12 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:12 PM

I was doing some research on plowing speeds for moldboard plows and came across the following publication :
http://www.soil.ncsu...nd Traction.pdf

I noticed it gave a figure of 3 to 5 mph for plowing. Checking the Massey manual, 2nd gear tops out at 3.4 mph. 3rd gear runs the whole gamut of recommended speeds. I've only plowed once, and that was with a hydro. Can anyone tell me what gear they are using when plowing? Do these recommendations seem right to anyone else?

Thanks

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:37 PM

If i remember correctly i used 2nd gear with var speed lever at 5.It did pretty well considering i didn't put any weights in the rear.It should've had them though.It also all depends on ground type also.The garden i plowed at my grandfathers i used 3rd and it did great.Alot of trial and error.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:47 PM

I was doing some research on plowing speeds for moldboard plows and came across the following publication :
http://www.soil.ncsu...%20Traction.pdf

I noticed it gave a figure of 3 to 5 mph for plowing. Checking the Massey manual, 2nd gear tops out at 3.4 mph. 3rd gear runs the whole gamut of recommended speeds. I've only plowed once, and that was with a hydro. Can anyone tell me what gear they are using when plowing? Do these recommendations seem right to anyone else?

Thanks

Well to put it simply ,In my opinion,their is a large differance between mold board plows. Garden plows flighting or mold board are mostly designed to turn sod at a slower speed than typical farm plows. Trial and error is my method of setting garden plows. My 12" brinley seems to do a little better going a little faster,then my 10" sears. There is a lot of real knowlegable plow guys here on site. Good luck and have fun, Shawn
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I'm not an expert but have done a lot of plowing with my mf12. I have loaded 26X12X12 ags tires with wheel weights so traction is never a problem. The conditions in which your plowing, with a little experimenting will let you know what gear to use. If you don't know whats in the ground your plowing I would take it slower, I twisted an axle off when I hooked a large tree root in forth gear and couldn't get to the clutch in time. At PA Plow Day last year I used 2nd, 3rd, and 4th depending on how fast the tractor in front of me was going. If no one was in front of me I used 4th at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle most of the time as soil conditions were great and I had power to spare (you don't want to over work/overheat the engine by lugging it to much). I find in harder soil conditions its seems better to go slower so the plow does'nt just skip over shallow.
  • grand, tractorgarden and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Good advice Dan. My limited experience tells me to follow your advice and just adjust your speed to the current soil conditions.Each soil type may require a different speed.

#6 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 03:19 PM

If it where me I would use 2 gear.Plowing is not a speed contest.I would not worry about the guy in front of me or back.You should plow where you feel comfortable.Later Josh

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 04:37 PM

If it where me I would use 2 gear.Plowing is not a speed contest.I would not worry about the guy in front of me or back.You should plow where you feel comfortable.Later Josh

I agree plowing is not a speed contest and yes you should plow at you own comfortable speed. With a gear drive mf12 with a well adjusted variable speed you can change speeds quite a bit in any gear. At PA Plow Day I started out plowing in 3rd but found I was running at high rpm to achieve the results I wanted (plow depth, soil rolling over nice) I found with the soil conditions I could run in 4th at much lower rpms and if I got to a tough spot I could still pull back on the vari-drive and raise the rpms a bit without pushing the guy in front of me. Sometimes there were spots I knew were a little harder or there would be a slower tractor a head and I'd drop a gear, plow days are about having fun and nobody enjoys someone riding their a$$. I really like plowing with the mf12 as the gear drive doesn't rob as much power as a hydro and between the variable speed and throttle you can adjust your speed substantially without stopping. This year I'll be plowing with a mf14 and amf 1014 so I'll have to get used to running higher rpms to keep the hydro's happy and cool. If its you first time plowing I suggest starting in a slow 2nd, your gonna be looking backwards more than frontwards.
  • josh deaven said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Speed.....You have to use enough to roll the soil over, but it certainly shouldn't be flying off the moldboard like spray from a speedboat either. My surprise was more at what the "official" speed recommendation meant in terms of gear selection. Somehow I didn't think these tractors were able to pull a plow like that without gearing down more. And certainly a clay soil will pull harder than a loose sandy soil. In terms of going easy on the equipment, I suppose the varidrive should be at the highest setting possible in the lowest gear that gives a decent speed, in this case 2nd gear. Our speed when plowing our farm was often limited more by what the seat could endure than by the soil, as we were opening land that had previously been woodland. Holes dug out to remove stumps coupled with the occasional large root that could jolt the tractor made for some interesting riding.

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 05:00 PM

This year I'll be plowing with a mf14 and amf 1014 so I'll have to get used to running higher rpms to keep the hydro's happy and cool.

I've seen where it isn't recommended to plow with a hydro. Is it a case of "if you have a choice, chose gear, otherwise use the hydro properly"?

If its you first time plowing I suggest starting in a slow 2nd, your gonna be looking backwards more than frontwards.

:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: I used to be pretty adept at looking over my shoulder. The years have stiffened my poor neck and losing sight in one eye hasn't helped either. Plus, with the full size tractor we had, the fender made a nifty armrest to help you get turned around. :bounce: :bounce:

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've seen where it isn't recommended to plow with a hydro. Is it a case of "if you have a choice, chose gear, otherwise use the hydro properly"?

SHHHHH better not tell my tractors that. My 1855 is my goto machine. The hydro and transaxle were made for all ground engagement implements.
DSCF2280.jpg
DSCF2283.jpg

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 11:37 PM

LOL coldone.......Slight difference between an 18 hp tractor and a 12 hp one. Now, if you want to pull a 15 inch plow, that ought to be about the right extra amount of drag for all those ponies. :rolling: :rolling:

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:09 AM

WOW! I thought I was exagerating about soil flying off the moldboard. Check out this video:

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 12:11 PM

I started out with a Sears suburban 12, thats what I broke all my new ground with. I experimented with different speeds, I always ended up in 2 low. I will tell you that I just about broke my ribs trying out 2 hi. I was just trying out that speed, it was about the 2nd or 3rd plowing. I figured I had already busted up everything and pulled up all the roots. Well I didnt. I had a good head of steam going and dirt was flying, then came the root. About the size of my forearm, stopped the tractor dead, I kept going, right into the steering wheel. Left me with a nice bruise and bent stuff on the plow. Lesson learned, speed aint everything.