skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 06:42 AM

CASTROL SUPER CLEAN! The stuff for concrete floor cleaning. Use it full strenght and flush it all out, wash off with screaming hot water and blow dry with compressed air. USE RUBBER GLOVES WITH THIS STUFF AT FULL STRENGTH OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!
This stuff cleans better than stupid green ever thought possible.
You can even use it in the laundry for really oily messes, just use it sparingly , it is powerful stuff.
Oh and a good tip for all, rinse if possible with the hottest water possible, it promotes rapid evaporation ,leaving parts dryer and less likely to develop rust.
  • IamSherwood, KennyP and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#92 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 07:04 AM

I have some Purple Power, I'll give that a try. Just didn't want to eat the plastic. Thought about putting a little gasoline thru it first to flush and thin the residue at the bottom. Not much, just enough to loosen things before the degreaser.
Would it be best to get some regular hydraulic oil to fill this with? Or stay with power steering fluid for the pump? Guess the clear is really hyd. oil.

#93 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Well, all went well today on the pump installation until I stuck it down where it needs to go and found out it needs to go back 1/2" to line up. Whoops! Forgot about the front axle support. Right in the way. After studying things for a bit, I have decided to move the engine forward 3/4" to fix this. That is not a big deal, since it needs to come out anyway.. Just moves this back a bit on the time table. Switched gears and got the 3-point rock shaft ready to install. I will have to cut about 1 1/2" off the length.
Here's a few pics of the goodies I got yesterday from the salvage:
Image001.jpg Image002.jpg
Image004.jpg Image003.jpg
  • pla said thank you

#94 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Looking alright Kenny, hope you can get it fixed up. I am struggling with my Craftsman here tonight. Can't find the right pieces of metal for fender spacers for one thing. And another, I am still fighting one valve stem so... for now I will just add a second set of wheel weights and forget filling them for a while. in the mean time one hose clamp holds that valve stem right where I want it lol.
  • KennyP said thank you

#95 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Keith, I cleaned out the reservoir. Poured a little gas in it and shook the daylights out of it. Dumped that nasty stuff, poured in some Purple Power and shook it some more. Dumped that into a pan and scrubbed the outside. Rinsed with HOT water and let it dry. Looks 100% better. Need to flush the lines for it.
Since I now have the cylinder coming, I think I will go ahead and pull the engine to move it forward. I am debating hooking the cylinder to the Sears rock shaft (1" dia). Then I would have hydraulic lift for under the tractor and for the 3-point. Have to wait until it gets here so I know the dimensions on it and how to hook it up. Or use the cyl. on the 3-point and get another for the rock shaft. I may have to temp some things back on so I can figure where the valves could mount. I was thinking just left of the shifter. The dash is all fiberglass, but I have the option of under the battery tray with the handle out the side of the dash. Under the fender to the right of the seat would be great, but I don't think there is enough room. Got the fuel tank under the middle.
Once I get the wheels widened, I may have more clearance between them and the frame. That may let me mount the valve under the seat pan. Guess I just need to get all this done and figure from there. Hopefully, I don't scratch the paint all up getting things mocked up.

#96 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Sounds like you are making good progress,Kenny.
  • KennyP said thank you

#97 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:14 AM

Kenny, this thing is really coming along. I can't wait to see it done.
  • KennyP said thank you

#98 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Brian, kind of stuck at the moment. Going to have to go ahead and take it down to the frame and finish/fix things as it goes back together. I need the wheels widened so I know what that will give in clearance. Engine needs moved to let me get the pump in. Can't get a feel for the 3-point until those parts arrive. So it's take it apart and get it cleaned up for paint. Just need to remember to stop and take pics of it all.

#99 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Kenny, just use p/s fluid, as it is actually hydraulic fluid.
  • KennyP said thank you

#100 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Haven't been to this thread for a while Kenny. Looks like you're getting all the ducks in a row.
Should go back together fairly quickly from here. Good job you're doing there. Can't wait to
see it all buttoned up.
  • KennyP said thank you

#101 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Will, it's going to get taken apart more before it starts back together. But I have a plan going, just have to get at it!

#102 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:15 AM

If your plan is anything like mine has been it will go together and come apart every year for 6 months for a few years lol. And still never be done lol.

#103 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Well, I got a little accomplished today! The frame is stripped as far as it is going to go! I have to go work at the "HOUSE from Hell" tomorrow, so no more until Sat. Here's the pics:
Image001.jpg Image002.jpg
Image003.jpg Image004.jpg
Image008.jpg Image009.jpg
Now to get it ready for paint. I have lots of rust around where the battery sat on it's shelf, but it will get a good coat of Rust Reformer. Some things won't get much done, this is not a restore. I'll fix a few issues, paint her up and start putting it back together.

#104 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Well, I got more free time this afternoon. Got the frame cleaned off and a coat of Rust Reformer on it. Sunday morning, I can start getting the paint on that. Got lots of small parts to clean and get ready.

#105 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I just reread this whole thread, quite the project here, looks like you getting close to the stage where you can put back together.
I like the grey paint, good choice IMO.
It'll be interesting to see the 3 point all come together.
Good Stuff
  • KennyP said thank you