#1 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hello, I'm new to the site and I have a couple questions about the Husky 800 transmission.

I have two 800's which I am trying to make into one. The "good" one was purchased new by my grandfather in 1963. It has led a long hard life, and I'm trying to begin the process of resurrecting it to use for odd jobs around the yard (mostly tilling and plowing).

The drive shaft was bent somehow, and over time the vibration bent the input shaft (#85 in the attached link). I would like to pull that shaft out of the tranny on the parts tractor and put it in the good one (along with the driveshaft and clutch). Has anyone here ever stripped one of these transmissions down, and if so do you have any tips or recommend any special tools?

Also, the pin that allows the rear end to free wheel is frozen in place (no amount of whaling on it with a brass drift and 8lb sledge would get it to budge). This is obviously less important, but tips to remove the drive collar would be helpful too.

http://sonnys_bolens...beframe/800.pdf

Thanks for the help!

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 10, 2010 - 04:34 AM

:welcometogttalk:
I have never 800 the transmission apart in my 800,but I did have to free up the free wheeling pin.I have torches so I was able to use heat.I would heat it up ,then soak it with PB Blaster.I had to do this several times before it freed up.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 10, 2010 - 05:22 AM

Welcome to the forum, Enginerd
I have never taken appart a tranny before so I cant really be much help on that.

Sometimes those free wheeling pins can be a pain to get free. I was always Fortunate that Mine were not that tough to get free. But try what mjodrey said.
Just remember to go slow, because they break very easy...

Also If you have any pictures of your Bolens we would love to see them :bounce:

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 10, 2010 - 05:40 AM

Welcome to the forum, Enginerd
I have never taken appart a tranny before so I cant really be much help on that.

Sometimes those free wheeling pins can be a pain to get free. I was always Fortunate that Mine were not that tough to get free. But try what mjodrey said.
Just remember to go slow, because they break very easy...

Also If you have any pictures of your Bolens we would love to see them :bounce:

The freewheel pin on one of my 1050's was stuck. I don't have a torch, so PB Blaster and lots of gentle tapping with a brass hammer did the trick for me. As stated... be very careful of the casting. The drive collar portion of mine was already broke.

#5 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 10:22 AM

I spent a few more hours on the 800 this weekend. I moved recently, and I can't find my propane torch, so I've abandoned the frozen pin project while I worked on some other issues.

After staring at the bent input shaft for quite awhile, I can't figure out how to remove/swap it. The other transmission I have has a bad 3rd gear. It looks like I might be able to pull that gear out and swap it with the one on my running tractor, and then just swap the transmissions. If this works, then my frozen pin problem is also solved. Plus, the tranny with the bent input shaft also leaks like a sieve, so this solves my seal problems too.

I'll keep everyone posted, and try to get some pictures this week.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Goodluck and keep us posted.
Here is a link to the Tubeframe repair manual.
It explains how to assemble the trans. Posted Image

#7 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the link. I actually have a hard copy of this manual, which is the other thing I've been staring at and scratching my head. It makes perfect sense from a "put it together" standpoint. However, reversing the process is less obvious. Getting the bearing races out from the inside is the part that has me stumped. I can't figure out a way to get the leverage I need without breaking something.

On a side note, did you buy a bunch of Bolens stuff from a guy in Saratoga recently? I just picked up a single cylinder diesel that I intend to use to re-power a Bolens (either this one or another one, depending on my luck getting a decent working transmission). He told me he sold some stuff to someone from the Buffalo area, and I'd swear he said the screen name was something with "1000" in it. Just curious.

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, last summer I picked up a 800 and 850 from a guy in The saratoga area...

#9 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 11:19 PM

This little project has been a great excuse to buy some tools. Using my shiny new set of spring pin punches and gear pullers, I got the brake drum off and was able to swap out third gear from one transmission to the other. I was never able to figure out how to get the input shaft out, but this is probably the better solution, since the tranny I am using now appears to be less leaky.

Here is a pic of the tractor (plus the disassembled parts tractor in the background), and a pic of 3rd gear.

Tractor

3rd Gear

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:41 AM

Glad to hear you got her fixed! :dancingbanana:

I put the pictures right here on the thread for you :thumbs:

Tractor..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 3rd gear..jpg

#11 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 08:49 AM

I need to change the seals in my tranny thought it looks tough but ill tackle it soon.
I think i bought some stuff off that guy in saratoga also i bought a 1220 a plow and tiller from a guy up there

#12 Kiwi OFFLINE  

Kiwi

• Member No: 2440
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Am I ever glad I found you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I am way down in New Zealand. I/ll start at the beginning. I bought a really old rusty mower a long time ago with an S7D Wisconsin engine on it and deloveloped a funny sort of love for the engines. I bored it and fitted an S10D piston and it ran really well until it broke the camshaft in half while turning it over one day. I bought another mower that was advertised as having an S7D engine with starter generator and a spare engine assembly. I saw it and just ad to have it because of how it looked, it is green with a yellowish stripe along the bonnet. I have had it for about ten years . I once put some photos on a site in the US thi nking it was a John Deere but some guy told me that it was not a JD but couldnt/wouldnt tell me what it was. Tonight I found out by looking bat your site yahooooo. It is a 1963 Bolens Husky 800 in totally unmolested condition. I bought a VH4D engine today and want to build a mower around it, I briefly thought about repowering the Husky with it(its bloody good to be able to call it by name) but because of its condition I now no longer want to touch it with anything but a spanner. So thanks for your photos and information guys, just awesome.

Goodluck and keep us posted.
Here is a link to the Tubeframe repair manual.
It explains how to assemble the trans. Posted Image

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

We would love to see pictures of your Bolens if you have any
  • Kiwi said thank you

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 25, 2011 - 06:31 AM

Kiwi,:welcometogttalk:
Glad to have you with us.
  • Kiwi said thank you

#15 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted March 25, 2011 - 01:33 PM

I saw it and just ad to have it because of how it looked, it is green with a yellowish stripe along the bonnet.

Welcome! Can you post some pics? I have a '63 800 as well. Does the green paint look aftermarket or original? I'm wondering if you had different paint scheme's down there. It sure wouldn't surprise me if it was original. Bolens was good at a lot of things, but brand recognition was not one of them. I imagine the marketing meetings to have gone something like this:

"Keeping the same colors is boring. Let's paint it the frames green, then switch to gold, then to brown, then tan, then back to green (but not the same green). And while we are at it, let's put gold decks on the gold mowers, but put green decks on the brown mowers. Make it a different green than the other two greens we have used, and just to be crazy we'll paint the gearbox yellow. Keep the green decks when we switch to the tan mowers, but then switch to a red mower. Then we will end by matching the mower to the green tractor"

I can't imagine why that strategy didn't prove effective in the long run.