16 replies to this topic

#16 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:49 PM

First thing I would try is to tap around the outside of the cast pulley with a small hammer and see if it will free up. Sounds like the clutch disk is rusted to the pulley. Could also have a frozen PTO bearing as well. Also check the "button" in the center of the pulley and the three fingers which are the springs and make sure nothing is broken. If all else fails the clutch may have to come off in which case there are 6 setscrews that need to come out to get it off the crankshaft. There are only three holes where the setscrews are in but there is two in each hole. The first one in the hole on the bottom is pointed to lock the clutch onto the bearing on the crank and the second is a backup setscrew which is blunt and designed to lock down the first setscrew. Once these are out the pulley usually is a real bugger from there to get off. About the only way I have found to get them off is by tapping on the cast pulley from the engine side tapping outward towards the grill and going around it evenly to get it off. It can take some time and I usually say some things under my breath while I'm doing it but it should eventually come off.

Edited by IHCubGuy, March 03, 2012 - 10:51 PM.

• 1967bolens collector said thank you

#17 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 12:03 AM

thanks i will look into it