#31 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 05:24 AM

Looking good,can't wait to see more pics.

#32 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 29,555 Thanks
  • 40,533 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Looking good, Dirty! Hope you get all the grease off, that can reek havoc with the paint.

#33 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Very cool. How are the brakes working for you? Do they move free and return all the way back up to the stops. If they don't then it's more than worth a venture inside those brake drums for a little TLC. It's not too bad a task.

#34 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • Member No: 41360
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Very cool. How are the brakes working for you? Do they move free and return all the way back up to the stops. If they don't then it's more than worth a venture inside those brake drums for a little TLC. It's not too bad a task.

Im going to take a look and clean the shoes and drums out but they do work very well as is. I would like to change the shoes out but havent been able to find a place to buy them.

#35 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for documenting this restoration. Those Panzers are a very nice machine, one of my favorites, but I'll never see one up here. If you go inside the brakes wear a respirator mask as there is probably asbestos in the brake pads and dust. Thanks again!
  • DirtyContacts said thank you

#36 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for documenting this restoration. Those Panzers are a very nice machine, one of my favorites, but I'll never see one up here. If you go inside the brakes wear a respirator mask as there is probably asbestos in the brake pads and dust. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice Brian, I didnt even think about the asbestose lining. From what im understanding there wasn't a very good circulation of these tractors. Most of what I have seen have stayed on the east coast of the states. I am crazy about these tractors im already looing for another. I wanna keep them running, I was reading that there were under 50,000 Panzers built large and small. Only about 25,000 were the small tractors. Im sure over there years many fell victim to mother nature, as well as being used as parts machines.

#37 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 04:38 PM

You bet. I wish I could get another, but not going to happen. Living in suburbia, I'm really not afforded the space for a small collection, so I'm limited to just one... and I figure to make it a nice one.

#38 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Keep up the hunt. Every one you can find and restore is a big plus. I like the way the drivetrain is designed. Chain drive to a narrowed car rearend, simple and very strong. Although I am on the east coast I don't think any of them were ever exported to Canada. There's always the chance that some moved here with their owners but that would be a long shot.

#39 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Not sure if you want to paint the "Panzer" white or not. Or whether you have a good way to do it. I just painted the whole are white, then took one strip of blue painters tape and laid it right down over the whole row of letters. Cut out the letters with a utility blade leaving the blue tape just over the letters. Put on the teal, peel of the remaining tape and, presto, white letters.

You prolly knew that already, though.

#40 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,811 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Those brakes are old Chrysler products out of the late 50's so NAPA might help if you can find somebody old enough to have worked with cross-reference books and not just the computer screen. Also we have some good parts sponsers on this site that might have something for Panzer brakes and if they don't you could check with Jim at Dandy Sales. He specializes in Panzers
I've delt with him and was very happy.
413-267-3697
Email: info@dandysales.com

#41 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:18 AM

Not sure if you want to paint the "Panzer" white or not. Or whether you have a good way to do it. I just painted the whole are white, then took one strip of blue painters tape and laid it right down over the whole row of letters. Cut out the letters with a utility blade leaving the blue tape just over the letters. Put on the teal, peel of the remaining tape and, presto, white letters.

This is in the plans, mostly since most people have never even seen a Panzer. I have a pretty steady hand i was going to do it free hand but I may mask it off like you said just to not damage my fresh paint.

You prolly knew that already, though.

Those brakes are old Chrysler products out of the late 50's so NAPA might help if you can find somebody old enough to have worked with cross-reference books and not just the computer screen. Also we have some good parts sponsers on this site that might have something for Panzer brakes and if they don't you could check with Jim at Dandy Sales. He specializes in Panzers
I've delt with him and was very happy.
413-267-3697
Email: info@dandysales.com

thanks for the information I have talked to jim in the past about Panzers. I had another panzer that was incomplete, when I was looking for parts he was that one I talked too. Jim is very friendly and knowledgable about the tractors. My last Panzer was going to run me about 700$ just for the engine parts. A little pricey but where will you get parts?

#42 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,380 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Sounds like we'll be looking at a totally different machine, come Sunday night. Looking forward to
the pics.
Man I wish I could find one of those up here. Sure would love to own one.

#43 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hey guys another update, I did 4 hours on the tractor today there was alot more grease on it then I thought I was able to scrape
most of it away after it was primed. At first I was using a really cheap primer and it was sticking bunt not to my sattisfation. I ended up using Caterpillar Yellow Primer. This stuff is amazing, it has a self leveling agent in the primer so it doesnt drip it stuck very well Im thinking it maay help me in the long run when I get laying the teal down. It will show me those areas that are hard to reach. The Transmission drive tube also got painted today. The color is Matterhorn white its Agricultural paint sprayed easy and stuck very well. Both bushings are whiped out and will need to be replaced, they a 3/4x3/4x1 inch if anyone is looking for them I do have a part number I will post later when the bushings come in The progress...

IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/mll7qw.jpg[/IMG]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Found out how to clean this off, it was painted the dark blue that the whole tractor was, its still in great condition.
Stripped all the paint around the tag and heres what it looks like. If im correct I think they dated the machine by the color of the ID tag can anyone confirm this, my last Panzer had a red tag, and I have seen light blue and silver.
Posted Image

I just came in from touching up some light spots on the frame its ready for some teal paint. I also went out and bought a new spray gun.

Other parts that go worked on were that dash panel and the seat spring the seat spring bracket. i was going to get more stripped but my wire wheel on my bench grinder lost all its wires. ill get another and continue stripping. Im taking all the paint off down to bare metal to get a nice finish

#44 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,240 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:47 PM

The primer looks good. Make sure you get all the grease and oil off or your paint job wont last once its done. There is a thread that johndeereelfman started in the garden tractor section about the tags and how to get them to look like new. Sorry I can't post a link for them from my phone.

#45 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 10:21 PM

The primer looks good. Make sure you get all the grease and oil off or your paint job wont last once its done. There is a thread that johndeereelfman started in the garden tractor section about the tags and how to get them to look like new. Sorry I can't post a link for them from my phone.

There are a few spots that I have to go back over cause its easy to see where the primer isnt sticking most of which I have done already. But I alwasy feel that there is room to make it better so I will be double looking at the chassis. This is the major part ove ther rebuild, this is my foundation.

I would like to take a look at the thread about the tags. I used brake cleaner because i knew the quality of the pain that the pervious owner used.