GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:41 PM

After over 45 years wrenching and 20+ of that in small engines and golf mowers I am finally working on an Onan engine.

I picked up a 1976 Sears SS16 a couple days ago and it came with a "spare engine", apparently the engine that is in the tractor is the wrong engine and the spare is the one out of the tractor. The manual for the tractor says it should have a BF-MS/2666C which is the spare and the engine in the tractor is a BF-MS/2833E.

The PO said the correct engine was re-ringed and valve guides and valves were replaced about 100 hours ago but then if that is true why isn't it the one in the tractor? I ask myself. When I asked the PO for engine numbers a couple of months ago he sent me the ones for the spare engine not the one in the tractor.

The only differences I can see from the outside is the points style and "points box". The deal came with a set of points and a condenser that fit the 2666C set up. First question is can I take the points box from one and put it on the other one and call it the 2666C?

The deal also came with a brand new carb (box says part number 142-0663 which is supposed to be the one for the 2666C engine) but the new carb does not have the built on fuel pump but I also got a new Onan fuel pump (part number 149-1982) with it. The receipt for the pump was in the box and sold in 1996 for $45.51. The carb is listed on the Sears part site for $500 and change. Second question is can I use the new Carb with the new fuel pump?

In the box of parts there is another engine pulley that has the same diameter inner drive pulley but the attachment outer pulley is about an inch larger in diameter. Third question which is the right one? I did forget to measure the crankshaft diameter so maybe that is why there are two.

I bought the tractor to run the Roto-Spade that came with so it's being 100% stock is not an issue. I just want something to work. Heck I have even looked at pulling the B&S 18 Hp opposed twin out of the Craftsman and putting it sideways in the SS16.
I can get photos tomorrow if that will help.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 02, 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Basically the same engines. Points boxes will interchange. I like the later models where the points cover simply slides down over everything, instead of the earlier style that you removed the back plate off the box. ...much harder to adjust the points.
  • GTTinkerer and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 09:00 PM

I thought they looked alike and was going to make sure tomorrow by swapping one of them over. It does look much easier to adjust the one screw type, similar to the GM cars and trucks when they added the slide open window to adjust the dwell instead of having to rely on just gapping the points. I found the points and condenser on eBay for about $25.

I do plan on getting both engines running but will start with the one in the tractor now. Will need an intake manifold for one of them.

Thanks,

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Bill, I may have an intake if it's still on my shelf.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 11:41 PM

God, please let me know how much and I'll send the money by Paypal.

Thanks,

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 11:49 PM

Is there a way to time them with a timing light by slightly opening and closing the point gap?

I will take a look in the manuals to see if there is anything there.

Thanks.

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 02, 2012 - 11:57 PM.