• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 qtrhrs86 OFFLINE  

qtrhrs86
  • Member No: 33913
  • 10 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Just like Jason Aldean, Eric Church, and Luke Bryan say: Full Throttle Wide Open     :rocker2:  

#62 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 02:18 PM

I tought I had answered this topic but upond reading it again I am not too sure if I did  :(

Anyway. I usually read the operator manuals for all the GTs I get. and so far its always full throttle or go to full then back down a little.

Putting around I usually go from just below 1/2 to 3/4 depending on the need for ground speed.

Up the steep hill,mowing blowing snow, rototilling I go for to full

Pulling loads 3/4 to full

When I put full throttle I always back down just a bit to like 13/16th and the engine sounds like its going smoothly on all my machines. I also respect this 13/16th for all my snowmobiles, the dune buggy and the trail bike too. the dont have hydro trannys but the engine just doesnt sound like it wants to split in two. :thumbs:

#63 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 02:41 PM

I find it depends on the Hydro. The JD314 with the sundstrand hydro is happy from about 2500 up. On the newer JD's I've had with the K series hydros they like the engine to be revved up pretty much to max. speed. 

• hatedge said thank you

#64 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:30 PM

I find it depends on the Hydro. The JD314 with the sundstrand hydro is happy from about 2500 up. On the newer JD's I've had with the K series hydros they like the engine to be revved up pretty much to max. speed. 

Ahhhh! well that could be true cos all the GTs I have have K series engines. Dont wanna start an argument but I think these are probably the best engines. Ive heard Wisconsin were real good but Ive never come accross one yet. Not a big fan of BS and tecumseh, but thats me  :D

Maybe I just havent been lucky but in snowmobiling kohler is also present. Being an avid antique snomobile tinkerer I tend to trust them

Edited by hatedge, July 17, 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#65 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:41 PM

I meant the K series hydros that JD uses. Made by Kanzaki I think, which is a division of Yanmar. The JD475 I had was a K92 transmission, the biggest one they put in GT's and it liked the engine revved up to produce good power. 

• hatedge said thank you

#66 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I meant the K series hydros that JD uses. Made by Kanzaki I think, which is a division of Yanmar. The JD475 I had was a K92 transmission, the biggest one they put in GT's and it liked the engine revved up to produce good power. 

Sorry it wont happen again..... today :rolling:

#67 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sorry it wont happen again..... today :rolling:

I had the old JD314 out today to do a bit of box blade work. The Sundstrand transmission is perfectly happy at 2700rpms even pulling a blade. 

• hatedge said thank you

#68 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Had my Massey (that started this thread) out mowing today.  Outside temp was about 91 F or so.  Mowed for about 1 hour, up and down some hills, mostly at slower speeds, running the motor at full throttle due to running the cutting deck.  As I was wrapping things up, I began to smell something like a hot oil smell.  I looked down and saw oil bubbling out the overflow tube (the upside down "J") .  Since I was tilted sideways at the time, with the overflow tube on the downhill side, I figured that was the issue.  However, after running the tractor back to the shed, I measured the transmission and found that the temperature was around 194 degrees F!

So, I need to look at the cooling fan, make sure it is oriented correctly and still in good shape, and I need to make sure the brake band is releasing.  Are there any other things I should look at?

#69 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Looking for overheating information I found this, could have been useful while Tudor and I were talking about torque output and speed of a hydro vs a geared.  It came from this page, which might also be useful to some one some day:

http://service.mtdpr...S/section_6.pdf

Transmission comparison.JPG

#70 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Took a look at the situation after things had cooled off.  I currently have the brake set, which I usually do when I park the tractor.  I strongly suspect an engaged brake problem, as I haven't been able to adjust the hydro drive idler pulley to completely dis-engage when the brake is on.  I did look for that first thing, but it did appear to be dis-engaged at the time I looked.  A quick glance at the fan does not show anything wrong.  

• MH81 said thank you

#71 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Took a look at the situation after things had cooled off.  I currently have the brake set, which I usually do when I park the tractor.  I strongly suspect an engaged brake problem, as I haven't been able to adjust the hydro drive idler pulley to completely dis-engage when the brake is on.  I did look for that first thing, but it did appear to be dis-engaged at the time I looked.  A quick glance at the fan does not show anything wrong.  

This thread is getting even more interesting. Keep us posted on this high temp thing I am very curious as to what caused it and how to avoid the same happening to me.

#72 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Howard, from reading tech manuals, it seems the normal full op temp for most hydro's is around 185F, so you weren't all that hot really.

• KennyP and hatedge have said thanks

#73 carolspain OFFLINE  

carolspain
  • Member No: 43834
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:05 AM

This is good info

• hatedge said thank you

#74 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 11:01 PM

This is good info

It sure is, Olcow always has some good tech stuff and some very decent advice.

Edited by hatedge, August 23, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#75 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 01:49 PM

That is good to know... I know I would assume that that they would run similar temps as an automotive automatic trans. I assume that if the hydro has a aux port for a deck lift you could run the return through a cooler to help bring them back down.