• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • Member No: 41360
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Ok, guys here I go im doing a full rebuild on my T70B im so excited to finally have this project started. After 6 years of searching I finally got another Panzer. Here is what I started off with.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So that is what I started with now on to the pics after stripping some paint.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is some of the work I did today the hood came off the grill came off and alot more.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I really didn't have any issues taking this apart it all came apart very easy. The only thing that I saw that I have to replace is that bronze bushing on the reverse drum. Ill be bringing that to work tomorrow to get a new one. Any questions please ask I would be more then willing to help anyone that needs it. Most of these pics were taken so I can remember how the tractor goes together.
  • tractormike said thank you

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Looks like a prime candidate for a do over! Glad that it's going well so far! Keep us posted on your progress!

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Have been anticipating this, very good start, thanks so much for the pic's,

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the pictures , I like seeing how those tractors where made and the pictures you posted really helped , good luck on your project , Al

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:05 PM

You sure got a good start on it.
Looking forward to more updates.

#6 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:05 PM

One thing that I cant get over while im taking this tractor apart is the quality of the metal. Its got some rust but the thickness of the metal is by far fasinating. These tractors were made to last and they did.

I bought some Dupont Spectramaster Green paint. The color is about as close as I could get to the original color. I was going to spray the whole tractor with the paint gun but im thinking that just to get it a little thicker on the chassis I may paint some of it with a brush. Anythoughts?

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Looks like a good start on it! Im glad you into posting pics, everybody loves them! I look forward to more updates! Welcome to the site!

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:55 PM

You got a great start to your restoration, way to go! Most all of the Panzer hardware is standard, easy to find stuff. It looks like you have a nice solid, straight tractor to work with. There is no doubt that they are very heavy built, no thin tin or plastic on these tractors! As to painting I would but a couple of good coats of primer on it and spray the paint on. That way there are no brush stokes in the paint.
Good luck on your project and keep the pictures coming!
  • DirtyContacts said thank you

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Mr Dirty, For some reason can't see your pics but should be able to tonight.
Looking forward to seeing your paint. Some of us have been using a sherwin williams one which is spot on, but who's to say what's right or wrong.

#10 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Mr Dirty, For some reason can't see your pics but should be able to tonight.
Looking forward to seeing your paint. Some of us have been using a sherwin williams one which is spot on, but who's to say what's right or wrong.

My computer at work wont let me look at the pics. im going to get a pic of the paint up too. I have a nice peice of the air filter cover that has a small spot of the paint on it the color is pretty damn close.

#11 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 08:28 PM

I couldn't wait to update this, I figure that I would do it now. Here is a pic of the trans drum bushing.
Posted Image

Here is the pic that I was talking about, keepin mind that the old paint is dirty. The pic really doesnt do any justice to the color. The color is Duponts spectramaster green, but its teal. I cant wait to start painting but it takes time to get all this old paint off.
Posted Image

So thats it for today I didnt get out to the garage today, im hoping maybe tomorrow or later in the week. Let me know what you guys think.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:55 PM

The paint color looks like a pretty good match to me if you take into account the years of fading that have probably occurred. The best way to find the original color is to find and remove a part that wasn't subjected to the sunlight or exposed to abrasion or abuse. The best places are under overlapping sheet metal parts or where a cast piece bolts onto the frame etc.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Nice start and a nice looking tractor. You've been really busy.

The paint looks pretty good, is there a formula or just a name?

#14 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 11:15 PM

The paint color looks like a pretty good match to me if you take into account the years of fading that have probably occurred. The best way to find the original color is to find and remove a part that wasn't subjected to the sunlight or exposed to abrasion or abuse. The best places are under overlapping sheet metal parts or where a cast piece bolts onto the frame etc.

Nice start and a nice looking tractor. You've been really busy.

The paint looks pretty good, is there a formula or just a name?

I did find a few parts that had not seen any sun or weather in 50 years those parts look even better that the picture shown. Its closer then the Torque N Teal paint by Duplicolor. The color code for Dupont is GS618. Ill keep you all updated for sure. im hoping to get out in the garage tomorrow night after work.

Color: Spectramaster green
Maker: DuPont
Code: GS618

Sorry to keep posting it, but I would like to help someone else if there looking for another color option. I know that Sherwin Williams was that paint of choice but there was a 35 mile ride to get it so the Dupont paint was cross referenced from the Sherwin Williams number.

The white paint that im using for the wheels and the transmission drive tube is made by Caterpillar, its called Matterhorn White. This paint was a little pricey but its used on Caterpillar marine engines and hardens to a very hard finish. Its used on industrial machines, I know its overkill but I work for caterpillar so why not use it.
  • caseguy said thank you

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Not a bad looker to start with.Wow,you're getting right into it .You got a good start on it,can't wait to see more.Thanks for the pics.