22 replies to this topic

#1 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have an unknown Huskee Premium Series mower that I recently aquired for $100. I posted this in the MTD section since they made them for Tractor Supply for at least a little while. Not sure if they still do or not though. It has been sitting since last summer but ran when parked. I have looked all over the thing and cannot find anything that identifies this as any particular model or even serial number. Can anyone help me out on identifying what this is so I can get replacement parts. From what I read there should be a tag under the seat but I cannot find it anywhere. I have posted pics to help identify it.

From what I can tell from previous owner who received this mower as payment for money owed to him. The original owner bypassed some sort of electric blade engagement pully or something like that. He could not exactly remember. So blade runs at all times and cannot shut it off. It's missing the choke cable and probly needs a tune up and oil change. It's also missing the rear roller/wheels from the deck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh. You cannot really see it but behind the deck lift arm there is the pull/push knob for the blade engagement.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1023.JPG
  • DSCF1024.JPG
  • DSCF1025.JPG
  • DSCF1026.JPG
  • DSCF1027.JPG
  • DSCF1028.JPG
  • DSCF1030.JPG
  • DSCF1031.JPG

Edited by KenM, February 28, 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:36 PM

That thing has a lot of similarities as the Huskee that we have which the previous owner left here when we moved in. Looks as though yours might be a couple of years older or at least one body style older.

I am pretty sure they are made by MTD. I will have to go out tomorrow in the light and see if I can find a tag or where it would be located. I am sure some of these other guys will have the answers you are looking for as well.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:45 PM

That little Huskee I flipped a year ago, it had the sticker under the seat. It wasn't readable any longer and was peeling off tho.

#4 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Well after a lot of searching through Google Pics I found a couple that were exactly like mine. But they didn't list any info other than the obvious. So after even more searching I think I have narrowed it down to one of 3 different ones....

MTD 14AP849P131 (1997)
MTD 14AJ849P131 (1998)

But could also be...
MTD 14AI849H131 (1999)

except deck looks different according to parts diagrams.

Parts Tree dot com is where I found a very good parts listing with pics.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Whatever it is, it's not a bad looking tractor. I was trying to figure out all the holes in the deck. Also, what brand is the loader/tractor just to the right of the deck? :bigrofl:

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Well after a lot of searching through Google Pics I found a couple that were exactly like mine. But they didn't list any info other than the obvious. So after even more searching I think I have narrowed it down to one of 3 different ones....

MTD 14AP849P131 (1997)
MTD 14AJ849P131 (1998)

But could also be...
MTD 14AI849H131 (1999)

except deck looks different according to parts diagrams.

Parts Tree dot com is where I found a very good parts listing with pics.

Were you able to get the correct parts listing? Parts tree is a good resource for the parts listings.

If I am not mistaken the pto for the mower deck is manual engagement on ours so it may be possible that whoever rigged yours up to run all the time they just used a spring or somehow set it to be engaged all the time. I don't know off the top of my head how the engagement works other then being pretty sure that it is manual and not electric pto.

#7 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if it isn't a little older than what you think. I have a Yard Machine with an 18.5hp Twin 2 in it. I bought it from Tractor Supply in '98 but it was a left over. Mine's either a '97 or maybe as old as '96. My tag was on the rear plate just below the gas filler. I could never get the exact model to come up on Parts Tree or the MTD site so I'm not sure.You can find the age of the motor by the information on it. Look at the code number, the first two digits are the year, the second two digiits are the month, and third two digits are the day. The last two digits are the assembly line or plant the engine was built in. Maybe that will give you a closer idea on the age of the tractor, unless the engine has been changed out, but it doesn't appear to have been. You'll have a nice GT when you get it up and running. I use mine probably harder than it was meant to be used and it does very well for me. Gary

Edited by twostacks, March 02, 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#8 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Were you able to get the correct parts listing? Parts tree is a good resource for the parts listings.

If I am not mistaken the pto for the mower deck is manual engagement on ours so it may be possible that whoever rigged yours up to run all the time they just used a spring or somehow set it to be engaged all the time. I don't know off the top of my head how the engagement works other then being pretty sure that it is manual and not electric pto.

No it's an electric PTO. The pull knob is just behind the deck lift arm in pic. Can't really see it from the angle. I pulled the lower pulley off last night to take a look at it The previous owner at one time had taken the engagement clutch apart and welded it solid so bearing in the pulley would not spin on the shaft.

DSCF1033.JPG DSCF1034.JPG

Whatever it is, it's not a bad looking tractor. I was trying to figure out all the holes in the deck. Also, what brand is the loader/tractor just to the right of the deck? :bigrofl:

Ya I don't know what all those holes are for. They are programmed bolt holes for something. It's missing a couple of belt shields and grass shute on the side. And also that's my sons John Deere front loader pedal tractor

I wonder if it isn't a little older than what you think. I have a Yard Machine with an 18.5hp Twin 2 in it. I bought it from Tractor Supply in '98 but it was a left over. Mine's either a '97 or maybe as old as '96. My tag was on the rear plate just below the gas filler. I could never get the exact model to come up on Parts Tree or the MTD site so I'm not sure.You can find the age of the motor by the information on it. Look at the code number, the first two digits are the year, the second two digiits are the month, and third two digits are the day. The last two digits are the assembly line or plant the engine was built in. Maybe that will give you a closer idea on the age of the tractor, unless the engine has been changed out, but it doesn't appear to have been. You'll have a nice GT when you get it up and running. I use mine probably harder than it was meant to be used and it does very well for me. Gary

I have not crossed the engine serial number yet. That is on my to do list.

Edited by KenM, March 02, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#9 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Just did a code check on the Briggs engine.

Model: 460777
Type: 1289 01
Code: 9702105A

Which makes it February 10, 1997 build date on engine. So theoretically the Huskee was built in 97 as well.

#10 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Which brings me to my next question. What in the world is this little bugger... the wiring diagrams I have seen which are on parts tree have nothing like this shown with a green wire. It's just dangling there like in 2nd pic. It has power going through it so i'm kinda worried that it will short out with key on and cause problems.

DSCF1037.JPG DSCF1035.JPG

Anyone have a clue what it is?

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Looks like what's left of a relay or an interconnect switch. Can you tell if it was mounted anywhere?

#12 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Looks like what's left of a relay or an interconnect switch. Can you tell if it was mounted anywhere?

From what I could tell there is no place for it to be mounted. The PTO switch has it's connector still attached so it is not from it and that is the only thing on the dash panel that would have a connector on that side of steering wheel. Above the steering wheel is the ammeter but it is a conductive type ammeter so there is no connector. Just a wire looped around a piece of metal. And to the left of steering wheel is the choke and throttle cables. Well just throttle cable for now as the choke cable is missing. But I have one of those on the way. Unless it mounts somewhere inside the console I would have to say it just dangles there. I will look more into it tomorrow when it's daylight and get back with ya unless someone else has an idea of what it is.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:11 AM

Is it possible that there's some safety switch that it might be from? PTO safety switch, Neutral safety switch, Oil level sensor, Etc...

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 05:33 AM

Glad you figured out what you had.It's not a bad looking tractor.
  • KenM said thank you

#15 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 01:30 AM

I looked today and it seems to be just hanging there and not mounted anywhere. At least not anymore if it was before.

Is it possible that there's some safety switch that it might be from? PTO safety switch, Neutral safety switch, Oil level sensor, Etc...

I believe it is a safety switch of some sort. But no clue which one. I doubt it is an oil level sensor since it has a oil pressure sensor that isn't hooked up and has no sort of indicator to even be hooked to. Not even a loose wire that will even come close to hooking up to it. From what I can tell the oil pressure sensor was never hooked up on these models.

Glad you figured out what you had.It's not a bad looking tractor.

Thanks. Just hope it don't nickle and dime me to death trying to get it going as I look further into it.

Just purchased new oil, oil filter, spark plugs today. Still need to get Air filter and fuel filter though.

gonna drain old gas and put what I have into it hopefully tomorrow night and see if I can at least get it running before I decide on whether further repairs/purchases are worth my time and money. In other words the electric PTO. Dang that thing is pricey. $170 from ebay for a Stens. And like $300+ for OEM part.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: huskee, mtd