• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#76 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • Member No: 41360
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thank you everyone, I have desided that the the differential gear cover will be stripped back down to bare metal and resprayed. This is the same part that I left the under side in the original color, its just my way of keeping something original. Im not happy with the way that it came out and I dont want to half ass this restoration. I am my biggest critic.

Im also looking for a little feedback. I personally need to break up some of the teal color on the tractor but stay true the tractors roots. Im thinking of spraying the engine in silver the flywheel cover and the tins in teal. The carb, piping and this oil bath as well, will be in high gloss black. I really need feedback on this, would love to hear comments.

I have almost all new hardware for the tractor, all zinc plated, almost chrome looking. It will be a nice touch to accent the teal. I will start reassembly this weekend the weather has been amazing in Rhode Island a few days in the 70's has helped my paint dry.

I would also like to thank everyone for your support during this build im a little more then half way through and the out pouring of help advise and kind comments really make me glad that im documenting my build, so thank you all!
  • chris m said thank you

#77 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Not a problem! thanks for the updates and all the pic's! You do know that being our State is so small I can smell the paint on that Panzer from my house right? :laughingteeth:

#78 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thank you everyone, I have desided that the the differential gear cover will be stripped back down to bare metal and resprayed. This is the same part that I left the under side in the original color, its just my way of keeping something original. Im not happy with the way that it came out and I dont want to half ass this restoration. I am my biggest critic.

Im also looking for a little feedback. I personally need to break up some of the teal color on the tractor but stay true the tractors roots. Im thinking of spraying the engine in silver the flywheel cover and the tins in teal. The carb, piping and this oil bath as well, will be in high gloss black. I really need feedback on this, would love to hear comments.

I have almost all new hardware for the tractor, all zinc plated, almost chrome looking. It will be a nice touch to accent the teal. I will start reassembly this weekend the weather has been amazing in Rhode Island a few days in the 70's has helped my paint dry.

I would also like to thank everyone for your support during this build im a little more then half way through and the out pouring of help advise and kind comments really make me glad that im documenting my build, so thank you all!

What color will the seat and rims be? trying to picture what your color scheme will look like.

#79 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:27 PM

For pointers... I got the seat cover off this guy and I like it:
http://panzerbantam....tion-Parts.html

I talked myself out of chroming the engine shield, now wish I'd done it.. what about that. Are you doing the drive shaft, seat, steering, and wheels in white? That seems pretty par for the course.

I did my engine in black along with the foot pedals and all implements. That's working for me so far. I wish I could do it all in white, but actually have to use this stuff which means it will all be green from grass clippings in months...

#80 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hey guys, wheels seat and drive shaft tube will be white, the spokes on the steering wheel will be black instead of white. I'm looking to put 10.50x12 rear wheels. On it but will have the originals on for a bit.

#81 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hey guys, wheels seat and drive shaft tube will be white, the spokes on the steering wheel will be black instead of white. I'm looking to put 10.50x12 rear wheels. On it but will have the originals on for a bit.

Are you going to widen the fenders for wider tires? The ones you listed are over 4 inches wider.

#82 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Are you going to widen the fenders for wider tires? The ones you listed are over 4 inches wider.

I will not be widening the fenders. There is a Panzer on this page that has 10.50's maybe ill go a little smaller like and 8.5 I dont know check this out. http://www.flickrive...ol/interesting/

I spent some time with my beauty, I saw the paint was hardened enough to start reassembly!!! All new hardware, all new paint and a new looking Panzer.

On that parking brake you will notice im not sure if you can see it close enough but there are washers spacing the brake from the fresh paint. The bolt was thread locked into the frame so the brake can spin on the washers and not damage the paint. The dribe shaft tube was cleaned up and polished up on my wire wheel. Im very happy with the way it looks at this point. In the pics the tractor looks light blue but the tractor is actually very teal. On to the pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#83 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Looking Good :thumbs:

#84 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Painting the stock rims tomorrow till I can get new rims and tires. I also painted the PANZER white on the grill it came out incredible. Pics tomorrow night.

#85 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Im so excited to share this with you guys. I got alot of work dont this weekend and a little more today. I even got the electronic ignition installed. PIC!
Here are the stock wheels they will NOT be used at the end of the build this is just to be able to put the tractor on the ground.
Posted Image
This is one of my favorite pics of this build I have been waiting for this pic since the beginning, the zince washer and the zinc bolt I thought were a nice addition to set off the teal paint.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here is a shot of the ignition module that really does work. I wanted to update the ignition on this tractor so that I didnt have to worry about dampness getting into my points. This mod was 25$ and used the original style 3 leg coil 23$ , I replaced the coil and added the module. I have spark but the carb needs a rebuild so I still havent gotten her to fire over.
Posted Image
Another shot of the module its very similar to what the Kawasaki engines used on the John Deere tractors of the early 90's.
Posted Image
Here is a sneak peak at what my oil bath will look like, I have to sand it down and respray im not happy with it but its getting there.
Posted Image

If there are any questions on how to change the ignition over to electronic please ask, its very easy to do and there is a place on the side of the engine to mount the module.
  • KennyP said thank you

#86 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 01:08 AM

Looks like you have yourself a keeper! Oh, and the wife sounds great too! Great job so far. I think it's funny you said you "Took a little break." Your postings are two days apart. When guys in my family, "Take a little break," It's more like a decade or so. I have 5 complete panzers and 2 more that are pretty much just frames and grills. Someday, they will get done. If not, they will make for great conversation at my estate sale. I try not to rush things too much.

#87 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 04:35 AM

Wow,really looking good.

#88 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Looks great! I just looked at the link you posted about the panzer with the wide tires and it doesn't look half bad! I think if you widened the fenders to much it would look to much like a puller.
  • DirtyContacts said thank you

#89 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Looks great! I just looked at the link you posted about the panzer with the wide tires and it doesn't look half bad! I think if you widened the fenders to much it would look to much like a puller.

Thanks Ryan I like that way it looks too, Just waiting for a set of rims to come my way. I took apart the carb tonight everything was clean and dry, needs a new gasket and it will be ready to go. I was going to try to get the tractor on the ground but I put too much of the tractor together I cant move it on my own I have to get a few guys over to help me out. More progress to come.

#90 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks Ryan I like that way it looks too, Just waiting for a set of rims to come my way. I took apart the carb tonight everything was clean and dry, needs a new gasket and it will be ready to go. I was going to try to get the tractor on the ground but I put too much of the tractor together I cant move it on my own I have to get a few guys over to help me out. More progress to come.

LOL! How high is it off the ground? Normally with something that small I just lift it up and kick a jack stand under it or out from under it then set it down.