#76 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 06:47 AM

Unfortunately, your right Allen, some of the loss of life is preventable. Perhaps I can offer an explanation. I've lived my entire life in "Tornado Alley" and have seen so many events, that I can smell one coming. In 1950s Kansas, Weather technology was an infant and visual ID was the best warning over the flatlands, and virtually nothing at night. I don't think we had radar at all. Everyone had a plan for safety/ Most had basements, or shelters.

It was common--and still is today--to have to take cover several times a week and wait out "potential tornado" conditions. Spring cook-outs, kids' ball games, supper on the stove, etc. were constantly being interrupted. People become annoyed and wait 'til the last minute to be certain a tornado actually develops. Sitting in a shelter for an hour or two can be annoying. Instead of being thankful "it didn't hit", we grumble about being interrupted.

Now , with great forecasting technology, we wait until the very last second to go to safety. So the technology has lulled some into a false sense of security.

I admit to being guilty of that and only because I was extremely lucky can I tell about it. In '09, I was standing on my porch, sniffing the air like a dog to be sure one was coming, when the porch roof went off and half my shop roof blew off in less than a second. That was an F1. Had it been an F2, you wouldn't know this story.

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 04, 2012 - 06:48 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#77 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:26 AM

I just don't know,the weather,and these storms are getting a lot worse than they used to be.I wonder if it is a sign of things to come?

#78 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:48 AM

We complain about our cold weather up here but being near the north Atlantic tends to protect us from severe weather. We did get nailed by a Cat2 hurricane in 2003. It came straight up Halifax harbour and because these events are so rare here it knocked down thousands of trees and was responsible for 3 deaths including an Emergency Paramedic who was hit by a falling tree while on duty. My prayers go out to all who are dealing with this.

#79 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 01:59 PM

I just don't know,the weather,and these storms are getting a lot worse than they used to be.I wonder if it is a sign of things to come?

Maynard, I wonder the same thing my self. They say we are not even close to the peak of the tornado season, I just hope that the season just peaked early since it has been so warm.

#80 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 07:31 AM

I was watching pictures and videos of this on the news.Man,I just can't believe the devastation .Basically whole neighbourhoods gone.

My prayers go out to all those affected.