complaining about it taking $70 to fill her minivan tank so I told her to park it and drive my Suburban for a while. Takes about $140 to fill it right now.
:(

#24 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 07:53 AM

The amount of money that I spend on gas for the tractors pales in comparison to what it cost me to drive to work every day, and the amount of shows that I get to go to doesn't make much of a difference either. I mow my 3 acres twice a week in the spring time and I'll burn near 5 gallons a week. I cringe a little when I have to fill up the cans, and like it's been said before, what can you do! Gotta keep the yard nice. I often think about planting an acre or so of clover for the deer and then I wouldn't have to mow as much as often as I do. As far as the going to the shows, I don't get to go to as many as I want to now, so I'm not cutting back on them either. Gary
  • josh deaven said thank you

#25 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:43 AM

It's funny how people alway's find money to buy smokes or beer or whatever makes you happy.That's why this GT hobby feels like an addiction,because i seem to always find a way for gas or different GT's.........Just dont be relying on credit cards lol

#26 robby1276 OFFLINE  

robby1276

• Member No: 8072
  • 10 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I'm not smart but it's all supply and demand keep the supply low and the demand high and someone is going to get rich

Me I use my gt for around the house gathering firewood taking kids for rides in the wagon it don't eat me up in fuel to bad but with the added expense for fuel it certainly does hamper my restoration effort on the two I have. They run and work fine they just don't look pretty

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Funny this topic has come up!! I commute 42 miles each way daily and at todays prices burn $100+ in fuel per week.
I just turned 62 and can get Social Security. The wife said last night, you could take your social security and save what you spend on fuel and we would be no worse off if you retired. A part time job in the town I live in would put me ahead of the game.
So Now I'm considering my options.

#28 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Sounds like your wife wants to spend some quality GT time with you?

#29 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 04:14 PM

What tics me off is that we have companies local here in Indiana produceing gas, and selling it at thier own gas stations and we are paying the same price for it as the oil that is coming from the other side of the world. If the locals are not paying to ship it in to this country, why is thier prices just as high? Greed, greed ,greed, . No one has to tell me why our economy is down. Its gas prices. This one staple is killing the middle class and poor. I too wait now to pick up multiple items at town. For me its 1gallon of gas to any major city and 1 gallon back. Add that to the price of a gallon of milk and you will think twice before going to get that milk. Why can't the people we elect figure this out? :mad2: Ok i am still going to mow my yard and pay for the gas. I need the time alone to not think about gas prices :mecry: I need to thank God I have a job and have never been laid off :dancingbanana:. Just wish he could put that oil well in my back yard.

#30 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:29 PM

well guys, good ideas. I think the US should start drilling there own oil. My tractor burns oil so it pollutes more than an oil rig. Also im trying to find a way to run used oil in my diesel tractors