32 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Skyrydr2 - when you say manual decklift quadrant - is that the manual deck lift lever mounted on the right side of the deck? What I am talking about is visible in picture #2. It does have one of those!

As for the seat, it does have a lever type adjuster on the right front underside of the seat. Here is another picture that shows the lever and the manual decklift.

IMG00271-20120228-1651.jpg

Here is a picture of the engine pan welded in.

IMG00274-20120228-1652.jpg

And if it helps, here is another view of the hood and gas tank..

IMG00276-20120228-1653.jpg

Sure appreciate all the help guys! Should there be a model number or other numbers on the frame or metalwork somewhere that I am not seeing?

#17 lgtnorm OFFLINE  

lgtnorm
  • Member No: 8842
  • 2 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:42 PM

That looks just like my 74 165. That tractor has hydraulic lift on the deck, the handle on the deck is for the dept of cut.

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:48 PM

That is in fact with out a dought a 165 LGT . Nice unit.
As for deck lift, look at the right side by the pedals, you will see a curved dent it the seat pan, this knocks out on a manual lift and that is where the lift lever bolts on, under the tin. The gauge lever on the deck doesnt count, that's for cut hieght only.
Very nice unit.

#19 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:49 PM

The hydraulic cylinder is on the right insideof the fame tube (seated in the seat for a reference point) It connects to the deck lift and back to the hitch as well. The control is in front of the seat - see first picture in my last post.

Here is another picture of the body, where the hydraulic cylinder is visible just inside the frame tube...

IMG00273-20120228-1652.jpg

I didn't see a choke lever/pull button anywhere. Also, don't see a cable leading down to where the engine should be. I DO see the cable for the throttle.

#20 lgtnorm OFFLINE  

lgtnorm
  • Member No: 8842
  • 2 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Choke cable is gone from mine too. That deck looks to be in really good condition, I have a few patches on mine.

#21 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Skyryder! I saw the cutout by the pedal - cover is not there, but I saw the paddle with the bolt holes - wondered what that was for! By the time I was getting home and unloaded, it was starting to get dark, so just snapped a bunch of pictures to bring to you guys!!!! So I didn't get a chance to investigate further.

So - make sure I understand this correctly. The deck lift (either hydraulic or manual) is a gross adjustment, then the deck height lever fine tunes the cut height? I'm used to Deere stuff where there is only one lever with a knob to adjust cut level....

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:02 PM

It's under the throttle lever, it should have a solid rod for the throttle.
Correct on the deck lift.

Edited by skyrydr2, February 28, 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 05:14 AM

I just wanted to say ,congratulations on getting your Ford.

#24 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the help in identifying this! There are a few other projects waiting in line before I can get to this, but will post pictures when I clean her up and get it back together.

One of the engines I got is a 16hp kohler that is SUPPOSED to run (everybody knows how that works, right?!?!?!?). Same engine as belongs in it, but it has the old style exterior generator/starter, so not sure how that would fit in the engine bay....

I have the original block from this though - had got it from him for parts when I rebuilt my Deere 316K a while back. Would need a rebore and polish on the crank, and a parts kit. Will probobly eventually rebuild the original engine and put it back in there...

Did the Ford Kohlers of this era come with balance gears? My Deere didn't have them, and it is somewhat of a shaker at lower rpms - but it is rubber mounted... With the engine welded into the frame on the Ford, does it vibrate much?

#25 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yes They had blancer gears.I dont think you will have the room for a starter generator if you do it will be tight fit.Plus you will have to watch out for the correct police.Haha Later Josh

#26 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 04:13 PM

IF the "running" engine is in good shape, I might be able to pull the flywheel and stator off the original block and mount it up? Not sure if the bosses for the stator mount would be on the old style block....

It's killing me to not dig in and get started, but I have to take some items off the "honey do" list before I can make any visible progress on this one anyway..... Notice I said VISIBLE :laughingteeth: ..... Plenty of time to ship the original block off to my machinist and have the work done. Kinda want to have the "original" engine in there if possible. And there is body work and rust repair/paint touchup before I would need the engine anyway. Plenty of time.

Whats the concensus "over here" in the Ford group about the balancers? Quite a few guys recomend removing the balancers - just a potential hand grenade if they fail, and mixed results as to their effectiveness.

#27 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 04:35 PM

I have a 12 hp with out the gears put back in and it is a wicked shakers at idle and up to 1/4 throttle, but it too is rubber mounted, the 12 HP in my 72 LGT is smooth as can be through all rpm ranges. Not sure if this engine has them or not? , I'll find out soon when i pull the block for re finishing.

#28 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 04:50 PM

I have a 14 out of 145lgt and I'm not going to put the blancer gears back in it.That is personal prefernce.

#29 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have a 14 out of 145lgt and I'm not going to put the blancer gears back in it.That is personal prefernce.

I think it is also Brian Millers preference to 'delete' the Balance gears...and he def knows the Kohler!
http://gardentractor...s.com/index.htm

#30 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:55 AM

My dad was kohler mechanic for 30yrs and we have decide not to put them in.I hope this helps you out, But it is still your choice.If you put them back in make sure you check the stub shafts for wear,and also replace every thing the gears stub shafts etc..Later Josh