Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

10 Horse Chinese Air Cooled In A 16 Hp Tractor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:05 AM

As if I don't have enough projects.....

I have a hydrostatic roller that came with a 16hp (an older Deere frame with dubious pedigree, so I wouldn't feel bad about chopping it up to fit). How much of a hit will I take putting one of the air cooled 10 horse chinese diesels in it as opposed to the original 16hp gas motor?

I know the diesel has more "practical real world power" compared to the gas motor in GT applications, but I would be dropping 6 hp...

Would basically just be for mowing and light stuff, so it doesn't have to be a monster....

The 10 hp diesels are cheap and an easy package (no cooling issues, same general size) as opposed to the liquid cooled/multi cylinder diesels.

Still working on the zero turn conversion (another posted project), but the cooling (mitsu 3 cylinder, liquid cooled) and fitment has slowed the project some. So looking to make this simple if I did it...

The 10 horse is more a hypothetical at this point, just wondering how the "less powerful" engine would work...
  • trowel said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think the rule of thumb discussed here was about a 4hp advantage for diesels. That figure was a concensus about multi cylinder liquid cooled engines so it may not apply in your case. To me it would depend on your intended use. If the application needs more than 10hp then you will probably need to slow down a bit with the new engine. On a related note I saw a CC for sale on kijiji today that was a 1572 which has a Kubota diesel. I've never seen one before and that would be a great tractor to have but too much $ for me at this point.

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:25 AM

The 10 horse is more a hypothetical at this point, just wondering how the "less powerful" engine would work...

No hits by me, i do stuff like that sometimes but thanks for making shure it was not a rare or special tractor, a diesel is a compleatly different animal, when rating a diesel to gas i always figure a 5 to 7 HP differents, without doing any mathematical figure a 10 HP diesel should come to about the same HP as a 16 hp gas but will produce much more torque then the gas.
By chinese diesel are you talking about a Yanmar ?

Ah, thank you JDBrian, you posted as i was typing up mines.

Edited by trowel, February 29, 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:27 AM

not a yanmar name brand, but one of the clone engines of that design.
  • trowel said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,342 Thanks
  • 4,934 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Having done several diesel conversion, I'm going to offer my 2 cents worth. I replaced a 20hp magnum with a 16hp diesel and I have yet to run out of power. I replace a 10hp Kohler with a 5hp Lister and broke the differential. That being said, was there ever a version of the tractor you are converting that sold with 14hp and the same deck? In my opinion ( I own 4 diesels) when considering diesel to gas engines in the 10hp to 20hp range, the diesel has at least a 4hp advantage. I'm thinking your 10 to 16hp might be a stretch. If you are not running over a 40 to 42 inch deck you could be OK. Diesel designs vary with the long strokes being real pullers. Were as the Chinese diesels are designed to rev. they will still have a good advantage over gas.
Keep us updated on your project please.

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,359 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 05:54 PM

My rule is ..... There is NO REPLCEMENT for cubic inch displacement! Gas or diesel. If that 10 HP diesel has the same cid as the gas job, go for it, if it is only a different by less than 3 cid, should be fine and equal in power, but outrageously different in fuel eco.

#7 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I agree with Keith that fuel economy is the biggest reason for dieselizing a hardworking GT. From everything I have read (and experienced with my diesel powered CUT) the harder you work your machine the greater the fuel consumption advantage will be. The nature of diesel power is that it loves running under load and that is where you will appreciate it the most.

My 10 HP China clone repower project is progressing slowly. I am replacing a 14 HP Kohler engine in a Case 224 tractor. I don't know when it will be completed but I am looking forward to being able to make the comparison.

Keep us posted on your project!

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like a project.Keep us updated.