9 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 02:18 PM

when i was snow blowing drive ways in my neighbor hood with my repowered h14 i was about 2 km from my house and i was just getting done a driveway i pulled away to leave and something was clunking the sound was coming from the rear of the tractor i stopped and looked and could not find any thing so i putt the petal to the metal and rushed home i thought it was the hub coming undone so i am a stone throw from home and i planed how to get in the yard with out stopping i go over the curb no problem then i am in the yard i turn to get to the door of the shed and next thing i know the tractor almost flips and the front wheel is behind me i looked at the spindle and its sheared right off so i start work on it instantly i had a parts tractor and i heat the turn arm up with a propane torch for 20 minuets and then got it off so in Ontario we have had almost no snow and my parts tractor was frozen in the ground and i got it out i take the spindle out and go to put it in the good tractor guess what ....... it wont fit the broke on is 3/4 and the good used one is 7/8 ! so i had to put a new front axle in well its not as simple as that the h14 has no grease fitting so the pivot pin was rusted in so i had to replace the whole front end i take all or bolts out and the axle fall out then i crawl under it and i find ....... i 1/4 wide crack in the frame i knew there was a crack but i could not believe how big it got so i welded it i bolted the new axle up put the axle in and could not find the pin now its back together here is the link for the
also it turned out it the clunking sound was a lose wheel weight and i worked on the tractor from 3 pm to 12.30 am Sorry neighbors for all the noise
youtube vid

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Glad to see you got her back in working order! I do understand the in snow repairs! You are lucky to have a parts tractor. I would need to fabricate or order a part.
  • 8tyman8 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 03:36 PM

I dont think I have ever seen an axle break there before on a Bolens.
I know its pretty hard to steer with the blower on, so maybe the strain of having front weights on with the blower was a bit too much....
  • 8tyman8 said thank you

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yeah,I have never seen one break there either.
  • 8tyman8 said thank you

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for sharing the video. Sorry to learn about the problems. Cold weather makes for some miserable working conditions but it looked like you just dug right into the task. Good luck.
  • 8tyman8 said thank you

#6 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:25 PM

I like the tires you have on there.
  • 8tyman8 said thank you

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:34 AM

I dont think I have ever seen an axle break there before on a Bolens.
I know its pretty hard to steer with the blower on, so maybe the strain of having front weights on with the blower was a bit too much....

yeh i have never seen one break on any tractor before the only thing i have ever seen was a bent spindle on a crafts man but it does not make sense why they used 3/4 inch spindles instead of 7/8 or 1 inch but its fixed now but i will tell you that it was alot of cold wet work in the slush and snow

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I like the tires you have on there.

ya i like them too i got them for $20 then i picked up some bolens rims from the scrap yard for $13 then i painted then $5 so i have 38 in total in them they make a HUGE difference in the snow i have a set of atv tires for the back but with the blower on its tricky on ice

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:44 AM

http://gardentractor...with-my-bolens/

Thanks for sharing the video. Sorry to learn about the problems. Cold weather makes for some miserable working conditions but it looked like you just dug right into the task. Good luck.

yep thats me i like to get it done as soon as possible also the weather forecasters are not doing there job well one day they say there is going to be a HUGE storm 1 foot of snow and we get a dusting like 1/8 inch so i wanted the tractor fixed that night now its working great and i have heaver spindles i might need to contact sonnys and get a axle rebuild kit

#10 sieborg400 OFFLINE  

sieborg400

• Member No: 8226
  • 22 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 12:22 AM

I'm glad you got her fixed! That front axle is hard to break! In my younger years I would tourcher my old 850 and she always came threw for me!!!! Steve......