#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 11:40 AM

I am looking at picking up an old White tractor. The owner says the tractor will move fine in reverse but struggles moving forward.
He says it's a Marshallmatic Hydro and I've read that these are are the same as an Eaton 11. Does anyone know how big or small this
problem could be? I don't know much about Hydros but if it's minor I could probably handle it. I have a feeling it is not going to be as
simple as a linkage adjustment... The pic isn't the one I'm looking at but it's the same model.

Attached Thumbnails

• White 1650 5.png

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 11:46 AM

I have heard of the Farm King manual calling it a Marshallmatic hydro, but it is definitely Eaton....manual error. If it's roundish with fins, looks like an Eaton, then it's an Eaton. The only thing I can find on Marshallmatic is in reference to Bolens systems.
As to the problem, it could be many, but if oil is up to ops level, then possibly linkage, faulty acceleration valve,......
  • RAJ said thank you

#3 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Is there a troubleshooting diagram or service manual for this trans? I have an MF14 and the rearend looks like it's the same. It has mounting pins that are cast into the rear axle... What kind of place would be able to fix it without costing an arm and a leg?

Edited by rajkowski@ymail, March 04, 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 02:13 PM

Is there a troubleshooting diagram or service manual for this trans? I have an MF14 and the rearend looks like it's the same. It has mounting pins that are cast into the rear axle... What kind of place would be able to fix it without costing an arm and a leg?

Here is the link to the Eaton 11 service manual: http://gardentractor...del-11-service/

I'm thinking you mean one or both the mount bosses for the 3pt lift arms are broken/cracked on your axle housing? I'm not sure, but the housings on the MF14 & MTD 990 series may be the same. I have both, so if I get time I'll compare. You can take the housing off & to any competent welding shop & have them weld it up with either Ni rod or stainless. For greatest strength & durability, the entire housing must be heated red hot to weld, then kept in heat for a few hours, with temps slowly regulated downward. This prevents stress/cooling cracking.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Daniel, Is that the same as MTD 990, It looks like the same frame and rearend, just different sheet metal?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 02:15 PM

Daniel, Is that the same as MTD 990, It looks like the same frame and rearend, just different sheet metal?

Yes, pretty much the same tractor. As you said, just sheet metal difference. It is definitely MTD built & appears to be a 990 series.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 02:21 PM

I will have to keep my eyes out for one of those, always liked the way the White farm tractors looked.. You guys have convinced me that those older MTD's are very strong.

#8 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Here is the link to the Eaton 11 service manual: http://gardentractor...del-11-service/

I'm thinking you mean one or both the mount bosses for the 3pt lift arms are broken/cracked on your axle housing? I'm not sure, but the housings on the MF14 & MTD 990 series may be the same. I have both, so if I get time I'll compare. You can take the housing off & to any competent welding shop & have them weld it up with either Ni rod or stainless. For greatest strength & durability, the entire housing must be heated red hot to weld, then kept in heat for a few hours, with temps slowly regulated downward. This prevents stress/cooling cracking.

The axle housings are fine, I was just trying to point out that the rear ends looked the same as what Massey used on the 14 so once you get a chance to look, we'll know for sure. As far as repairing the Hydro unit if it needs, what kind of shop could do that?