Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just Got A Snapper 1650 A....not Sure Where To Go From Here.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • Member No: 8858
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:04 PM

I got an old Snapper 1650 A from my dad. It was left at the house he recently purchased. It had been sitting up for 5 or 6 years. I am not a mechanic so I hired a friend to get it up and running and had another friend build me a blade to drag behind it. I will post pics later.

It depserately needs tires and I would like to go back with something a little more aggressive but I am not sure how "big" I can go. The front tires are currently 16s and the rear tires are 23.5s. They are the standard yard tires.

It has a mower deck with it that is in pretty good shape but when it is lifted all the way up the back is about 3 or 4 inches higher....the front is only 3 or so inches off of the ground so it drags and hangs up a lot when I am not on level ground. Any suggestions here?
Thanks,
Mark

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have a set of i believe they are 26-12x12 lug tires on the rear of my mf 14.They should also fit on your 1650.If you don't want that size rear tire you can put the size back on that was on it and use lug tires instead of turf tires.
  • Juneau said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:39 PM

:wave: juneau Welcome to GTTalk! That's a great tractor you've "inherited"! That should be a pretty decent size tractor and I imagine that 26" tires would be OK! I hope that you enjoy the forum and thanks for signing up!
  • Juneau said thank you

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:54 PM

26X12X12 is about as big as you can go. The factory tires are 23X10.5X12 are cheaper. I use ANCLA atv tires on mine
  • Juneau said thank you

#5 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I have a set of i believe they are 26-12x12 lug tires on the rear of my mf 14.They should also fit on your 1650.If you don't want that size rear tire you can put the size back on that was on it and use lug tires instead of turf tires.

Thanks so much. I was thinking of going with lugs on the rear.
The blade on the back makes it a little difficult to turn unless I sit all the way up....can you get weights for the front or should I just put water in the tires?????

#6 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Coldone. I have a friend that is a tire dealer. I may pay him a visit this weekend..............
Are there any websites for Snapper Tractor boneyards?

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Coldone. I have a friend that is a tire dealer. I may pay him a visit this weekend..............
Are there any websites for Snapper Tractor boneyards?

You can check with one of the site sponsors Bob's Garden Tractors or Patton Acres. They both sell new and used garden tractor parts. Some stuff is still available new through the Massey dealers.
  • Juneau said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Other than decals, this is identical to the Massey 1650a also. You have to lift the deck & measure the clearance between the deck & your current tires. 26" tall tires will be 1 1/2" closer to your deck. The front of your deck being so low is because the front deck links need adjusting.
  • Juneau said thank you

#9 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Other than decals, this is identical to the Massey 1650a also. You have to lift the deck & measure the clearance between the deck & your current tires. 26" tall tires will be 1 1/2" closer to your deck. The front of your deck being so low is because the front deck links need adjusting.

Thanks for that tidbit....I will definitely measure before I order.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:48 PM

OH, about forgot....the tires would be wider too of course, so the clearance for the rear deck wheels comes into play also.
  • Juneau said thank you

#11 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:19 PM

OH, about forgot....the tires would be wider too of course, so the clearance for the rear deck wheels comes into play also.

What about the front tires? Should I go any bigger than 18s? Or should I keep the same difference between the front and rear that are there now?

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 02:11 AM

The 1650 should have 16x6.5-8 fronts and 23x10.5-12 rears. Its big brother, the 1655, uses 18x8.5-8 fronts and 26x12-12 rears. If you change the rears for bigger, you need to change the fronts to match.

Clearance for the mower wheels may be a problem with the bigger tires, but I've seen a thread where the offending wheel was moved sideways on the mower to gain sufficient clearance. The 1655 doesn't have that problem because it's about 4" longer between the wheels.

Sorry guys, I can't change the size of the print for some reason.

Edited by caseguy, March 01, 2012 - 08:22 AM.
fixed font size

• caseguy and Juneau have said thanks

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Mark,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

The 1650 is a great little tractor,have you got any photos?

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:29 AM

...Sorry guys, I can't change the size of the print for some reason.

I fixed the font (print) size for you. When I clicked on it to edit, the entire post was in "superscript". That's the X2 button on the very right of the list of font modifiers (B=bold, I=italic, U=underline, S=strike-through, X2=subscript, X2=superscript).
  • TUDOR and Juneau have said thanks

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Manuals right on this sight to download, check them out. You do have to have a number of posts made to do that, so just post away on anything or in any forum to get that count. Not sure what it is, might be 10 posts?? Ag tires can be gotten pretty good prices and as pairs and with fast delivery from www.greaterclevelandtire.com They are Deestones brand and lots of fellas using them nowdays.
  • Juneau said thank you