30 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:01 PM

as gas prices hit almost $4. How do u guys save at the pump and how does it effect ur hobby.

example:
Im starting to run the tractors less because i cant afford it. But i do go wild when i can use fuel perks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Two local grocery stores have fuel perks. Trouble is, I don't like shopping at either of them that are near me. Near my parents, one of those two is a really nice store. I signed up for their rewards card two weeks ago. I still haven't used it.

I generally buy my gasoline at the same full service station owned by a friend of mine. I go there no matter what when home. At camp, I go to one of two local places that are locally owned. I doubt I am saving any money there, but I'm not the type that will change my habits because gas is 10 cents cheaper over "there".

It's not gonna slow me down with the GT's either. I will just have to pay more for the fuel. Something else will get less money, not the GT's.

If it gets that bad, the Elec Trak will get more time.

#3 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yeah,we use a grocery store chain fuel perk program...helps some...we will take every penny that we can.As far as GT's,in the spring,well as long we are getting rain and it's not 90 degrees,we will mow twice a week,YUP,twice a week.We laugh all the time about our yard being a grass factory.I haven't fertilized in years,but it keeps growing.So we will keep buying gas to mow.I think gas is about 3.79 around here.jc

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:36 PM

I filled my portable Diesel tank 130 gallons about a month ago in anticipation of this raise. We should be in good shape to get the crops in. Gas I have not stock piled. I guess we will just have to bit the bullet on that one. Sweet corn could get pricey this year as all us growers are in the same boat.

I am afraid we are in for a wild summer when it come to fuel prices. I am still not sure how it will affect my GT show schedule this year but we may have to stay a bit closer to home this year. It has made me put Evansville on the "I hope I can" list. If corn is growing well and it is not ready to harvest the first week in June I will load up the 4855 and come down.

I am also getting ready for a kick in the butt from "Mother Nature". With the weather being so unpredictable I am gearing up to have some option for irrigation available should the need arise. Not been much of an issue here in Wisconsin but I am just getting ready just in case.
I am on city water here now and it cost a bit over $200 to water my new lawn. Several acres of sweet corn would be out of the question.

I work with a neighbor that has a spring feed pond that we can get water out of. I also have a 2000 gallon tank mounted on a 10 ton Badger running gear to move the water over here. Then we could pump it into the irrigation system. At least we have something.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:39 PM

I dont think the gas price will really affect how often I use my Tractors.
I do try and wait until I need a few items before I go get parts for my tractors now. When the gas was fairly low I used to drive about 25 minutes 1 way to pick up 1 or 2 parts from the old Bolens dealer near me LOL.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I just put $20 in my 5 gal can and I try not to look at the price or how many gallons I got. I do know that the gas here was @ $4.07 yesterday.I don't do any less I just do what I have to do and try not to think about the prices.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:03 PM

We are sitting at 1.365/l for gas right now which is about 5.18/us gallon. Diesel is 1.38/l or 5.24/us gallon. The difference from US pricing is mostly higher taxes. In europe they are paying about 10$/gallon right now. They are saying it could go quite a bit higher as we go into summer. Something about refineries going offline causing a squeeze on gas inventories going into the higher consumption summer season.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I don't think that it will make any difference how I use my tractor.

But...6-8 hour drives in the motorhome (at 7 MPG) to get implements or tractors will be restricted. :mecry:

I'm STILL hoping to make the Evansville show (8 hour drive) but we will just have to wait and see.

Who knows, MAYBE it will come back down this summer.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 07, 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I plan on invading Iran and stealing a tanker of crude for myself.
And then I'll wake up.
  • 1978murray and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I don't think that it will effect how I use my GT's, but it may curb how many shows I take them to. I was planning at least 2 trips that are 4 hours one way, and while I may still take the trips, I may not be toting tractors along!

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm going to whine a lot. Maybe even shake my fist at the TV screen when some dumb bunny says it's acceptable and the $ will make "us" more conscious of how we're using the fuel.

What I want to do is start drilling my own well. Don't think I have a shovel handle long enough tho.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Gas is about $5.00+ a US gal where I'm at, cost $30. to fill a jerry can.
What can you do??? I mean really what can you do about it.

#13 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:43 PM

I don't think that it will effect how I use my GT's, but it may curb how many shows I take them to. I was planning at least 2 trips that are 4 hours one way, and while I may still take the trips, I may not be toting tractors along!

Steve has already said what George and I had talked about. I still want to make some shows this year, but taking the truck and trailer with tractors may not happen. The sad part is that everything we will continue to buy at the stores, whether it's grocery or department will cost more because of increased transportation costs. Hopefully things will improve.

#14 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Using the tractors at home for work will not change as it brings in $$$ or at least prevent out go of capital. Going to show of any distance will have to be looked it very closely.

#15 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:59 PM

We will stay at home even more, And make the trips to town count. Hope no one here likes beef, Cause Hamburger will cost $5.00 lb before long as the dry weather in the south and west has caused the cattle numbers way down.