• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• Member No: 3502
  • 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 07:32 AM

i will be picking this up in the near future, he guy is holding on to it for me. My tractor of choice is Bolens but i think the Panzer is a wicked cool looking tractor. Can anybody help with identifying this model tractor.

Attached Files

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I would guess it to be between a 1960 to 1963 Panzer T-70 by the style of it. 1963 to 1965 would have pennsylavaina cast into the front grill. 1960 to 1963 would just say Panzer across the front. It looks to be pretty compleate and not beat up. Good luck on getting it!
  • dmcjt850 said thank you

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Yes, what he said.
Looks a lot like the 1962 I bought.
You have a nice tractor there. You'll have a good sandblasting to deal with, but everything looks solid.
Not only did you get a mower deck with it, which is a big deal on it's own, but it still even has the rear rollers on it which is usually the first thing to go (fall off and don't get replaced)

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 12:12 PM

I dont know much about panzer tractors, just wanted to wish you luck with it! Other then some surface rust it doesn't look bad.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 12:56 PM

i will be picking this up in the near future, he guy is holding on to it for me. My tractor of choice is Bolens but i think the Panzer is a wicked cool looking tractor. Can anybody help with identifying this model tractor.

Did you buy that in Charlestown Rhode Island? The red truck in the back looks familiar.

#6 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 01:22 PM

no its in VT my folks saw it took some pictures and i called the guy and he said he would hold onto it for me. its just sitting in a lot on a flat bed he wasn't actively selling but my dad and i like old rusty stuff.

#7 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 01:24 PM

what would be the difference between a T-70 and the T-70B that i see in other posts?

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 01:28 PM

what would be the difference between a T-70 and the T-70B that i see in other posts?

They say that the B is for Briggs, but what they really did is just put a slightly bigger "easy spin" briggs in the T70B model. I've honestly never been around a T70 model without the "B"

#9 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 03:14 PM

good find it doenst look like the truck or tractor ran in a long time

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 04:22 PM

...my dad and i like old rusty stuff.

I can't imagine why you're a member here! :poke: :bigrofl:
That looks like a great candidate for restoration! Keep us in the loop and post some more pics when you get it home!

#11 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 09:06 PM

well i'm hopefully going up the end of the month to pick up the tractor, is there anything on the Panzers i should look for as far as being impossible to repair or replace? any info would be great.

#12 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • Member No: 41360
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Looks like a T70B to me its identical to the T70 im restoring as we speak 60-63. The round steering wheel was changed to a 3/4 wheel in '64. This model should say PANZER down the front of the front grill. It has a Briggs on it you can tell by the oil bath style intake. Sorry to throw so much info at you I really enjoy lookig at these machines. If you need any help in your restoration let me know I know how it goes together i have a build thread on here too.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:24 AM

well i'm hopefully going up the end of the month to pick up the tractor, is there anything on the Panzers i should look for as far as being impossible to repair or replace? any info would be great.

You asked what to look for... From the pics, it looks like all the stuff that's machined special for a panzer is there... Rear axle, drive, driven pulley, engine pulley, mower...
But I can offer this advice that may help: I can't tell from the pictures whether the front wheels are worth saving, but you probably know that thing is going to be tough to wheel around w/o them inflated. If you want to take a set along with you, the front spindle shafts are 3/4 inch. The original wheels did not have bearings in them so expect the shaft to be worn quite a bit. If you take along a set of front wheels, and you want to go to bearings in the front, then take along a dremel or something that you can smooth out some of the gouges in the spindle shafts. You'll also need some side cutters to help get the cotter pin out (which holds the wheel on the spindle).

When I replace the wheels with a set with bearings... I found that I then had some extra shaft so I shortened mine by about 3/4 of an inch. but you can get to that later.

#14 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 03:27 PM

ok i hope this will be the last question before i pick up the panzer on sunday, how wide would you guess the mower deck is? will it fit between the wheel wells on a 1500 pick up.

#15 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 12:05 PM

well we headed north and picked up the Panzer. the only "rot" is on the mower deck, the rest of the tractor is surface rust. the front spindle is .75" like cookiemonster had said, however the wheels that are on it are a 1.25" dia. Would anybody have a set of front wheels for sale or does anybody seem to think Dandy Sales would have them.
i have some more questions but just getting to roll for now is a start. i will also post some pictures soon.