Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Where Do You See The Garden Tractor Hobby In Five Years?

garden tractor hobby

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#46 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Quite Frankly...with the mildest winter on record last year, and the severe drought this year...unless something changes ...there might not be much of a need. However, I like everyone else pray this changes quickly...

I agree that we need to pray ask God (as you know him) for help, guidance, and protection. Regardless of whether the environmental changes are man-made or natural, it still affects us all.

#47 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 11:10 AM

From what I've seen in the last few years expect prices to keep climbing and to due so quite rapidly,I'm basing this just on what I've seen happen on 200 series Deere attachments.My advice would be to buy what you can now and hang on for the ride after watching what has happened to muscle car prices I'd expect a sharp increase in prices with a slow return back to more sane levels.I hope prices don't spike but more collectors entering the hobby only means us guys who like to work them as they were intended will find ourselves paying more $$

Edited by pigsitter, August 05, 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#48 k91 OFFLINE  

k91

• Member No: 2384
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 02:21 PM

I hope people get tired of their rusty, old, always breaking down junk because I have some room in my shed yet :laughingteeth: But I accept that like anything else it will probably continue to rise in popularity and unfortunately cost as time goes on.

#49 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'll add my zwie pfennigs not from a "collector/rebuilder" point of view, but from an "observer of demographics" point of view... Which simply means, "I don't see the new folks moving in around me NEEDING a GT. The trend here in my neck of the world is to have a guy come in with a Zturn and buzz the place and leave in less than half an hour. I don't know what they pay, I do know they are not the kind of folks that like much to do with nasty dirty things like wrenches or oil filters, weedeaters, chainsaws, etc.

In my neighborhood of 60 or so all different houses and landscape ideas there are exactly 3 guys that "do tractor stuff", me and a guy on the back street with a Ford N type. There's Cub at the end of my street but he's an arrogant cuss and doesn't say much. The rest either have their lawns mowed or do walk behinds. We lost one Gravely guy to the old folks home a couple years ago and his place now has a landscaper.

My area is right on the edge of "country" living where the bigger tractors are and there's plenty of them North and East of here! But right around the edges in McMansionland LT/GT tractors seem to be disappearing with the changes of property owners "movin' on up".

#50 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 02:57 AM

The price hasn't gone up on lawn and garden stuff at all, it takes more dollars to buy something because your dollar is worth less than it was! And when the value of money runs out, -LOOK OUT
With that being said, rare stuff will always command a value, and after that would be good user stuff. especially garden equipment
  • twostep said thank you

#51 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 05:33 AM

One issue of consideration is fewer and fewer folks with the ability to sustain the hobby at any price. With the decline of actual GT parts, there's also a decline in interest coupled with fewer folks with the skills to build just one of these tractors. Not one of us can justify the hours of love and labor we put in based solely on finished $$$ value. Price alone,IMO is not enough.

#52 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 05:52 AM

I grew up building and restoring old muscle cars and street rods. I always tinkered with everyone else's tractors but never had any on this level. I quit the car thing when the prices got away from me. A '50 Chevy could be bought for $500 bucks with some surface rust and a 6 cylinder. Now you couldn't touch that car for $2500 with no engine in it! The day that you see a GT or any tractor go across the Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auction block is the day you better have what you need. I blame those 2 TV airings for the spike in old cars. We just need to keep our secret guarded! Haha maybe have a guest list at the shows!!!
  • twostep said thank you

#53 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 12:24 PM

I should rephrase my auction thing. It matters more when this hobby get publicized. American Pickers is a good example. Lots of stuff has no value unless someone makes it popular. I still get questions when I talk about my small collection. The most common one is "why?". I used the TV auction as an example as too what things like that can do to a hobby. I don't necessarily think we will see a Bolens, John Deere, etc go on Barret- Jackson or Mecum.

Edited by dropped82, August 08, 2012 - 07:02 PM.

• HALFSCALE said thank you

#54 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'll run into an old friend at a tractor show, someone you haven't seen in twenty years, someone that use to have muscle cars as I do. And yet they all seem to gravitate to garden tractors as I did .And usually for the same reasons, can't afford the high price of muscle cars, can't afford to drive them and can't put up with the attitude of people if what your showing isn't to thier standards
Like George says " sometimes i like to see them in there work clothes "
  • josh deaven and dropped82 have said thanks

#55 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'll run into an old friend at a tractor show, someone you haven't seen in twenty years, someone that use to have muscle cars as I do. And yet they all seem to gravitate to garden tractors as I did .And usually for the same reasons, can't afford the high price of muscle cars, can't afford to drive them and can't put up with the attitude of people if what your showing isn't to thier standards
Like George says " sometimes i like to see them in there work clothes "

I resemble that remark! Although it wasn't quite twenty years... :thumbs:

I'm still into muscle cars but I can't really afford to fix up my Barracuda or my wife's Trans Am for that matter. When I saw you could get a nice GT for the cost of an e-body door it was a eye-opener. My wife on the other hand, thinks several hundred for a GT is too high but she doesn't seem to bat a eye when we walk around the car corral at Carlisle and see beat-to-heck Cudas for $20 grand.
  • dropped82 said thank you

#56 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Was searching through the archives and seen this old thread its been a little over 3 years anyone have anything else to add? :D

To me it seems like the hobby is still growing and at least in this part of the country more people are into repairing and maintaining their older equipment compared to buy the new stuff they make today.

In our area we have guys willing to put more into fixing an old machine than what its value is or what a new "equivalent" can be purchased for.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and michael.kitko have said thanks

#57 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 10:44 PM

I keep reeling in tractors from people that rather sell these classic machines to collectors that appreciate them than to see them hot rodded into pulling machines and or hacked up. No offense to those guys, you are saving tractors too. I do see prices have dropped some on certain brands... But they are still respectable prices.
  • Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#58 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 09:36 AM

Well, since you brought it back up........ smile...

I think the "connection" for most of us HERE is with our past - getting something like we rode as a kid, or like our parents used to have, or preserving something form the old school of well built to last.... 

But as we "old guys" get, well, older and not around anymore... there becomes a disconnect before a thing becomes nostalgia and popular again with a new generation. I see the hobby getting bigger for a while (supply/demand - both in more people collecting and less items to collect), then tapering off for a while as there are less people around with a direct connection, then becoming more high buck collections with a smaller group of collectors participating eventually. Look at what happened to the old cars (20's-40's NOT hot-rodded), and what is happening now to muscle cars.... Not sure what the timeline is on those as to the number of years though.. I also think the modern generation who doesn't want to get their hands dirty (not EVERYONE, thankfully!) also is a bad sign for the hobby middle term...

I HOPE the pendulum eventually starts swinging back and we leave this throwaway culture and go back to quality/longevity. Think of the GT's that could be made today using modern materials, technology, and production techniques! Look at the performance of the "new era" muscle cars being produced these days (vettes, charger/challenger, comaro/mustang, etc), compared to the originals they are modeled after! MOST people would rather have new and low maintenance models instead of older/quirkier originals.. I wonder if we ever reach that point with the GT market? 

• Alc, KennyP and michael.kitko have said thanks

#59 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 05:57 PM

I am also of the thinking it will continue to grow and prices to rise, espicaly for attachments and models that are hard to find.  Fewer and fewer of the younger generation are living on the farm, or taking over the family farm.  But, they still want that "tie" back to thier life growing up on the farm.  A GT of the same brand of farm equipment is one of those ways to stay connected to thier roots.  It can also be a functional part of thier life in the suburbs over a box store lawn tractor.  Cheaper to haul to shows, cheaper to restore(most of the time!)  Just looking at how much the GT items have taken over the huge Portland, IN show at all 3 events each year.  The more common brands will see more reproduced parts, espicialy as the OEM's discontinue more and more of the needed wear parts to keep popular models working.  Most all major shows have an area just for GT's and a feature GT model within the featured brand of equipment.  Its only going to become more and more heavily focused on GT's as it seems fewer and fewer have the place to keep and restore a farm tractor.  I also see many of the GT guys getting into the small hit/miss engines as you can pull them around behind the GT and do not take up much more space than a second GT.  Prices for those smaller hit/miss engines have really gone up around my area lately.    Its a great time to be in the hobby!     Mike and Michele T

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#60 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 07:09 PM

my 2 cents I think prices are dropping especially walk behinds. the generation that owned and used these machines are passing on and most people that inherit them after realizing they are not gold just want to get rid of them. I have seen some great buys from people who just want to see grandpa's old tractor go to a good home.
  • Alc and michael.kitko have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, tractor, hobby