#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Im a firm belever of Planet Jr's but the newer PJ's are not built like the older ones, they stuck with the flat bar flex frame design with the internal seed plate and was made so well it has not changed for over 30 years with the exception of the hopper which is now polypropylene instead of tin metal and the wheels. The packing wheel's spring can be adjusted to fine tune how much pressure is exerted over the seeds lending itself quite well to sensitive seeds such as beans and corn. My No. 4 has the external hopper opener for corn and works very well with out skipping a beat, no plate to damage the corn or jam up during drilling, only catch is the hopper compacity is limited compared to the JD models but farmers have fab'ed up hopper extention, a 3 gang on a tool bar was great for drilling on beds.
I was very pleased with the performance and precision of drilling with the Cole Multiflex Corn Planter, a soild heavy unit that flexed well with the ground and fertilized at the same time but it did require something of a 25 hp tractor to pull it and the hoppers has gone to polypropylene.
As much as i know about this i will rely on your experties Jeff, i don't have the many years of trial and error you have acquired from truck gardening, or the accumulated knowledge of the drill seeders.

Edited by trowel, March 08, 2012 - 09:36 AM.

• ducky said thank you

#17 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,917 Thanks
  • 4,053 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:16 AM

On the East coast we see many of those Planet Jr. drill seeders and the Cole Corn planters with the market gardeners abound, could have one for a few hunderd dollers or spend the next year slowly collecting all the parts from older units untill a rebuilt one is ready, i do that with my Planet Jr.s.
Would you like to me to ask around ?

Thanks Trowel, if you know of anything available I would be interested.

Thanks to you and Lauber 1 for all the useful information.

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,852 Thanks
  • 30,146 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Looking forward to more build pics ducky! I'll never really need a planter like this, so I'll get my "planter build fix" through your build.

#19 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,917 Thanks
  • 4,053 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Well yesterday we had a bit of time check out how well the planter unit will work.
Let me start by explaining how the unit is suppose to work.

The figures work off a cam to open and close. The brush at the top just blow the screw is there to remove doubles and then the kernel falls thought the hole and the fingure opens and the process starts all over again.
7000 Figure Unit.JPG

Then on the other side of the unit the kernel is caught and lower by the belt to aid in better plant spacing.
7000 Belt Side.JPG
This units have been around a long time and have a very good reputation.

Hope this explains the operation good enough.
I have some video which I will get posted as well.
  • caseguy said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Ducky, that is neat, never seen the insides of thoses, thanks for showing us, im coming up dry so far with the Cole brand planter/drill seeder but found this, a push type missing the handles but could be converted to drawbar easily, $50 is cheap for thoses, i usally pay up to $100 http://allentown.cra...2859885781.html

This one looks ok for the price http://baltimore.cra...2829974096.html

Here's one closer to you :http://greenbay.craigslist.org/atq/2866373465.html

Just throwing this out for you to see, looking forwards to your planter build, looking good.

Edited by trowel, March 10, 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Man, you got a bunch of these in Wi. here's another http://wausau.craigs...2892156933.html

#22 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,917 Thanks
  • 4,053 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:49 AM

I made a drive adapter out of an old socket and ran it with my cordless drill. I tried to keep it around 40 rpms.
Sorry for the poor quantity.
Here is the finger side in operation.

And this is the belt side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnB1RNh5uSY&context=C48a9593ADvjVQa1PpcFPo2r-m3c_U1L_UfC3BE3Y0m7BdiR4qKK4=

Thanks trowel I will look into those.
  • caseguy and trowel have said thanks

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Thanks a bunch for the video Ducky, great to see how it works on the inside, looks like everything is in working order.

#24 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,917 Thanks
  • 4,053 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 11:07 AM

Well we have it mounted to a cat one hitch with the option to use a cat 0 hitch.Mounted 1.JPG Mounted 2.JPG
I mounted it off to one side of the tractor for Cat 1 so we can get a 30" row spacing but also allowed for center or left mount as well
Mounted.JPG

I used a couple of drive wheels of a tiller to drive the unit.
Drive wheels.JPG
I measured the circumference of those drive wheels and set up a spreadsheet to calculate the required gearing needed to achieve the desired populations I would need.
Before I buy a bunch of gears I wanted to check my math. Then I got the the gears for the setting I will use for sweet corn and checked the calibration. It seems to be really close to my spreadsheet. Warming up today so I will take it out on the grass today and check the population more accurately.
This is the first mock up of the transmission to verify my math.
Gearing Mock up.JPG Gearging Mock up 2.JPG

I will update after we double check the calibration.

#25 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,468 Thanks
  • 2,809 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 11:27 AM

looks like your heading down the right track, not knowing your ground but you should be looking to get a population 18 to24000 seeds per acre.

#26 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,917 Thanks
  • 4,053 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 11:36 AM

That is the range I am using. Some say only 12-15,000 to get nice ears but if you can get the nitrogen to it when needed I lean toward 20,000
Here is my spread sheet.
Population Chart.jpg