• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:51 PM

That looks like a pretty good sample considering the age.

#17 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • Member No: 41360
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Ok guys, made a little more headway tonight. I removed the rest of the transmission and stripped the paint off the front of the tractor as you can see there isnt much left to my beloved Panzer. I had to coat the frame with the primer because we are expecting snow tomorrow and I was afraid that the moisture was going to cause rust. And now pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So thats about it for tonight, im going to start priming the rest of the frame in the next few days. I have to wait to lay the finish coat down till it gets warmer. Ill keep you all posted with my progress im going to have to flip the tractor over so im leaving the rear tires on for a little longer. I may brush paint the bottom of the tractor so I can focus more on the side that will actually be seen. I figure I will assemble it from the frame up with the old tires on it since im going with wide rims and tires in the back I dont want to paint $139 tires.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Nice job so far! Thanks for the pics showing it coming apart. Those help us see how well these are built. Thank you. Color looks good to me, but I'm not a guru on them.

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:02 PM

You got that torn down pretty fast! Good work! I just noticed the peddles on either side of the frame, I assume those a steer brakes? Pretty cool setup!

#20 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:46 PM

You got that torn down pretty fast! Good work! I just noticed the peddles on either side of the frame, I assume those a steer brakes? Pretty cool setup!

She came apart a lot faster then I thought it would. And yes those are the brake pedals that your seeing, this allows for an 8ft turning radius! Very fun tractor to be restoring.

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:54 PM

When you say it has an 8 foot turning radios is that from the outside of the tractor, or the inside? With steer brakes it also depends on the conditions too. With my power kings sometimes I can turn around with the inside tire not moving at all, like a zero turn and sometimes it barely makes a difference! I bet that is a fun tractor to restore! Someday I will have my own project panzer!

#22 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Another update, did a little bit of degreasing tonight. I used carb cleaner cause it breaks down the grease and loosens up the old paint very well. Im also using a wire wheel on a drill, its working very well to remove the old paint. Tomorrow im hoping to get the tractor flipped over to work on the bottom of the machine. Don't be fooled I still have about 5 hours of stripping paint to do before the chassis is ready for its final spray of primer.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:29 PM

When you say it has an 8 foot turning radios is that from the outside of the tractor, or the inside? With steer brakes it also depends on the conditions too. With my power kings sometimes I can turn around with the inside tire not moving at all, like a zero turn and sometimes it barely makes a difference! I bet that is a fun tractor to restore! Someday I will have my own project panzer!

From what I can see the turning radius is the front tires, you can lock the inner rear and sping this tractor very tight. This is actually and advertized turning radius I did not guess this radius. This tractor was built to work, and be versitile in doing so. These tractors are a blast to take apart, and restore. Im already looking for another but they are getting so rear to find out there.

#24 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Looks like it's going great Dirty !!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine, I'll be starting my resto in the spring !!!IMG_0537IMG_0538

#25 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 04:47 AM

Ok,,,, whats the trick to uploading pic's since they updated the site ???

#26 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Lmiller.
To upload pictures, click "More Reply Options" in bottom right.

The browse your computer, and Attach

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 05:39 AM

That is really coming along.Going to look great when your done.

#28 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I made a little headway tonight I pulled the wheels off and flipped the chassis over. I found a ton of original paint that I was able to take a closer look at my paint choice, im feeling confident that my choice was about as close as I am going to get. Im very suprised the way that the paint weathered to more of a blue, when the original color was slightly on the greener side. I started stripping the paint off the bottom. Few pics of tonights work.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are the pics after I stripped some paint I wasn't able to paint tonight because it was so cold and snowy. There is a bit of grease that im looking to get off befor I prime it up anyways.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The whole chassis was sprayed with carb cleaner before I started todays work then it was sprayed again when the stripping was done to get the junk off the chassis. Hoping to finish the priming the chassis this week end.

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Looks completely different flipped over! Your making good progress and you will be splashing paint onto it very soon!

#30 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Looks completely different flipped over! Your making good progress and you will be splashing paint onto it very soon!

I will make a lot of progress this weekend we are going to have nice warm weekend here in Rhode Island. Im really hoping to brush paint the bottom so I can focus at the top and get some parts back on. I am pumped!