21 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just brought it home today for 50. a 1986 Ford YT16 Hydro if you want to say that i bought it for 50. because all i really did was knock of 50. from the bolens g14 im selling to a friend of mine, this was well worth the 50. in my opinion because it is a complete and a somewhat scarce model the way it seems. I really know nothing about these tractors so thats hopefully where you guys come in. The tractor did absolutely nothing when you turned the key and the battery only had 1.75 volts which i have never really seen before. After hooking up the jumper pack and still experienceing nothing when turning the key i did some diagnosis but i have a few questions about what i found. First of all though I wanted to say that the key switch didnt appear to work, i was getting power to the switch but when turning it nothing would happen. After spraying some lubricant in the key hole I was now able to get the in the run position voltage down to the carb solenoid thing and get the pto switch to work and engauge the pto and also turn on the pto light. I now can turn it to start and get voltage from the one wire down by the solenoid but i am not seeing voltage from the other( when i say i get voltage from one wore there is usually a single wire(whiched im used too) that would connect the battery + cable to the + cable other on the starter solenoid that would then transfer the current to the starter, but this one seems to have 2 small wires and the one only has voltage but the other doesnt and this is my question...should this have batt voltage as well to engauge the solenoid?? Looks like the one side that has voltage is a blue wire that appears to come from the pto switch and the one that isnt getting voltage looks like it travels down under the frame to a brake saftey switch and then disappears to possibly the seat switch or pto switch im not sure. Now I tried connecting a jumper wire to the other small wire just to see if it would engauge the starter solenoid and nothing happened and nothing fried so im assuming the solenoid is bad but im not sure and thats where i need some imput. I am including a pic of the solenoid so everyone can see what im talking about here as well as some other pics i took. Numbers on the Frame are yt16h 09gn2199 and the deck which is a 42" is 09gn3682. Heres some pics any help is appreciated Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-02-26_14-04-04_770.jpg
  • 2012-02-26_14-04-19_279.jpg
  • 2012-02-26_14-04-48_677.jpg
  • 2012-02-26_14-05-02_718.jpg
  • 2012-02-26_14-05-54_83.jpg

#2 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Congrats on the new find!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Congratulations on your new tractor,it's a good looking machine.

#4 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:57 PM

That style of ford gts were made by gilson for ford.It would seem your key switch is bad but I am not there so it is hard for me to diagnose.Sorry I cannot be more help.Josh

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 05:05 PM

One of the two small wires going to the solenoid is for the safety switches. No sure if your solenoid requires normally open or normally closed safety switches. You could always take a screwdriver and jump the two big wire terminals to see if the starter works and engine turns over.

#6 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:06 PM

One of the two small wires going to the solenoid is for the safety switches. No sure if your solenoid requires normally open or normally closed safety switches. You could always take a screwdriver and jump the two big wire terminals to see if the starter works and engine turns over.

It does engauge the starter some if you do this, i do have a couple spare solenoids so if anyone thinks its a solenoid i can replace it, wont be the correct one but if it works than atleast i know that was the issue

#7 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:11 PM

That style of ford gts were made by gilson for ford.It would seem your key switch is bad but I am not there so it is hard for me to diagnose.Sorry I cannot be more help.Josh

I have to do some more checking on this and get back to you guys, usually i can check at the key switch and see which wires get power in the start position run position and so on, unfortunitly my wiring diagram doesnt show which wires get power and when plus combine that with my not so great electrical skills and....well.....you get the point lol

#8 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I hear yu!I that is my week spot is wiring!

#9 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:29 PM

I hear yu!I that is my week spot is wiring!

Just looked at the wiring diagram again and realized its not the correct one and new hollands website doesnt have it either, dont suppose anyone has one??? Im planning on stopping at the local new holland dealer on the way home from work tomorrow and if i can talk to them about this as well

#10 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:07 PM

Looking at the picture of the solenoid it has 2 small wires. The solenoids that have only 1 wire the frame is ground or negative and the other wire is positive battery voltage. Looks like your starter solenoid has 2 wires one for negative battery voltage and one for positive battery voltage. If you can figure out which is negative and positive you can use jumper wires to check solenoid operation. For safety purposes I would put a fuse in positive jumper wire.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 07:51 AM

I have a yt18h which is similar to yours I think. When I bought it, the previous owner advised me the parking brake ALWAYS had to be on to start the tractor. I have found that to be true. Maybe that's what you are experiancing.

#12 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 04:36 AM

I have a yt18h which is similar to yours I think. When I bought it, the previous owner advised me the parking brake ALWAYS had to be on to start the tractor. I have found that to be true. Maybe that's what you are experiancing.

Brake is on

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Very nice tractor. I really like the looks of the Ford garden tractors. Good luck with your trouble shooting.

#14 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:11 PM

im really starting to hate this tractor, i got the wiring going with a new key switch and solenoid and it gets down to the starter, but now im having trouble to get the engine to turn over. Its almost like it doesnt have enough juice to start it( turn it over ). Even with a brand new battery and a jumper pack on that it barely turns it over. I cleaned all the positive and negative cables including the ground cable, I even put another starter on it that was good and the same thing happens everytime, PLEASE HELP!!! If I cant get it going I hate to say it but this one might be going to the scrap......

P.S. Turns over really good without the spark plugs in

Edited by Nascar3244888, February 28, 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#15 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:37 PM

Howdy. I hope you can figure it out. Are the valves stuck? That is one of the better Briggs motors they made. 16hp opposed twin. I have the same motor in my '86 Ford YT16. When I found my tractor it had a bad starter motor. I replaced the starter, then discovered by accident why the first one burnt up....once when I turned the key switch to start the engine the solenoid hung up- it would not let go.....you are only supposed to keep a starter going for 5-6 seconds at a time....any more can sometimes overheat the coils in the starter and short them out. I replaced the solenoid and have not had that problem since.