Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Where Do You See The Garden Tractor Hobby In Five Years?

garden tractor hobby

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 11:40 PM

I've seen prices go up and down, the bottom has fallen out of farm tractors around here, GTs have actually gone down some here as scrap is worth next to nothing.  I see lots of younger people at the shows I have been to, as well as most of the auctions.  One of the problems I tend to see with bringing young people into the hobby is the attitude of some adults that think all young people want to do is destroy these machines or won't share what they know about them or their history.  Parts are becoming more available, but some part prices are going up (tires, etc.).

• Alc said thank you

#62 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 12:45 AM

Yes walk-behinds will lose popularity. I see young people getting into this hobby but many do not stick with it. Prices were very strong (at least for AC) up until the last few months. Prices seem to be dropping. Still see lots of young people interested at the thresher shows. I myself have been in the hobby fifteen years. Time will tell but I'm hoping things keep looking up.

• Alc said thank you

#63 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:06 AM

I haven't been following prices much other than scrap price has drop so when buying a pile of someone's junk ( i.e. gold to us) the prices on those have dropped some. You still see some of those that think they are worth gold so I dunno.

The big push I have seen in the last couple years is in the LT market, some of the GT's. The younger ones are getting into building these "mud mowers" and they are using these up. While not my thing, they are using mostly worn out LTs then adding big tires, modding them, etc, to have a play toy which is fine, It's when they start cutting up a nice original to go romp in the mud that gets to me.

• Paulgo said thank you

#64 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 07:31 PM

There are also lawn mower demo-derby's at some of the local fairs. I hated it but had to do it, I sold a rough but running MF12 hydro to a guy to use for parts for his derby mower....  I had tried to sell the tractor for two years on CL but couldn't get it sold, even at only $150.

#65 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I am sorry to say this, but I agree with above. I know guys at work that go and buy bolt ons and have them installed at the dealer, because they don't like getting their hands dirty. I even work with a "fake" mechanic who came to work and said he needed a run down on changing out his brake calipers, because it has been awhile since he has done it. By awhile, he meant never once.

Anyways, I think prices will keep going up. Only because there are guys out there that know we will pay for it. I do not see the interest rising, because they are old and finicky. They do work better and harder than what I see most of my neighbors using with there box store machines and blades, but they are old. From my perspective, people like buying new things. For instance, my one neighbor went out and bought a new box store tractor after he saw mine and told me his 17.5 HP Cub has more power and torque than my 1969 140. He also said it was bigger and would easily plow the snow this winter. I walked away smiling. Well, the big winter came last year, guess who went to buy a blower to clear his driveway and guess who just went out and plowed like the year before. Suffice it to say, he now just mows with his Cub.
  • limebuzz, Alc, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#66 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 11:21 AM

There are also lawn mower demo-derby's at some of the local fairs. I hated it but had to do it, I sold a rough but running MF12 hydro to a guy to use for parts for his derby mower....  I had tried to sell the tractor for two years on CL but couldn't get it sold, even at only $150.

Wash your mouth out!!!  I have been wanting a MF GT for a while now and can't find one in my area!  :(

Edited by victor3ranger, November 13, 2015 - 11:21 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and limebuzz have said thanks

#67 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Wash your mouth out!!!  I have been wanting a MF GT for a while now and can't find one in my area!  :(

I did my best to sell it to anyone else, sitting on it a few years......  It was also well advertised, it was on the MTF classifieds, the Yesterdays Tractor classifieds, and Craigslist. The SSI unit was worth more than what I sold the tractor for but I didn't want to get involved with parting it out.  Couldn't keep it forever.

Edited by ACmowerguy, November 13, 2015 - 09:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, tractor, hobby