15 replies to this topic

#1 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hello GTT,
This is the first time I have ever posted anything ever.....I hope I'm getting it right. Here is my Bolens story:

My wife and I bought a home 5 years ago with 2 1/2 acres. Our biggest draw to the property (besides her being 5 minutes from work) was an opportunity to plant a vegetable garden again. The garden spot on this property far exceeded our last vegetable garden. My first purchase was a Cub Cadet rear tine-walk behind tiller. I was very happy with the performance of the tiller. It took approx. 7-8 hours walking behind this tiller to get the soil prepped for planting/seeding. When I was done, I would be exhausted. Last fall, as I was cleaning the garden and tilling it up for the winter (we live in central Minnesota), I thought it would be nice to sit behind a tiller rather than walk behind it. We had also purchased a John Deere LA145 for mowing our huge lawn, but there are no tiller attachments available for this particular model. So I got on Craigslist and found a Bolens 1050 tractor with a tiller, a blade, and a mower for $425. I had never heard the name "Bolens" before. The owner told me all it needed was a belt and a battery. I stopped at Mills Fleet Farm on the way home and that was all I needed. I greased up the gearbox, attached the tiller, and became an INSTANT BOLENS FAN! I began researching Bolens and found out that they have many more attachments. I had also purchased a MTD Pro 26 inch Tecumseh 9.5 HP snowthrower five years ago. Once again we have a long driveway and every time I snowblowed, I was exhausted. Searching craigslist I found a Bolens 900 with snowthrower for $275. Of course, I had to have it. When I got the 900 home, I realized that the snowthrower attachment was missing parts. It would be functional, but a pain to operate it. So I got back on craigslist and found another 1050 with a deck and complete snowthrower for $500. I bought it. Now I'm all set...except my 22" tiller leaves a tire track on the left side because it's only 22"! So today I drove to Duluth, MN and purchased the same same tiller with a tine extension so it would cover both tire tracks.Looks like I'm out of room....thanks for reading! I attached a photo of my Bolens fleet.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3306.JPG

Edited by bill1261, March 05, 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#2 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Glad too see you like the bolens. Be careful as these tractors tend to multiply.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 09:57 PM

First, welcome to the site! You have a good group of boles there and they will serve you good. You will find out quickly that this is a great site with loads of knowlageable people who are willing to help. If you have any questions, bolens related or not, we will do our best to help out.

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hello and welcome, bill1261! Glad you found this forum. Ryan is right, there are a bunch of great folks here.
Looks like you got the beginnings of a great fleet! Ya just can't get much better than the old garden tractors. Made to last, to do what needs doing, if you just take care of them. Yours look to be fine examples. Ya got me jealous! lol!
I look foward to reading more posts from you. Happy tractoring!

Edited by JBBR, March 05, 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#5 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 10:25 PM

welcome to GTT!!!! always good to have another bolens fan on the forum. if you have any questions feel free to ask. we are here to help

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Nice little fleet you have !! good to have you aboard. I also am impressed with my bolens they are a great little tractor.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Bill,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Nice group of tractors you have there.

And please feel free to add yourself to our Member Map.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:45 AM

Welcome to GTT!

You have some nice tractors there.
If you ever have any questions feel free to ask :thumbs:
What kind of engine do you have in that 900?

#9 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Yea!! Take some more photos of the 900. Welcome to the sight. Looks like you got the fever :laughingteeth: .

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 01:39 PM

Bill, welcome.

You certainly have mastered your first post ever. You even attached a photo. Congratulations because it is a great first post. You tell an interesting story and show a picture.

Your herd of Bolens looks great. You seem to have gotten some great deals too.

Glad you joined.

#11 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Nice fleet you have there.

#12 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 06:23 PM

looks like the dash tower is missing on the 900. if you find one local i would grab it, it will make the tractor look 10x better. they are nice little tractors.

#13 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Bill. You've started a nice Bolens fleet. When's the next addition coming? Bet it won't be long. :smilewink:

#14 sieborg400 OFFLINE  

sieborg400

• Member No: 8226
  • 22 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Welcome to the family! Take care of those tractors and they will take care of you! Glad your here!! Steve....

#15 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thanks to all who replied to my first post! I do have questions that I will be posting. I just got home and want to reply to "bolens1000" and "redcarkids". I will take photos of the 900 tommorrow and post them. Here's a stupid question....should I start a new post or continue with this one? Bill