FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:38 PM

Wel guys.... I think I may have enough tomatos for this year! The hard part will be trying to even find a place to stick enough! Many of these I will just have one or maybe two planted, I just don't have the room here at the new place. However, I want to try a lot more with containers, the greenhouse and stuff like that. This method will be new to me, so any advice is helpful! I will have plenty in my raised bed gardens, but I need the paste for sauce. I want to play with some of the other ones in containers and maybe more raised beds if I can get them done in time. I want to lay out my new garden in smaller beds then the one large raised bed that I have now.

But onto my seeds! This year will be my first year to try to grow out plants from my own saved seeds. I kept the very best tomato from my Opalka's and was given a few tomato's from an Italian gardener friend of mine.

Those seeds will give me these:
  • Opalka
  • Black Russian
  • Brandywine
  • Juilet
  • Green Zebra
But I wanted to add some more to my garden and had ordered these from the Tomato Growers Co.
  • San Marzano
  • German Giant
  • Sweet Pea cirrant
  • Yellow Pear
  • Costoluto Genovese
Oh... but we know this is a sickness, right? So I found this seed trading group and kinda picked out maybe, well... nine more!
  • Rio Grande
  • Costoluto Fiorentino
  • Thessaloniki
  • Rio Fuego
  • Mortgage Lifter
  • Donskoi
  • Believe it or not
  • Ashleigh
  • Louisiana Pink
so I mean, seriously... that's almost 20 tomato TYPE'S! I have to see how my garden layout will be once it's a bit warmer. I have an odd shaped raised bed garden that is maybe 15' suqare. (I will really miss my big old 25'x50) But the greenhouse kind of makes up for it. I know there are some that I will not even grow out for myself, like the Juilet, Green Zebra, and Brandywine... I have others that are cooler to grow! I want to spend some time and maybe try some in the greenhouse for some of the longer growing ones. I will have some in larger pots that were left here, and some other containers, like 5 gallon buckets. I just need to sort out how many I can find places to them!

Some of these will just be the one lone plant, but I will grow out plenty of extra to share with friends. I am not sure if this will be done by spring, but out town has started work on a community garden. If there is extra space, I might place some stuff out there, and even offer orphan plants for adoption! I need so save some space here for things other than just tomatos too! It will be fun seeing how well stuff does in the greenhouse. I am thinking I may try some bush beans under the benches in the raised beds. It's like starting all over, and with all new methods! I also have a surplus of sauce this year so far, my last count still had me at 18 quarts & 5 pints in the pantry!
  • daytime dave said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Having the green house this year maybe you'll be able to move some of the tomatoes that your going to grow in containers in it when the weather gets colder in fall , long time away but will give you something to think about , Al

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I could see myself gardening in the future... When the kids are all in college. For now, I'll just lurk and read. Good stuff.

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yes indeed! That is exactly what I want to play with... My paste will grow in raised beds, but I want to try to force some beefsteaks and cherries to a longer season just like that. I need to still move stuff from the old house like my garlic ppot & rhubarb patch. My wife has a lot of high end day-lillys to move as well.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:32 AM

Cool ! A green house is high on my list. The problem with tomatoes in Iowa is they start putting n really good about time for frost to take them out. A greenhouse could easily stretch the season by a month or so. Jo say's we are planting a lot more Romas this year.
She did not get as many canned as she wanted last year.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Wow,are those all names of tomatoes? I didn't know there was that many different varieties.

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Wow ! that is a lot of Tamatos, plenty to go around, Brandywine and Juilet are my favorets to grow, i missed canning 2 falls in a row due to crazy weather and the tomato blight, glad to hear it was good for you.

Edited by trowel, February 28, 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 11:29 AM

I would really like to know how your seed saving works out. I want to try that but have yet to. I hope your greenhouse works out well.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yes, those are all the tomato's that I have to grow, there may be hundred's more! It just makes the standard "Early Girl" "Big Boy" selections seem just so dang bland! There are many ways to save seed if you search the net. One thing I did that worked out awesome was for drying them. I placed a coffee filter on top of a wide mouth canning jar and spread the seeds out on that. Then I placed another one over the seeds and held them down with a bare ring. This made for airflow on both sides of the seeds and kept them safe.

Here is the place I recieved the seed trading seeds from. => http://www.wintersown.org/
I have not tried to winter sow yet, but the seed trade is nice and they have great info on seed saving.

I did the fermentation and rinse method last year, very simple and it seems to of worked. I just packaged my seeds using the free seed envelope printout's found on the above site. (VERY cool!) My seeds do look perfect and ready to go.

I HIGHLY suggest you try saving them, Doing so, allows you to keep the biggest & best tomato of the year for seeds. This will allow you to have better and better plants as the years go. I saved 400+ seeds from one Brandywine tomato! Anyone want some of those? I have a few packets of 50 seeds I can share. Just post here and let me know. I may be willing to share some of the other's that I have, just ask... some I have plennty of, some I have only a few seeds.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 04:20 PM

I would really like to know how your seed saving works out. I want to try that but have yet to. I hope your greenhouse works out well.

Well we are trying it for the first time this year. :confuse: One quick tip, it will work much better if you label them when you save them!! Last weekend the wife was in the fridge and asked me what the seeds in the ziplock bag were from? I remember her telling me she was saving them but what are they? My memory is not what it once was, but I think they were burpless cucumber? Her comment was if I went to that much trouble to save them you would think I would remember?
Guess we will know when they come up?

But I too reccomend trying it, I think it's obscene the price we pay for less than an ounce of seed in those packets and then throw out all the seeds when we prepare our food?

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 28, 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Last year I saved them in plastic bags labled with a sharpie. From now on, I will make the little paper packets from this website. http://www.wintersow...eedPackets.html

I am not connected with them in anyway, but did take advantage of the free seed offer, and I now have a much nicer assortment of tomato's for less than a dollar in postage. You may only get, say 12 seeds, but that is more than enough for a season!

#12 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Got my tomatoes starte down stairs. The list is now where near that. I don't know if there is a support group for people with your obsession or not. That is a neat looking list though. Course now we will need some pictures of each one as they mature. :bounce: