#16 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Practice, Practice, Practice. It will come. Work on parts that aren't needed for a restoration. This way if you mess up, it won't hurt anything. I'd suggest trying the roller method first, like shown in the video above. This will give you a good starting step, for feeling the smoothness of the paint, and for getting an idea as to how much paint needs to be applied. Once you have this mastered, then move onto spray cans, and then a spray gun if you so desire.

If you don't have extra parts laying around, practice on empty soup, coffee or vegetable cans. This especially works when you get to the spray can painting step. Everybody has empty cans in their recyclying bin, wheather it be your's or your neighbors.

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 25, 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#17 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Some one mentioned reading the label, right, sometimes the labels are printed so small that they can not be read.

Dick
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#18 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:40 PM

A friend of mine who has been in the autobody business most of his life shared with me this trick.He told me about sem primer and that they use in hard to sand areas on cars, it is a self etching primer and does not have to be sanded. I shot my rims with it and did not sand them,after drying for an hour or so,I wiped them with a cotton bed sheet rag and shot them with my top coat the results were outstanding.( THE RIMS WERE MEDIA BLASTED)

Edited by HANKG, March 08, 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#19 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 06:45 AM

NEVER get in a hurry.  Take your time and be patient. Remember, if you screw it up don't get flustered.It can be sanded out and re-shot.

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Ive been painting since i was 14 i started with spray paint(rattle cans) then through my schooling boces an college ive used a varitey of products on the market.Im an autobody major returning to college im in my second semester now all i can say is that the fillers and primers i used when i first started are nothing like todays technology.Any mistake can be fixed if the right steps are taken to do it the proper way either with using a rattle cans,sinle stage paint or a base coat clear coat.If rushed any of these methods can look very poorly done, if the time is spent spraying rolling or brushing paint can be show quality paint job.Using the proper steps to also repair a panel wether it be plastic fiberglass carbon fiber alum. or steel will also effect the outcome of the paint job. Using the right cleaners for the materials also matters wether you think it does or not. No i didnt copy this out of my autobody book this came from knowledge i have learned over the yrs with 2 different teachers in my studying the autobody field

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and WHdbJD have said thanks