• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chritter OFFLINE  

Chritter
  • Member No: 8896
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am hoping that some knowledgable members can help me decide if I'm making a good choice in buying a Cub Cadet LTX 1050 from Home Depot. I've read lots of posts that say not to buy from HD because dealers won't service them. I've heard others say that there are problems with these machines regardless of where you buy them (blade belt jumps off, transmission belt jumps off, idler pulley spring snaps). Some say that it's a great mower, especially with the Kawasaki. My qusetion I guess is whether the Kawasaki motor makes the whole tractor more dependable? I'm thinking about going with the Husqvarna YTH24K48 instead because they get higher reliability marks in Consumer Reports. I can get the LTX 1050 for $1799, the YTH 24K48 (Kohler Courage) for $1804, so the same price. Help! Thanks!

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:38 PM

For that kind of money my acvice is to find a good used vintage GT. I have no experience with either of these particular models but having recently seen the offerings from both Cub and Husqy I would say they are going to both be good at cutting grass nicely and able to pull a small lawn cart or grass bagger. Having been around similar units of both brands I cannot say there is an advantage of one over the other in my own opinion. One thing I will note is that I think MTD (Cub Cadets parent company) makes some of the best performing cutting decks for small lawn tractors. On the flip side I am good buddies with a guy that has sold Husqvarna's for 15 years and has had good luck with them. Wish I had better advice, but that is my experience.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:35 AM

Chritter,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.I am not familiar with that model of Cub Cadet.I know the MTD built Cub Cadets are nothing like IH built ones,but they still are not a bad machine.

I assume you want one just for mowing the lawn.

Edited by mjodrey, March 04, 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:46 AM

In my opinion, you'd be better off with the Husky. Not because I'm a big Husky fan, though their machines are alright, but rather because of the Dealer connection. There's a reason why there are dealers. They know the machines they sell and are trained to repair them properly. Also, if you do have problems, you will not get any help from Home Depot! Once they make the sale, their part is done.

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Caseguy has a good point on the dealer connection. If you have a Cub Cadet dealer in your area you may be able to get the cub for the same price as you can at Home Depot. When I used to work at Tractor Supply MTD regulated the price on the Cub Cadet tractors and they were to be sold at the same price by everyone so there was no competition between the big box stores on them. And it's possible you might be able to deal with a regular servicing dealer on the price.
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 11:06 AM

I have a 2010 Cub GT2544 and I like it a lot, as others have said it does cut very well. But I really don't think it is made as well as my old IH made Cubs. I did buy it from a dealer for service/warrenty reasons and I stepped up to the shaft drive like my old Cubs, one less belt to jump off and/or wear out. I only expect it to cut grass and pull a light wagon, NOT to do any real work like the older Cubs. I have a friend who switched away from Husky because of the down time waiting on parts (to be fair that may just be this dealers problem, not all Husky dealers)
Good luck with your decision, in todays market it is a daunting task to get quality and service in the same place for a price that is not out of sight.

#7 Chritter OFFLINE  

Chritter
  • Member No: 8896
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to see what I can get for used, and if I buy new, I'll go through a dealer. Since no one commented, I assume that having a Kawi (better motor, more torque) isn't going to boost the model's overall reliability.

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to see what I can get for used, and if I buy new, I'll go through a dealer. Since no one commented, I assume that having a Kawi (better motor, more torque) isn't going to boost the model's overall reliability.

Kawasaki's are good without a doubt. At the same time though Kohler's are a heck of an engine as well and are in fact my engine of choice.