Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Snapper 1855. General Info Wanted. Have Ser. And Model Numbers.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MNrivergardener OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8631
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the good comments on my last post with the pictures. I removed the mower deck last night and cleaned the tractor up a little bit. I was just woundering if there is a directory someone might have that I can de-code my serial number to see what year my tractor is or if there is a mfg. date stamped somwhere that I didnt see. I hate to bring up my JD 316 again on the snapper fourm but when I had gotten that home I went to the local JD Dealership with my Model and serial numbers and he punched it into the computer and told me the years of both the tractor and tiller, where they were purchased and the name of the orgional owner.

I just got off the phone with Ryan from "River Valley Power Equiptment " here in town and he must of been lookin in a book or on his computer and said he doesnt see a list of serial numbers to de code the year. his info was just showing model numbers.

Below I will list the info from all 3 tags on the equiptment. tractor, tiller, Mower deck.

Tractor :

Built by:
McDonough Power Equiptment
McDonough GA, USA ----Fort Worth Texas, USA
Serial Number: 04151656 Model: 1855A

Built by:
Serial Number: 03261169 Model: 60375

Mowing Deck:

Built by:
Serial Number: 04160700 Model: 80499

Thats what each sticker reads. If there isnt a way to find the years it's not a big deal, as long as it runs and works good thats all that really matters. My dad stopped by this afternoon and I was showing it to him and he had asked what year it was, I just said Probly around the Mid 80's.

Also while on the subject of Model's. Does it seem strange that the model on my tiller is " 60375 " ?
I was under the impression that the 48" inch tiller was called the " model 4850 " Tiller ?

This is a great site!

#2 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have not been able to track the age and ownership of my snapper. The only thing I have been able to tell people is that it was built somewhere between 77 and 81. I have both the Massey 1655 and a snapper 1855 the are virtually identical including some of the decals
The mf 4850 is the massey tiller badge and the 60375 is for the snapper version, looking mine over they are identical I have one of each

Edited by ErnRemy, February 27, 2012 - 10:35 PM.

• MNrivergardener said thank you

#3 MNrivergardener OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8631
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the info. Ive done some google searching on the subject and have seen that question before now. I guess as long as you have your model name so you can get parts thats all that matters. Also on the tiller that makes sense now. Ive commonly seen the 4850 model come up woundering why the heck I have a goofy number on mine.

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Massey's were built between '77 and '84, and Snappers from '84 till '89 or '90. The MF4850 has a brake bent shroud and the Snapper version has a rolled shroud. Massey ID plates have a model number (2378) and a serial number (00XXXX on my 1655s).

I'll take a stab at this. It looks like Snapper has done away with a separate model number and rolled both numbers into one. eg. For your tractor, the breakdown may be model #0415 and serial or build #1656. I'm assuming that the MF model # is in reference to the frame, since the smaller versions (MF1450/1650) had shorter frames and a different model number, and the model #1855A is to differentiate between the 2 tractors with that particular frame (1655/1855). Maybe some of the guys can check this theory against their Snapper tractors. If it's close to true, your tractor was probably built in '85, depending on how many units were built in each year. I wrote to Snapper asking for a breakdown for build dates and this was their reply:

The Snapper Tractor’s model 1650 and the 1855 were manufactured in the early 1990’s in our Texas plant. Since that time the Snapper Brand has been sold several times. As to specific dates of manufacture, we do not have that information. We apologize for the lack of information on your request.

Note when he said they were built. That is incorrect. My dealer and I had a discussion on the downfall of these great MF tractors when MF dropped the build contract with Snapper in the spring of 1984 and Snapper was going to market them under their own brand.

The same serial number breakdown may apply to the implements as well, since MF used separate model and serial numbers there and there was no correlation between model number and the MF designation as far as the numbers themselves were concerned.

Again, this is guesswork.
  • ducky and MNrivergardener have said thanks

#5 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:37 AM

In checking with a Snapper dealer in Mankato he suggested to talk to Paul at Runnings. He may know how to figure it out as he has been in the business a long time. (he owned River Valley Power Equipment) Ryan is a good kid but hasn't been in it that long. The manuals I got with my last new rear engine riders had some info on how to read serial numbers but I no longer have them. Good luck; KURT

#6 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 02:26 PM

Any updates on this?  I just picked up a Snapper 1855.