Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd400 Help, What Part Is This On Engine?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Ive gone through the parts catalog but Im not sure what this is. Its on the top of the right side of the engine. It has the big hose coming from the top of it going towards the front of the mower then down. My muffler caught that hose on fire and I dont know where the hose is supposed to go to or what is carried in the hose.

Can you ID this part? Picture was taken from the front of the mower looking back, part is actually on the top right of engine.

Posted Image

#2 rammer OFFLINE  

rammer

• Member No: 2057
  • 13 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 10:58 PM

nathan,
send an e-mail to my address ,,, treehouse150@cogeco.ca
... and i'll send you a pdf file of one of the sections from the 400 service manual. lots of pics; it might help.
tom

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Possibly just a crankcase vent hose to prevent too much pressure from building up in the engine. Most engines run the vent hose into the intake manifold or air cleaner.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:02 PM

It looks like the crankcase vent hose and if that's the case it should be running over to the throttle body underneath the air cleaner.
Sometimes people disconnect that hose if the engine is pushing out oil. I'm going to have a look at the diagrams on JDParts.

#5 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Its hard to tell from the picture, but the piece the hose comes out of is a thing that is bolted onto the engine kind of shaped like a coffee can on its side. The hose comes from the top of that. There is also a small copper line with brass fittings that go into this thing and the other end goes into the top of the engine block.

Going through the diagram, the only thing I see that looks like this thing is the governor.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Ok I think I've found the diagrams.

MP1396_________UN01JAN94.gif

400 breather.gif

The hose is part 13 in the first diagram. The breather(part 32) is where you can see the hose connected in your picture. From pictures I've seen of the engine in the past I think it attaches to part 19 in the second diagram. If you remove the air cleaner assy. you should see a port where it would connect. It could have rotted off over time and was just hanging down. Notice the u shape of the hose in the diagram. It should go pretty much horizontal to connect under the breather.

#7 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 07:20 PM

it is your crankcase breather tube and the crankcase breather is what the hose is connected to and it is bolted to the top of the governor .

#8 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what it is! The tube on mine comes out of the crankcase breather on top of the governer and then goes to the front of the motor and straight down. There is a cutout there where the hose goes down. But, nothting for it to come back up. Also looked all over the carb and breather and nowhere on there is a spot for it to go. SO, Im guessing mine was just originally vented to vent to the ground.

Ive got my muffler welded all back up and it doesnt leak anymore. Even put new spark plugs in and can hear the difference. The old ones were very black with carbon build up but not wet with oil or gas. Should pick up my valve cover gaskets monday so they wont leak anymore.

Just about got this thing back into shape.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Glad to hear you're getting it sorted out. If you don't have oil coming out of that tube that's a good sign. A compression leak into the crankcase will force oil out that tube. Keep an eye on it as it's an indicator of engine condition.