Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Engine (Kohler 321S) Blew, Possible Rebuild?

engine kohler 14 k321s

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hey All

So I was about to park my MF14 (Dynamark 14) and I heard a weird noise. I looked around and thought maybe it was a hole in the muffler, but found a hole in the crank case. In that hole I could see a gear.

After much anger and engine removal, I split the oil pan and looked inside. One of the balance gears blew a bearing and got chewed up. All other gears, crank, camshaft etc are fine and still look good, but I have 2 problems.

Problem one: I have a 1" x 1" hole in the crankcase

Problem two: The casted mount for the balance gear split in two.

I've talked to some of my wrench head buddies and they said the crank case hole isn't that big of a deal as it just needs to be sealed off. (Looking for other opinions here...)

For the casted mount for the balance gear shaft... what can I do? I attached the pics of inside the crank case so you can look and make suggestions. I have a friend that is a journeyman machinist. I'm wondering if we can maybe bore out that hole a bit and insert a sleeve of some variety to rebuild this puppy.

Please provide me your thoughts! I know there are tons of smart people on here that probably have experience with this!

Much appreciated all!

Frenchy

#2 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Here are the pics... didn't work first time.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20120229-00418.jpg
  • IMG-20120229-00419.jpg
  • IMG-20120229-00420.jpg

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:58 PM

The balance gears our optional equiptment in my opinion. I have been running without them in my AMF1014 for 10 years. If it were me, I would find a block,or repair without worring about the balance shafts. Check with the others,and decide for yourself. Shawn
  • frenchy said thank you

#4 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:13 PM

hey Shawn

Just did some heavy googling and it appears that you and the majority of the population are on the same page. I'll likely seal up the pin holes from the shafts and then find a way to fix the hole that busted through the crank case.

thanks!
Frenchy
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 07:05 AM

About 15 years ago we had the same thing happen to a Kohler M16S on a Toro greensmower. I replaced the engine on the mower and took the blown engine home.

I MIG welded a 10 gauge patch over the hole and covered the patch with JB weld to help seal any small holes that may have been caused by oil remaining in the cast block. I reassembled the engine without the balance gears and installed the engine on my son's Sears Suburban 12. Still running fine today although most of the JB weld has fallen off.
  • frenchy said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:34 AM

You can run it without the balance gears with no problem. As for the block, if you can find the piece that came out, just JB it back in, if not fit a piece of mild steel plate over the hole and JB weld to the block, you won't have any issues as long as the bearing journals were not damaged. Good Luck!!
  • frenchy said thank you

#7 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the help guys! It's funny, my buddy at work said the exact same thing this morning about JB! Will fix 'er up and post pics as a thank you to all of you!

Frenchy

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 12:22 PM

Around her we think JB Weld or Duct tape will fix everything except broken hearts. ( my wife hates duct tape) And I have to have some fun fixing something with it. Looks like you have it clean but clean some more, It has to be Clean for it to bond.
  • frenchy said thank you

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 12:49 PM

Take the block to a decent welder, he can deal that hole up right nice with nickel welding rod.
  • frenchy said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'd at least tack weld that piece in with nickel rod. Tack it in several places, then cover in JB Weld or similar. I've welded in 2x2" holes & never had an issue since. I completely weld them though, just a short 1/4" of weld at a time, allowing maybe a minute cool time between stitches. As soon as finished welding, I take acet torch & heat the area of the weld & surrounding area, then let cool slowly. I still JB Weld over the top to seal off any cold cracks that can form in welding cast. Toss those balance gears in any Kohler K single!
  • frenchy said thank you

#11 jlpowell OFFLINE  

jlpowell

• Member No: 8518
  • 3 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 11:28 PM

why take a chance on jb. do yourself a favor just braze a piece over the hole. brazing flows into all uneven surface for a oil tight seal
  • frenchy said thank you

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 01:35 AM

Brazing or welding both work fine. Use the one you are most comfortable with. Take the time to prep the surfaces correctly and you will reduce your chances of pin holes greatly.
Good luck with your project.
  • frenchy said thank you

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:56 PM

You don't need the balance gears as others have said. The JD 300 series tractors after the initial 300 do not have them. My 314 has a K321 and does not have the balance gears. It vibrates a lot if you idle it too low but the manual calls for an idle of 2200. At that speed it's pretty smooth.
  • frenchy said thank you

#14 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 08:37 PM

hey all

so the engine is back together. I ended up using JB Weld and the remaining piece that I had left of the crankcase and sealed it up. I also sealed the shaft hole from the busted balance gear shaft.

I started the engine and had a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust and other parts, but that's probably just the cleaners I used and other oils etc that may have been on there.

The couple of weird things that I wanted to mention are:

1. The governor seems a bit wonky. Works intermittently.
2. There is a bit of smoke coming from the crankcase breather after revving at higher RPMs.

A friend of mine said the smoke from the crankcase may be if I didn't put the piston rings back in the way they came out. I didn't see that in the manual and didn't know better. So I'm hoping they will re-seat and not be an issue anymore.

Any comments on either? I made sure the crank and the governor timing marks matched, so unless there's something else I missed.... I think it should be all good.

thanks again all for the help!

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:38 PM

Glad you got it running again. Have you done the governor adjustment that is in the Kohler manual? If it's out of whack it may not govern properly. It's a pretty easy adjustment. Also if the carb is out of adjustment it can make the governor hunt.
  • frenchy said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, kohler 14 k321s