• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buxy OFFLINE  

buxy

• Member No: 8323
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:49 PM

Case lawn tractor with Onan 18 hp. Did a tune up and carb kit and plowed snow for a day just fine. I tried to start her the next day and she just wont fire. Lots of gas and battery is good. It turns over but just wont catch. Any suggestions???

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:57 PM

This has nothing to do with it, but always remember to check oil level before starting motor.

Did a wire come loose? Is there 12 volts to the coil? Points wire grounding out? Could be anything. Probably something simple. Take your time, relax, go over your checklist. You'll find it.
  • buxy said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Do you have 12V at the coil? If not, I would start at the ignition switch and check for voltage through all the safety switches until you get to the coil
  • buxy said thank you

#4 buxy OFFLINE  

buxy

• Member No: 8323
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 01:12 PM

thanks for the responses. I am very rookie to mechanics (i.e have never actually troubleshot and fixed a motor) so these suggestions are helpful. \what else could be on the <checklist> ?

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 01:29 PM

Spark plug, plug wire(s), coil(s). That should be a 2 cylinder engine. It will usually run on one cylinder, so I would focus on items before the coils, i.e. the ignition switch, wire connections, etc...
  • buxy said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 03:10 PM

I would start with what I did first. You said you did a tune up and carb kit. Have you pulled the plug(s) are the fuel fouled? it could be you are flooding the eng. Take the plugs out and either clean them off or use a new one. Put the plug in the spark plug lead and hold it with insulated pliers and put the ground strap to the head. Get some one to bump it over in a dark place. Do you have spark? If not then look at the ignition circuit. If you do have spark then check the carb and make sure you put the float together correctly and that it is infact shutting off the fuel. In either case if the tractor was running OK before you did the maintenance I double check when I did first before running off to other areas. If you can get a service manual and an illustrated part breakdown for your tractor both are invaluable.
  • buxy said thank you

#7 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 12:14 AM

There's a couple service manuals posted in the files section that should be of help to you.
http://gardentractor...case-ingersoll/
The Troubleshooting the Engine manual will have your checklist and the Electrical System manual has some ignition test procedures.
  • buxy said thank you

#8 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Our 446 would not start after using it to mow with one time,we found that the carb.has a pulsation pump on it for the fuel pump the gas tank is under the seat and was to far for the weak pulsation pump to pull the fuel.It turned over just like it always did but no start,I dumped gas down in the carb,it started just fine until it burned all the fuel out.I put an electric fuel pump with a regulator on it setting the pressure down to 2 psi.of pressure and it starts every time.So maybe that is the problem our having.Let us know.
  • buxy said thank you