#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:33 PM

The pics below are of my small Uniweld "Soft Torch".-its old but I don't know how old- Its perfect for my limited needs but now the regulator is bad. Problem #1 are they rebuildable? Until a couple of hours ago I thought my tank (shown left) was a "B" tank with dissolved Acetylene.

This is why I bought the" FULL 'B' tank with accessories" advertised on CL today. The OOPs moment came when I got home-nothing interchanges except the hand torches themselves and the larger "B" is full of 100 % Acetylene. My tank is an "MC" tank and regulator an MC regulator. You'll notice in the 2nd pic that R is cast into the back housing next to an assembly pad for stamping final use code. The Web has numerous RB regulators but NO R MC regulators. Problem #2 is I now have 3 regulators and the only good one (shown) is an R O and it fits NIETHER TANK.-The 3rd regulator(an RB)-not shown- is junk but the fitting fits the B Tank .

The reason I figure this will take an old timer is that the guys at my gas supplier are clueless unless their computer screen has the answer.

SO, DO I punt? Am I back to square one and $50 lighter or what ? I'm hoping to swap diaphram/spring and rear casting to fit either the MC or B tank-Has anyone done it?

Thankx Lee

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012022920120229_01.JPG
  • 2012022920120229_01_01.JPG

Edited by Toolpartzman, February 29, 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#2 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi Toolpartzman;
You can attempt anything you want with regulators. Personally I send them to someone who deals with them everyday. Ill fated attempts at repair or mods can cost you dearly. Just my 2 cents here. Ignorance is not bliss, it is deadly.

KURT
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Lee, I believe that all commercially available acetylene is "dissolved". We use a lot of acetylene where I work and when the regulators do not work, they are returned to the supplier for repair or replacement. Due to the dangerous nature of the fuel, I do not think it would be wise to attempt a repair yourself. There are adapters available to go from the "MC" size (10 CuFt) regulator to the "B" size (40 CuFt) tank, but not the other way. The reason for this is that releasing the gas at too fast a rate (recommended that it not be more than 1/10 the volume of the container per hour) can lead to a dangerous overheating of the gas and can result in a fire or explosion. There are regulator sets available that are inexpensive and my recommendation would be to replace the regulator and use the "B" tank, however many people in the HVAC industry still use the MC size for soldering and brazing and as such the "MC" regulators can probably be purchased at an HVAC supplier if you should choose to go that way.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Lee, I will check with our welding supply shop and ask them about these regulators you have. I have never seen any acetylene regs with a female fitting on them, that is not to say many years ago they weren't that way. All of gas regs. I have ever used over the last 35+ years have always had male fittings on them.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:52 PM

DO NOT PLAY WITH THE REGULATORS! That will kill you quick especially the acetylene reg.

You have a "turbo torch" a new regulator for the big tank is between $50-$100 and worth every penny. Just run a search on turbo torch and and you should come up with any number of regulators. Most HVAC/R suppliers will have them in stock. If you cant find one in your area let me know.

While you are at it pick up a pair of hearing protectors, those torches get loud.

More info than you will ever need on torches: Victor reference library
http://www.thermadyn...r&categoryID=24
  • ducky and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#6 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:38 PM

This was used in HVAC and its great for soldering and brazing, which is what I've used it for. My old tank was filled about 6 months ago and the label states "dissolved" where the B does not, so I was assuming 100%. I called the seller back for more info and he only used the B tank with the turbo torch. I haven't tried the turbo torch because it was with the pieces I bought today, and has radial venturis at the neck of the tip, which I believe is a mixing feature.

And no I wouldn't attempt a rebuild without a certainty of success. I've rebuilt compressed air regs, but this is a little more serious.

Brian , I'd be interested in what your supplier says also and I may get time to check with another supplier in Little Rock, but the local guys didn't know the time of day.

And CASEGUY-I've seen those adapters, and don't remember a RO to RB but I'll check. and look at HVAC suppliers is a good idea. I love that rig. Its so easy to use and thats why I want it running right again.

Thankx for your your safety concerns guys, but I've flown solo coast-to-coast and set dynamite to blow beaver dams and any risk will be eliminated before I do anything. That's the purpose for posting here. I can get straightforward opinions instead of guesswork from some clerk.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thankx for your your safety concerns guys, but I've flown solo coast-to-coast and set dynamite to blow beaver dams and any risk will be eliminated before I do anything. That's the purpose for posting here. I can get straightforward opinions instead of guesswork from some clerk.

A bad part about the internet is not actually knowing the people you are talking to. Which I am guilty of here. No disrepect was intended.

#8 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 02:37 PM

A bad part about the internet is not actually knowing the people you are talking to. Which I am guilty of here. No disrepect was intended.

No problem whatsoever Coldone-we're cool-no disrespect taken :smilewink: I need to remember that some careless readers could be at risk and not know that some subject matter has certain risk.

#9 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Update: I remembered an "old-timer" friend of mine and took a short drive in the country. My old mc regulator is working fine on the small tank and the B is as well with a junk unit he had.-No Cost. Except that I found a mc reg on line and a re-build kit before I talked to him so I'll have plenty of backup parts that I didn't need after all.

I haven't fired off the turbo torch yet. Maybe after a sandwich.---Thanks everyone.

#10 Guest_Franz©_*

Guest_Franz©_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 03, 2013 - 01:28 AM

1- All acetylene inside of a tank is dissolved in acetone.  Were it not the gas would stand an excellent chance of self detonating because the pressure is above 15 PSI.  There is also a concretious material inside the tank that looks like a sponge  that minimizes movement of the acetone within the tank.

2- All acetylene tanks must be operated in a vertical position.  Drawing gas in horizontal position may deliver acetone to the regulator.  This will give you a nasty green flame which is DANGEROUS.  You either shut the tank down immediately or wish you had.  Then you bleed the gas off, and replace hose.

3- B to MC and MC adapters have existed as long as Prestolite product has been on the market.  That your LWS doesn't know or stock them doesn't surprise me, but the lack of knowledge concerns me.

Fortunately they are available via ePay. Uniweld F-31 is the number for mounting the MC regulator to a B tank.

• Alc and Toolpartzman have said thanks