Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Barn Stall Cleaning Using A Gt With Loader ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Does anybody use a GT with loader for cleaning out barn stalls? Can they handle the weight and how about turning radius? The old back just ain't keeping up with the end of winter deep bedding clean out like it used to. Sure a small skid-steer would be ideal, I just priced a used one small enough to fit thru the doors with 450 hrs on it WOW !!
I'll be moving to town before I spend that kinda money on a unit that can only clean out stalls... ( the wife figures the only way I'm going to town is in a box or to be fit for one, but I'm kinda hoping to hold off on that trip for a while).
So, I need some honest opinions on this, cause even a GT with loader is gonna be more than I want to spend.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:19 PM

I do it all the time. I clean our 4x8' individual cal stalls, and large open pens, 12x100'. The stalls are packed straw bedding, but the loader/tractor rips it right up. On the sawdust packs in the large open pens, I do most with the forks, but under the hard packed top layer, I have to switch to my bucket. The pen I was cleaning in the pics was not packed at all, so not a pic showing what it can do. I can easily lift 400lbs of manure pack per bucket.
You MUST have plenty of tractor weight. My back tires are filled, 45lbs of steel plate in each rim, and another 200lb or so on the back. The rear tires have around 100lbs fluid per.

DSC00080.jpg
DSC00082.jpg
DSC00059.jpg
DSC00058.jpg
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#3 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• Member No: 5024
  • 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'd say a FEL for you gt would be the way to go! Sounds like they are nearly unstopable if you use them right. I considered building one for one of our Massey Gts we have out at our farm.

#4 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Daniel, I love your Massey setup. The thing looks mean and ready to work. :firejumper:

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:49 AM

A guy I know uses a 1010 Massey with loader to clean out his stalls.I know that is slightly bigger than GT,but not much different,and it does do a good job.

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Looks like "cats jammies" , especially like that fork. Now when I'm looking for the GT should I look for a Hydro or a gear tractor? If a gear unit, is a low range "creeper" helpful?

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I would think the many changes from forward to reverse in a tight area (like inside a building) would make a gear drive down right annoying in very short order. For a loader machne Hydro would be the only way to go, it would work much faster. I don't see many farmers using a GT around here. Most use a small skid loader and many have taken the ROPS off to clear low doors. A practice I will not Reccomend. I want a small skid loader, because I really enjoy running them. But other than the fact they can turn within their own length, I'm not sure there is any significant benifit to using one in a barn. They can be far more expensive to own and maintain.

Daniel's pictures of his GT cleaning stalls makes a strong arguement for the GT.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yes, hydro GT with foot pedal hydro is the only way you would want to go. Your hands are busy enough with the steering & hydraulic levers. The Massey 1010 is not much different from my Massey 1655 (now an 1855). Massey 1010's do come in hydro versions. Wish my 1010 was hydro!

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00425.jpg
DSC00427.jpg
DSC00422.jpg
DSC00424.jpg

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:06 AM

My Son and I moved 6000 lbs. of horse manure in short order with two large garden tractors.
Posted Image
It's all he uses for cleaning his horse barn. And as Daniel said, the foot controlled hydro is the only way to go. I would also put chains on and leave them on. I have fluid filled tires and weights and my chains (not in this photo yet) never come off my Bolens GT2000. Also a GT will not tear up the ground like a skid steer. On a large garden tractor properly set up you can move 400 lbs pretty easily. So in 5 or 6 trips you have moved a lot of weight.
Posted Image
Another thing that is worth mentioning, power steering with a loader is a big plus. Since putting this Bolens package together with power steering it would be hard to go back to manual steering.
Good luck in your search.
Chris

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 11:00 AM

I have seen Daniel's tractor and it does the job very nicely. He is able to get in places that are tight with no problems. I have had a couple Gt loaders myself and sold them. I am going build or another one and it's not leaving!!

#11 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 03:00 PM

Your loader does look good Daniel. The first couple pics show a single cylinder tilt and then it's twin. Why did you switch it out and which did you like better?
The quick attach is pretty slick. Do you have any more pics of it?

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Your loader does look good Daniel. The first couple pics show a single cylinder tilt and then it's twin. Why did you switch it out and which did you like better?
The quick attach is pretty slick. Do you have any more pics of it?

Been gone to a dairy meeting, so just now getting home. The single cylinder wasn't quite enough when in thick packed bedding for a complete tilt back. The twin tilts work nicely though. Plus, by taking the single off, the cross beam could go, so then that allowed for easily removing the hood for engine access.
I'll see if I have more pics of the quick attach, and if not try to take some.