17 replies to this topic

#16 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:26 PM

To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much) Case also dropped the balance gears when they started using platform mounts on the engine mounting plates. My 444 shakes a bit when idling, but smooths out when sped up. Considering the way the hydraulic system works on these things, there's not much time spent idling.

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:22 AM

I think the balance gears were probably removed by Kohler, some of the Cub Csdets with the K motors didn't have them either.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:54 AM

To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much) Case also dropped the balance gears when they started using platform mounts on the engine mounting plates. My 444 shakes a bit when idling, but smooths out when sped up. Considering the way the hydraulic system works on these things, there's not much time spent idling.

Idling at 2200 isn't really an issue with any hydro powered tractor either. I just wonder if the jetting is different in the carb. It's a bit confusing when you look at the Kohler manual and it tells you to set the idle screw with the rpms below 2000 and JD tells you to set the idle at 2200. One issue is that when you shut down at 2200 the engine is still pulling in fuel for quite a while before it stops and that may contribute to the backfiring problem after shut off that some people have experienced. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about the gears blowing out in my 314.