• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Its good you were able to save that! Looks like a good solid tractor! The guy obviously didn't care about the stuff if he didn't want to unload a few things to sell to somebody who could appreciate them instead of scraping it.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Not a bad haul, great save. It annoys me that there are people out there that see scrapping as the only way to get money out of old iron. It is nice though to see their minds change at the sight of a wad of cash lol.

#18 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Nice save.Looks like a good restorable tractor.I've seen just a cub Cadet mower decks go for $150 plus.

#19 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Great save! Something I can't figure out though. He had stuff already loaded on trailer so wouldn't sell it to you. He still had to unload them off trailer at scrapyard and made less money! What was he thinking?

#20 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Congrats on a Great save. Just seems like the most money someone will pay is Money in the pocket.

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:19 PM

It shows that it was built in late Dec. 1973.

If it is it should have the PTO with the brake on it. That was started about Sep 73.

#22 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:59 PM

There should be a law about scraping things that look that good. Nice save. Good on you as well.

#23 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• Member No: 7649
  • 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:43 AM

He had several other mower brands and 2 late model style cubs on the trailer. He had an older roller of some sort really heavy built with 3 speed rear and rims like the cubs use. I tried to buy 2 cub decks and a Wisconsin engine offered to unload and restrap for him all he had to do was accept cash and watch but refused my offer because it was already loaded. I didn't push him to much because we hadn't loaded the 149 yet and I didn't want to lose that deal. I followed up at the scrap yard and they said they no longer sell items turned in for scrap so it all got squashed and shredded. As of right now I do not plan to part the 149 out and I am very much considering a full restore and adding a 3pt hitch from xtreme. Ill know more once I get a chance to check it out some more.

#24 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:45 AM

It does have the PTO with the brake but I think it is either out of adjustment or needs rebuilt. The deck is off and it needs some tlc. The tractor appears to be unmolested and original other than a new coil.

#25 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:02 AM

That's just all wrong, that the guy would rather scrap the stuff than let you buy it.
Good to see you saved one anyways.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for saving her, looks like a great 149 just waiting for some TLC.

Maybe he'll do a little math and see that the one he saved was more of a money maker than the ones he hauled.

#27 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Nice save on that 149. No doubt that it was worth the 200 bucks. As for not wanting to sell other stuff, it's amazing what some people do. I know a fella that was at a scrap yard one time and someone pulled in with a REALLY nice Farmall Cub on the trailer. He unstrapped the tractor, climbed aboard, started it and backed it off the trailer and sold it for scrap. He offereed to buy it from the scrap yard but they wouldn't sell it and it got destroyed. Again good save.

#28 dsmithjr OFFLINE  

dsmithjr

• 49 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 04:24 AM

A little update. Gave the ol girl a well needed bath and over all its in very good condition. Its a little rustier in spots than I had hoped but nothing mechanically bad enough to not rebuild it. The charging system does not work so I have to test and try to figure out whats not working. Right now Im debating whether to go ahead and tear it down and start a rebuild or get it running enough to play with a little this summer and plan a winter rebuild. Im thinking Ill do a resto mod type rebuild instead of a by the book oem restore.

#29 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 04:34 AM

I was out driving the other day and noticed I big roll off container headed to the scrap yard. Sticking out of the top was a small tractor tire and a metal seat, I didn't see the rest, but I thought I saw a sickle bar mower sticking up as well.

#30 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:04 AM

I was out driving the other day and noticed I big roll off container headed to the scrap yard. Sticking out of the top was a small tractor tire and a metal seat, I didn't see the rest, but I thought I saw a sickle bar mower sticking up as well.

shocked smiley.jpg That's just not right! I know we can't save them all, but it doesn't stop me from being nauseated by the ones that get away!