• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• Member No: 8550
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:12 PM

So I got me a 1968 500 special, picked it up local for 250$ two years ago, and drive it in my truck. Even came with the right deck and a push plow!

So my dilemma began. After getting it home, I started looking it over. It was pouring out gear oil, the hood was cut to clear the wrong engine, and my clutch spring broke upon loading. The front tires were split down the middle and the seat/fender pan was cracking where someone had drilled and mounted the wrong seat, which was snapped off to just a fiberglass bottom to give you false hope of security.

I wanted to restore this tractor, but was realizing really fast that finding the hh60 engine wasn't exactly easy. Finding one wasn't easy, paying an arm and leg for it was the hard part, so I flat refused to. The decision was made that I will not be putting a Tecumseh on it. The very word Tecumseh is like nails to a chalk board to me anyway.

I swapped out the transmission with one from a parts tractor that was in way better condition, and tinkered with the tractor off and on for the last couple years. I recently decided it was time for the new power plant.

I purchased a 6hp diesel with pull and electric start from Carroll Stream off Ebay for $559 shipped to my door, and couldn't be happier! It came today at about 11:00 a.m. And I was driving it around at 6 pm!

This engine is a beast! It took place of an 8hp Tecumseh, and left it in the dust, or black smoke!

Now the real fun begins, I've got to mount the battery under the seat, since it won't clear where the battery tray is supposed to go, then I have to add a return point in the factory wheel horse tank. And mount a settlement bulb. Building a stack and repair and modify the hood and seat/fenders. Then time to throw down some paint.

I have a killer paint scheme figured out for it, I'll tease you with later. Pics will be uploaded shortly

#2 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:18 PM

ForumRunner_20120228_211328.png

[ATTACH]27304[/ATTACH]

ForumRunner_20120228_211340.png

[ATTACH]27305[/ATTACH]

#3 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Here it is shortly after purchase

ForumRunner_20120228_212142.png

[ATTACH]27306[/ATTACH]

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Looks like a pretty good fit. Congrats on getting it going again! Can't wait to see the paint scheme you've dreamed up!

#5 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I've got some work ahead to make it look proper, in the end it will be worth it. Had a hard time doing this to a 500 special, but no guts no glory!

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Looks to be a fun project! Cant wait to see what your going to do with the paint!

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Looks like you got the engine in there ok.Curious to see your paint scheme.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Kind of reminds me of some of these shows on now that take old cars and bikes and make them into something else or reconfigure them. You hear quite often it was hard to take this vintage such & such and cut it up to do this, but it usually turns out to be a really cool in the end. Looking forward to seeing your really cool result. :)

#9 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:32 AM

It looks like a good project thanks for sharing the pictures. We all look forward to more pictures.

#10 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Kind of reminds me of some of these shows on now that take old cars and bikes and make them into something else or reconfigure them. You hear quite often it was hard to take this vintage such & such and cut it up to do this, but it usually turns out to be a really cool in the end. Looking forward to seeing your really cool result. :)

Exactly!

I was paranoid about the whole project, but test drive #2 really settled my nerves about it! Taking it easy on the diesel, letting it break in. This thing has so much potential fore power its scary! I will never hesitate to buy another!

I put my blade on today and pushed around my brush pile a bit, then pushed a large sapling out of the ground, at Damn near idle. I was planning on just mowing with this tractor, but with results like this, I believe I just turned this 500 Special into a real work horse! I wouldn't hesitate to take this baby to a plow day once it's complete!

I had a muffler shop bend and swell and weld me up a stack today, I still need to cut a flange and align it for final weld. Got lucky and they had a piece of Stainless, so I'm going to polish it up and put on a very necessary Ding-Ding Cap. I'll be able to mount the original fuel tank once the stack is on. The muffler discharges right where the fuel tank sets now.

More to come, going to next week before any more big changes. Like usual, I'll keep you posted

#11 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Sorry I haven't kept up with this... I've had alot going on lately

Engine is broke in and runs better than I ever expected! This little 6 horse has yet to struggle with any workload I challenge it with! I do plan on swapping out the transmission with a hi/lo transmission, just to have the extra grunt range, doubt I'll need it though Lol.

I have the stack on, welded a return line to the fuel tank and installed the tank. I had a bit of a clearance issue with the hood, but it was resolved simply enough. A little thought and a welder took care of it.

The output on the crankshaft is about 1.5 inches taller than the other engine, so far I haven't thought of a way to modify the original belt cover, but I can make a template and have one bent cheap enough

#12 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Progress!

#13 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 12, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Here's the tractor with the hood back on! Almost ready to start preparing for paint!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0398.jpg

#14 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Got the battery fitted under the seat, tractor now starts from key! Reaching under the hood to hit the compression release was getting old, really fast. Also put a seat on it today, nothing fancy, just a cheap from tractor supply. It is comfortable on the tractor though! I may look for a steel pan from an older wheel horse and mount it with springs.

Just an idea...

I know I'm committing a crime by cutting up a 500 special, but man is this tractor cool!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0399.jpg

#15 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted June 16, 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hey, it's your tractor! To heck with the Wheel Horse police! Function over form every day of the week! I'm really liking it! I am curious if you added a brace to your stack to prevent damaging the block!