• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• Member No: 4417
  • 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 04:01 PM

My 314-8 came with a model #79361 44" Snowthrower and the belt broke on me the other day. The factory belt is part # 116332 described as V Belt 64.5EL. Does this mean its 64 1/2" long? I tried a local available belt that is 64" long and it lasted about 5 minutes. It seems to cause the tensioner pully to pull up and out of its normal resting spot. Will a 65" 5/8 belt work on this or do I have to order a factory belt ?

Anyone have a after market belt supplier for this model thrower they have had good luck with?

Thanks Craig

Edited by NOS Valves, March 04, 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 06:38 PM

Toro's price is listed at $36.45. The one website lists an aftermarket replacement from a company called Stens. It's their True Blue line and It's listed as a 5/8" X 65" and their part number is STE 258065. The price is listed at $29.46. Personally, I've never had very good luck with aftermarket belts because the Wheel Horse belts have a unique pitch to them and aftermarket are usually standard. Stens makes a lot of good replacement parts for everyone's brands and theirs may be different.
  • NOS Valves said thank you

#3 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I found that Stens belt for $20.62 from Choochooparts I may order one to give it a try. I bet these blowers eat some belts when dealing with wet snow. I already found an original $31.48 and ordered it.

I know one thing this POS made in India one I bought locally sure isn't worth a darn. But that could be because it was only 64".

Thanks for your help
Craig

Edited by NOS Valves, March 04, 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#4 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I was shocked by the cost of another item that I will end up making myself. The wood block for the chain tensioner. Toro gets $51.12 for a small chunk of wood! Crazy.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:05 PM

I was shocked by the cost of another item that I will end up making myself. The wood block for the chain tensioner. Toro gets $51.12 for a small chunk of wood! Crazy.

I absolutely agree! One of the reasons I became a collector is because I have bought entire tractors for less than some of their parts cost, and often times I get the parts that I need in the deal!

#6 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Caseguy,

Have you used off brand belts on Wheel horse tractors with any luck?

#7 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Oh and Toro maybe a pain on parts cost. But these old Wheel Horses rock. I love this tractor. I've used a heck out of it since scoring it last year best $2900 I've spent in a long time. . In fact this belt is the first hickup but it was looking a bit rough when I got the setup.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have used the TSC belts...and no, I haven't had any luck at all with them. I shredded one in 2 hours of mowing! I have a dozen Wheel Horses..I love them too! My daily driver is the same as yours, a 1994 314-8. It does all of the snow plowing, snow blowing, cart hauling, moldboard plowing, and soon to be tilling around my place! Awesome and versatile machines! The Kohler Magnum 14 is a stoutly built engine and starts every time I turn the key! I wouldn't let the belt issue get you down. Belts go bad...especially belts that could be 16 or 17 years old!

#9 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:26 PM

What model number plow do you have on your 314-8? I have a mid mount grader blade but no snow/dozer blade. My original belt would probably still be working if it wasn't for that heavy wet snow we got twice in the last week I really should have been plowing it, I think I pushed it a bit hard. I have a snow/dozer blade on my JD 110 but its a real pita to lift up and down and you have to get off the tractor to change the angle.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:43 PM

I don't know the model # of the one that I use. It is a Wheel Horse plow, but it was modified by the PO to fit a long frame Wheel Horse. I have another that would work, but it's a "new" plow that has never seen the snow. I picked it up as a show piece.

1029001746.jpg 1029001746b.jpg 1029001747.jpg 1029001746a.jpg

Here are a couple pics that I have of when I brought it home along with the wheel weights that came with it. I don't know the model # of it either, but I'll go look when I get the chance.

#11 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks that would be cool. No need to get the one that was modified to fit. I have a line on a used one for $200 I'm waiting to get a model number from the guy. It's now being used on a 1988 414 and I'm not sure it will fit. I'd rather get the snow/dozer blade which from what I understand would be model #79350. I believe the Snow/Dozer blades are heavier duty the just a snow blade?

Edited by NOS Valves, March 05, 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#12 NOS Valves OFFLINE  

NOS Valves

• 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 11:50 AM

Case,

I have another question you might be able to answer. What do all the servbice bullitens pertain to in the manaul section? Sure is a ton of them, I'd hate to download them all and waste the GT server bandwidth if they will be no use to me in the future.

Thanks Craig

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 12:23 PM

The 314 and the 414 dimensionally are the same. The 414 frame is slightly heavier, but the plow will fit your
314 without modification. As for the service bulletins...I have no idea. You could see who posted them and PM them with any specific questions and see what they say.

#14 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 04:03 AM

Case,

I have another question you might be able to answer. What do all the servbice bullitens pertain to in the manaul section? Sure is a ton of them, I'd hate to download them all and waste the GT server bandwidth if they will be no use to me in the future.

Thanks Craig

Wondered when that question would get asked. There are over 600 bulletins issued for the Wheel Horse product by Wheel Horse and Toro in 5 different series. Did not open it but #97 is likely dated April 1968.

There is a searchable Database Table in
http://groups.yahoo....ractormanuals8/
that lists any models names, model numbers and part numbers found in the bulletins. It is not perfect because some bulletins are too general in nature to make an entry for each product model. If I had to do it over again it would be done differently.

There is a file in the Files named
A set of instructions for using a Database Table
explaining how you can use the Tables to your advantage.

Have come to the conclusion that much of the information Toro has online came from the bulletins. A mistake in the original has been carried over to what's online today.

Garry

#15 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 04:38 AM

Got an email from an owner wondering how they could get a copy of a service bulletin. All +600 (a guess) are posted in the Files of Group8 (link below).

Garry

Wondered when that question would get asked. There are over 600 bulletins issued for the Wheel Horse product by Wheel Horse and Toro in 5 different series. Did not open it but #97 is likely dated April 1968.

There is a searchable Database Table in
http://groups.yahoo....ractormanuals8/
that lists any models names, model numbers and part numbers found in the bulletins. It is not perfect because some bulletins are too general in nature to make an entry for each product model. If I had to do it over again it would be done differently.

There is a file in the Files named
A set of instructions for using a Database Table
explaining how you can use the Tables to your advantage.

Have come to the conclusion that much of the information Toro has online came from the bulletins. A mistake in the original has been carried over to what's online today.

Garry