• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:43 PM

any chance you could work up a drawing and share i like them might just have to make a set

Ya I think I can probably do that but it wont be till this wekend when I have more time.

#17 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 01:31 PM

any chance you could work up a drawing and share i like them might just have to make a set

I thought about what you asked and realised that unless you were going to use them on a Jim Dandy they wouldnt give you the right spacing BUT I will explain how I made mine. That way you can apply it to any GT you want.

First I layed two ratchet strapes on the ground to form an X then I stacked the tires I had on the strapes with some 2x4s in between to give me the spacing I wanted. I hooked the strapes to each other so I could see they looked like standing up.how to make duals.jpg I then mesured the distance between the rims to get the length the final addaptor would be.how to make duals1.jpg dual addaptor length.jpg
After I desided on the length I had to deside on how thick my plates were going to by, went with 1/2" which in turn made the tube that went between them and even 5". After everything was cut to length I worked on drilling the holes for the studs in the plates. I ended up cutting out a ring of cardbord that I could fit on the hub and used a marker to mark the hole locations. I cut out the holes with a utility knife and then bolted the cardbord to the hub to make sure the holes lined up. DSC00909.jpg After I was happy with the hole locations I copied the locations to a piece of plywood. Using a geomitry compass I found the center of the holes and drilled a smaller hole in the plywood and the plates so that I could bolt them together for drilling the stud holes.DSC00910.jpg I ended up having to use a 5/8" drill bit for the two plates that were to bolt to the hub of the axle because my locations were off and I couldnt get more than two holes to line up at a time.

With everything drilled and dry fitting nice I moved on to welding everything together. I welded the bolts for the studs that would hold the outer wheel first. That way I could weld around the entire head rather than 3/4 of it and to make sure the bolts would line up on the rim I bolted the plates to one of the spair rims when I welded them. I used a metal ruler and some heavy magnets to center the tube that connect the plates then its just some paint and you get to enjoy you tractor with duals.

I know this is alot more than you were wanting jlpowell but I didnt think that a drawing would be the best idea. If I didnt explain somthing very well let me know and I will try again. Hope this helps anyone who reads it and have fun, I did.
  • Alc, Ryan313 and jlpowell have said thanks

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 02:25 PM

thanks for an excelent write up! Anybody could make themsdelves a set now. Good thinking with the 2x4.

#19 jlpowell OFFLINE  

jlpowell

• Member No: 8518
  • 3 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 02:43 PM

well countryboy88 what you posted is prefect . they will be used on a power king when it makes it here. thank you for posting them

Edited by jlpowell, March 10, 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#20 jlpowell OFFLINE  

jlpowell

• 3 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:14 PM

what size pipe did you use in the middle of the flanges ?

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:56 PM

I was wondering that too.

#22 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 08:32 PM

I used 2 1/2 OD with .25 wall tubing, I used 7 1/4 OD round stock for the plates. I dont know were you could get that unless there are some fab shops around you , it would probably be easier to get flat stock and cut them with a torch. The tubing was easy I cut that on my machine.

#23 jlpowell OFFLINE  

jlpowell

• 3 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 03:32 PM

thanks for the info