wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yes... I did forget Ryan, he was an obvious person, and there was a lot going on today. Sorry Ryan lol.

And yes George, Dad and I had an enjoyable time. We just drove nonstop the way home starting around 2:30 and got back around 7. We really just wanted to get home. I know this, used less gas coming back lol.

#47 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 09:00 PM

We're finally all packed up and back home again. I want to thank all of you who traveled a long way to enjoy our cold little plow day! I'm also happy to hear that everyone had a great time!
Despite the cold weather we got a lot of plowing in. It was a brisk 33 degrees when we showed up this morning and it didn't really warm up into the 40's until after lunch. Because of the mild winter, the ground was rather hard and the going was a bit rough, but it was still fun and a great learning experience for those of us who have limited plowing under our belts.
I'd like to thank all of the GTTalk members who showed up.
Grand, I'm glad that you made it back safely and I hope that the long ride home was good. It was a real pleasure to meet your wife and I hope that you both enjoyed the plowing and the hospitality.
Casey it was great to see you and your Father again and I'm glad that the trip home was uneventful.
Fred (Sparky), It was also great to see you again! I hope that you had a good time as well!
I did get to talk to Josh (lawnrangerkid) a bit more this year than last. We're glad that you came and brought your Windolph crawler! That was a real sight to see in person! Keep working on that plow and I'm sure that you'll get it dialed in!
Jeff is not yet a member of the forum (we're trying though LOL) and he brought his Cub Cadet (100 I think) and made many a pass after the rest of us had taken a break.
Another member of our club, Ron (also not a GTTalk member...yet) brought several Cub Cadets. He and his grandson enjoyed making a few rounds with us and shining up their plows.
I'd like to thank the Alsdorf's for hosting the plow day yet again and all the FCVAEC members who worked so hard to organize and get it all put together so that we could enjoy breaking ground!
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#48 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:13 AM

Had a fantastic time yesterday. Unfortunately, my camera seems to have developed a problem. It tells me there aren't any images and the card needs formatted. I've had this problem once before and had to use someone else's card reader to recover the pics. Hopefully, that works again and by the end of the day, I can post some pics.

The day went really well. Up there at 7:30 (delivered and unloaded the night before), there was a slight hint of frost on the grass and on the tractors. About 8:30 they opened up the fields. Our plow day is a little different than the Danville event. It's much smaller and our is open to everything from GT's to Horses to Small Farm Tractors to the occasional bigger one. Its also not an event that keeps track of acers plowed, or how fast it's being done by what. We tend to be more interrested in playing in the dirt and socializing than anything else.
We had two large tractors yesterday. One was a Farmall MTA with a 4 -14 bottom plow and another was an older Allis (I think) with a set of 4 bottom plows and a set of 4 bottom disc plows. We had three teams of horses, 21 GT's, a Windolph Crawler, about 20 farm tractors and a Caterpillar Crawler.

While it was cold, the spirits were high. The ground was a little hard in spite of the recent rains. I think the wind and sun from Friday dried it out a little too much. I heard several comments from spectators about how much they couldn't believe how much the GT's could accomplish. Most of them haven't ever been on anything bigger than a lawn mower and while their box store unit may be rated at 19 Hp, our little 6-8-10-12 Hp units can pull them around the yard backwards.

My kids got cold. They'd plow for a while, then go in and get warmed up, then back out.

By 4, everyone was fed, things were breaking up, people were loading, tents coming down, and most of the BS had been spread.

Done hauling everything and back home about 8:30. The MH81 got a little seat time from a couple of members, all our tractors behaved with the exception of Dad's Custom 6 ( or should I say Custom Sicks). It needs some serious carb/engine help. I was happy that we got it there for Dad. I caught him smiling and riding around on it before it developed a power issue that no amount of adjusting would fix. Oh well, at least the pull start provided some exercise for me.

Thanks to the members who made it there, the event coordinators, the Aldorf's, the participant, and the spectators. They all come together to make it well worth the effort.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#49 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Here are the first ten pics that I took. Will post the others in the next post.
These are names to add to the pics.
First row;
First pic: Member Sparky real name Fred
Pic 2: Member mvbuzzmaster, real name Casey on his Caterpillar being followed by MF10Ryan real name Ryan on his Massey
Pic 3 Member lawnrangerkid, real name Josh on his crawler

Row 2
Pic 1 This fellows name is Jeff and not a member of the site but he was the last one plowing. Real dedication.
Pic 3 Member MH81,real name Alan
Pic 4 Member Caseguy real name Steve. ( Didn't realize he was going to get camera shy at the last moment )

Row 3
Pic 1 This is member MH81 ( Alan ) on his MH81

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1021.JPG
  • 100_1022.JPG
  • 100_1023.JPG
  • 100_1024.JPG
  • 100_1025.JPG
  • 100_1026.JPG
  • 100_1027.JPG
  • 100_1028.JPG
  • 100_1029.JPG
  • 100_1030.JPG

Edited by grand, April 29, 2012 - 08:22 PM.

• broken2, wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#50 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Here are the last photos. I will add the pics to the gallery also.
The first pic is of our member MH81 ( Alan ) on his Massey. The rest of the pics are me on Alan's tractor making my first plowing attempt on a big tractor in more than 30 years. Sure felt good. Thank you Alan for sharing your seat time with me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1033.JPG
  • 100_1034.JPG
  • 100_1035.JPG
  • 100_1036.JPG
  • 100_1037.JPG

Edited by grand, April 29, 2012 - 08:28 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster, MF10Ryan and chris m have said thanks

#51 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Those are great pics George. Glad you actually got some action shots. All my Iphone pics aren't as good as yours lol. By the way, how many times did you pull the rope in half on Alan's plow? LOL

#52 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 12:02 PM

Looked like a fun (albeit cool) day! One of these days I hope to make the trip to a plow day up there in PA!
Casey....I take it the CAT did much better with the weights?

#53 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:11 PM

Nice pictures George. Wish I coud've been there. I've done alot of cold fall plowing, growing up on the farm, and ya don't seem to mind the cold so much when your having fun like that.

#54 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Looked like a fun (albeit cool) day! One of these days I hope to make the trip to a plow day up there in PA!
Casey....I take it the CAT did much better with the weights?

Better yes, but with the hard ground as soon as the plow dug deep enough my tires lost traction in the stalk trash... So I may have to fill them for next time, but the tires did fine in the dirt. Only thing I didn't do was deflate the tires down from 10 psi, but I doubt that would have made enough difference, especially since I was in a 6 inch furrow that was only cut in 2 inches... EVERY time... and I only made three passes before realizing I was the only one out there so I too gave up.

#55 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Those are great pics George. Glad you actually got some action shots. All my Iphone pics aren't as good as yours lol. By the way, how many times did you pull the rope in half on Alan's plow? LOL

When I finally decided to plow with Alan's tractor I just grabbed the trip handle rather than the rope so I didn't break the rope. I just hope that he is able to get the pics from his camera. I have had my fingers crossed all day. I wasn't going to take any pics because I figured there would be better pics taken than what I would do. I'm thankful that I did get some pics. Right now I wish that I had taken more.

#56 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:07 PM

All my pics are stationary, nothing of them driving, basic repeats of your pics. Alan has a pic of me on the MH81 with his phone, shoulda handed him my iphone lol.

#57 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ok this my story of what I did for this plow day . Had choice of going to feed store first and still getting there in time to see horses start to plow . Nixed that idea - went directly to plowday to see horses unloaded just after 8 am . And plowing began . Did not bring any ET's to display this time . Got to see Casey work trip-plow of MH81 at noon and checked out other member's GT's . Ate and then still had to get hog feed by 3 pm . My brother was supposed to come to farm but waited till today for his birthday card and pie. I had my chance to plow but gave Casey another round . Fred
  • MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#58 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:24 AM

Very good to see you there Fred. Maybe next year i'll get you on it.

#59 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:03 AM

That sounds like it was good time, nice to see a bunch of GTT guys showed.
I to have an old Massey Harris, and need to find the rear 7 lug rims, the ones on it are shot.

#60 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 11:43 AM

That sounds like it was good time, nice to see a bunch of GTT guys showed.
I to have an old Massey Harris, and need to find the rear 7 lug rims, the ones on it are shot.

Are the centers bad, or just the rims? the rims are available from several vendors or at least were.

What model is it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pennsylvania, ohio, fcvaec, plow day