IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:47 AM

As Olcowhand said, that's a tough one to answer, not knowing what you're looking at getting into.
Any particular issues your having with the MF, or reasons why you're thinking of changing?

#17 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Wellll, if you really want to downgrade, I guess green isn't too bad. :mecry:

It is your choice.

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Trump,
I was only kidding about my comment above. You do what you feel is right, and what you think you'll be happy with collecting. I, as a John Deere collector, will say, that John Deere's are expensive. I know that most tractors right now are going for a reasonable amount of money, due to the demand of everybody collecting them right now, but for some reason, John Deere's seem to sell for more money.

Josh Deaven and I were talking one day, and we both agreed, that for someone just getting into collecting John Deere garden tractors in todays world, is really tough. You just can't find the complete tractors anymore, for less than $200.00, like you could back in, let's say the early '90's. You can barely touch a parts tractor now days for less than that. I was fortunate, as I started my collection in 1989, way before the garden tractors were thought about being collected. Back then you could get an almost complete parts tractor for around $75.00. Today? You're lucky to buy a set of wheels for that price.

What am I recommending? I guess I'm saying, John Deere's are expensive, and although parts can still be found, they won't be cheap. I don't know what the percentage of Massey collectors are out there, but I do know that the percentage of John Deere collectors, is very high, compared to most brands, so be prepared to have to pay a little more for what you want. Changing brands right now, is what I'd consider starting all over again, and take my word for it, you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

No matter what you choose to do, just know we will support you in your decision. Me personally, I think I would just keep what you have, and be happy with it. Maybe times will come, that you can through a little green into the mix, but I don't think I'd get rid of one brand completely, and start all over again with another.

Just my two cents worth, but I hope it helps in your decision.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 08:09 PM

There's a lot of good information in this thread! I'd have to say that I can't see any reason to get rid of all of one brand to make room for another. I currently have 3 different brands. It's a choice that you'll have to live with, so choose carefully. Another idea you might consider is that you could pick up a JD and see how you feel about it before getting rid of your Massey.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Trump, are ya gonna tell us what you're thinking of in green? Personally, the 1655 is a heck of a machine, and hard to beat in any make. Knowing the mechanical condition of your 1655 is also a big point when considering this.

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 08:55 PM

If you feel that this is something you want to do and feel that its right for you then thats up to you. Being Red or green or orange doesn't really matter as long as your happy with your choice For me Massey has always been the brand I like and for me thats what works. Massey seems to be in my blood heck come to think of it there the same color as my blood. LOL Larry

So when you get hurt, nothing stains the paint :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#22 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 08:57 PM

As others have said this is a personal decision that depends a lot on your personal situation and preferences. I personaly have owned mostly massey's but I AM NOT a massey collector - I AM a garden tractor collector. If you put a good gt deal in front of me and I have the means to buy it at the time I'll buy it, regardless of the brand. I wouldn't want to deprive myself from appreciating all the great gt brands by going brand specific. If the tractor fits your needs and you like it then its the tractor for you.
  • grand, JDBrian and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#23 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:01 PM

As others have said this is a personal decision that depends a lot on your personal situation and preferences. I personaly have owned mostly massey's but I AM NOT a massey collector - I AM a garden tractor collector. If you put a good gt deal in front of me and I have the means to buy it at the time I'll buy it, regardless of the brand. I wouldn't want to deprive myself from appreciating all the great gt brands by going brand specific. If the tractor fits your needs and you like it then its the tractor for you.

You sure said that very well Dan. I still only own Bolens, but who knows on down the road.Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

#24 Trump OFFLINE  

Trump

• Member No: 2082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:50 PM

ok well where is a good place to list the 2 masseys currently have?

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:01 PM

If you want to list them for sale you can list them in the classifieds which can be found by clicking on the classifieds tab in the top navigation or at http://gardentractor...ms/classifieds/

#26 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 09:50 PM

I find the JD's over priced around here. I can but 3-4 Masseys for 1 John Deere. I'd love to have one, but if everyone who has one thinks they are made of gold then no thanks!

#27 Trump OFFLINE  

Trump

• Member No: 2082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:43 PM

if i keep them i would have to repower and than the deck would come next my 2nd machine is only missing the engine but i have started a new job and do not have much time for working on them the deere i think is a 445 and ready to go if i sell i feel it would take the sting out of the price

#28 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 12:39 AM

I like to consider "AND", not "OR". Collect both John Deere AND Massey Ferguson. Collect both Red AND Green. Very festive color combination.

#29 Masseyman OFFLINE  

Masseyman
  • Member No: 8947
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:38 PM

You may not need to list them. Let me know what you want for them & where your at. If not too far I might be interested.