Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Removing Large Hub On Locking Differential (Tube-Frame)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joshnewbe OFFLINE  

joshnewbe
  • Member No: 8656
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hi guys im back just wounding if anyone could tell me exactly what transmission the 1963 800 has . Also i'm trying to replace the seals and on the left side I cannot get the lock key out of the coupler tjat screws off. And that is right in side the hub. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! I owe you guys. Thx

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:35 AM

The 800 has a 3 speed transmission with the locking differential.
In most cases the key is usually pretty hard to get out after being in there for years.
I will try and look for an old post where Bruce typed up a through explanation on how to remove the key from the hub.

Here's a thread
http://gardentractor...__fromsearch__1
  • joshnewbe said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:45 AM

(A question was raised in a different thread, and I thought it best to post the info here in a new thread.)

"I'm trying to replace the axle seal on the Bolens 800's transmission and I cant seem to get the cast iron hub off."

Yeah, they can be a real P.I.T.A. !!! ............First you'll need to soak it down with cleaner/solvent/ penetrant to clean the grease off the parts.

Using a pair of pliers to grab the outside diameter of the bronze cone (that's the tapered cone that's keyed to the smaller steel sleeve), try to pull the bronze cone out first. .....Being bronze, it doesn't rust or stick on the outside to the large hub. .....Rust on the steel inner sleeve or key will keep the bronze cone from sliding off easily.

Tapping the end of the cone and sleeve with a small flat-punch or blunt chisel, may help loosen things a bit. ...Just be careful not to peen the sleeve, making it even bigger in diameter.

When everything is clean, look closely at the keyway on the steel sleeve to see if the steel sleeve is split at the coners of the keyway. .....If they split, the sleeve may have expanded slightly.

You'll have to clean the axle shaft very well to enable the sleeve to slide off, after soaking it with penetrant. ......You can try hitting the large hub on the back of the flange, but Be CAREFUL! because the hub is cast-iron and can break easily. ....Try to hit as close to the smallest part of the backside of the hub as possible. .....If you have an air-hammer with a blunt chisel, that should work nicely.

If you have a large puller, you can try that, but it will exert a lot of pressure on the flange, and may break the hub. ...Not Good!

Other than that, I can't think of any tricks to make the job easier.

Once you get it apart, clean & polish all the pieces. .......I would always make sure that the cone would slide freely on the sleeve before putting them back in the tractor. .....Likewise, the sleeve should slide freely on the axle shaft (without the key installed).

De-burr the key & the keyway in the sleeve with a flat file. ......On the large hub, de-burr the two tangs which go inside the differential, and also de-burr the sharp edge that enters the large seal.

If you install the small seal into the hub, before putting the hub back on the tractor, do not just push the hub onto the shaft. .....Try "screwing" the hub on, so the seal doesn't get torn up on the threads. .......If you put the small seal in after the hub is on the tractor, again, do not tear the seal on the threads. ....You will need a tube or piece of pipe of the correct size to drive the seal squarely into its seat.

Then, you can install the sleeve, cone, & key, along with the nut, cotter pin, & spring-washers.

• Bolens 1000, mjodrey and joshnewbe have said thanks

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:49 AM

I will try and look for an old post where Bruce typed up a through explanation on how to remove the key from the hub.

I started a new thread instead of cluttering up this sticky. Here is the link to it:
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 joshnewbe OFFLINE  

joshnewbe
  • Member No: 8656
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hey thanks guys I was able to get the key out, seals out all because of your help thanks a lot!! Now off to napa to try and cross refrence the seals any advice or suggestions. thanks josh

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:31 AM

I started a new thread instead of cluttering up this sticky. Here is the link to it:

Thanks Bruce
I knew you sent me an e-mail with those directions in it but I couldnt find it :wallbanging:
I merged the other posts on to here as well.
  • joshnewbe said thank you