• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• Member No: 7649
  • 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 03:24 AM

We had beautiful weather today and even though the ground is a little wet I decided to plow my garden. I invited my Dad to bring his diesel and throw some dirt. We are just learning to set up the plow so we spent as much time playing as plowing. We never could get the right set up on the diesel and the turf tires wanted to spin a lot. My 2284 did really well and I was pleasantly surprised. Cant get much better than two supers plowing with your family.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • NUTNDUN, daytime dave and KennyP have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:20 AM

Wow,looks like you did a good job,and most likely had fun doing it too.Nice looking pair of Cub Cadets.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:21 AM

I'm glad you and your Dad got to spend some quality time together. Thanks for the pics, nice tractors.

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yes that is a nice pair of cubs. It looks like you got the plows set up pretty good to plow that nice ground. Thanks for those great pictures, they make me think of Spring.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for sharing your day with us, looks like you both had fun.
Good to hear you got you plow tuned properly, tell Dad he will get it eventually.
Nice looking soil by the way.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Great way to spend the day with your Dad. If you don't want to change the rear tires on Dad's Cub, Try using some snow chains and add wheel weights. You can leave the weights on all year, and just remove the chains. Thanks for the pictures!!

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Nice cubs, great job and good looking dirt you got there, plowing with faimily and friends is a blast, im looking forwards to that this spring, thanks a bunch for the pic's.

#8 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:50 AM

Dad already has a new set of ag tires we just havent got them mounted. We are looking for another set of rims so he can have both sets mounted and switch out if he wants. Spinning was his biggest problem. Both of us are going to add fluid to our tires and I have a set of 55lb wheel weights. Thanks for the compliments!

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Those are some good looking cubs! You and your dad will get the plow eventuly!

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Good looking Cub Cadets and you guys did a great job. Practice makes perfect and besides you can't beat the seat time especially when you get to spend it with family :thumbs:

#11 4SPEED OFFLINE  

4SPEED
  • Member No: 8733
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:35 PM

I was going to say , if your pop had weights and chains , he'd been fine. turf tires by them self wont pull a plow very well.
I have 95lbs in each wheel and 50 on the front. my 582 will climb a wall lol so to speak.

it looks like you guys had a good time that day... nice job..

Edited by 4SPEED, February 29, 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#12 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:11 PM

I highly recommend Olcowhand's post on how to set up a plow. Here:
http://gardentractor...up-garden-plow/
It really does work LOL. It also looks to my (uneducated) eye as if the plow shown in the furrow is sitting too far away from the previous furrow and is taking too big a bite. Again, thanks to someone on this site, there is a brinly plow manual here:
http://gardentractor...e-hitch-attach/

Of course that only helps if the plow you are using was the 10 inch, but there are several Brinly plow manuals listed. Have fun!

#13 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the post and your great pics. It is just really neat to see some pics of our older tractorcs being used for what they were actually designed for. And the great thing is, they are still doing do the job.

#14 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 07:32 AM

The plow sets about 4 inches to far to the left if your facing the back of the tractor. I have the brinly manual and several set up guides.My plow has tilt built in to the hitch part but I dont think its near 5". I think that plow is a 12 if I measured right based on other plow set up posts.My sleeve hitch adapter really needs another notch to the right to get the furrows exact right. I am sure I was plowing to deep and taking to much bite as we were trying to turn under the mulch I had layered on the top and trying to see how much the tractors could pull. Keep the advice coming because I keep notes this good info often gets scrapped along with these old tractors.

#15 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:06 AM

If you want to turn the mulch over, it is better to go ahead and set the plow up so it is taking the proper size bite. If you go too wide, the undisturbed soil next to the last furrow acts as a barrier to "flipping" the soil in the row you are currently working. As for your plow hitch, look at it carefully and see if it can be flipped. The plow I just aquired had the hitch flipped to the wrong side, and I thought I was going to have to do some fabrication to get things right. I also remember looking at the set up instructions on the plowing guide and misunderstanding the wheel width guide. I was thinking the measurements applied to the OUTSIDE of the wheels, when in fact it refers to the distance INSIDE the wheels. But any way you slice it, its still a blast to be plowing, especially with a family member.