• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:02 PM

It seems like I am forever breaking wooden handles, this little axe was no exception. I only use it to split little kindling wood for getting the wood stove going. Right under the head it got all messed up so I put "the mechanic's band-aid" on it, electrical tape.
Posted Image

I knew the tape wouldn't last long, and it didn't. Yesterday i finished off the handle by cracking it all the way down the middle. I figured that a steel handle wouldn't have this problem. I cut a piece of a weight bar to be used as the handle. The hatches make a good handle grip and it has that little nub on the end which I like.
Posted Image

I had to notch out the corners on one end so it would fit into the handle hole. Then I welded it on and gridded my welds flat on the sides.
Posted Image

The wooden handle was 181/2 inches, this one is 20 inches.
Posted Image

The steel handle puts it off balance when you hold it close to the head. I usually split pieces that are already split by the wood splitter over head until they are about 3x3 inches, then hold it close to the head with one hand to split the little pieces. Since its off balance I was going to make a small hatchet like this. I have a hatchet head and 2 tomahawk heads but I cant find any of them. Hopefully I can find them so I can make a better balanced hatchet. And just for the record, I only broke the hatchet handle, other people broke the tomahawks.
  • BosaldZego said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Nice handle Ryan.

I replaced a Hammer handle last month on a hammer someone else broke. It is a great feeling to have a what feels like new tool LOL.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:24 PM

Nice handle Ryan.

I replaced a Hammer handle last month on a hammer someone else broke. It is a great feeling to have a what feels like new tool LOL.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. This is the first time I have done this to something so I didn't know how well it would work out.

edit: POST 500!!!

Edited by bmxkid313, February 26, 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:27 PM

Just thought of a way to balance out your axe. Weld a small steel plate to the end of the head to cover the stock handle hole. Might only be 3 pounds but would be worth it lol.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Just thought of a way to balance out your axe. Weld a small steel plate to the end of the head to cover the stock handle hole. Might only be 3 pounds but would be worth it lol.

I don't think its worth it, that would have to be a pretty thick plate to add 3 pounds! Another thing, when I removed the old handle the wooden part only went half way through the head then the rest was filled with bondo. Is that a common thing?

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:40 PM

Never heard of that before. I thought all handles went all the way thru so that the wedge you drive into the end of the handle has the whole implement head to grip to.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 02:42 PM

I've heard of the bondo thing. It's supposed to hold the head better and keep the wedge in the handle. I have my doubts as to whether it works or not. I've never heard of it going half way down the head though...usually it's 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. Maybe yours was some kind of temporary fix that became permanent?

I was wondering whether the solid steel is hard on your arms when chopping. I used an Estwing hammer (one piece of steel) with no padding on it once, and my arm was tired after the first nail. I can swing he same hammer with the padding all day long.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 02:54 PM

The steel will most likely be harder on your arms then the wood but its better but then not being able to use it at all.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 03:02 PM

Wrap the handle end with rubber strips, much like a steering wheel cover, then wrap with tape. This will give some cushion from the shock that a steel handle will transfer to your hands.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 03:37 PM

I will do that if its to much. I don't use it for long periods of time so I don't think it will be to bad if I only split up one piece at a time, which is what I usually do. If its more shock then I want to put up with I will do that. I used it a little just to try it out and it works pretty good

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:10 PM

I think you did a good job on the handle. After you take the first full bore whack at a solid piece of wood I think you will be wrapping the padding on it. Be like taking a metal baseball bat with no rubber padding and hitting a metal pole with it. Won't be able to pick anything up for a little while LOL
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Many if not all of us, while we were young, we abused our hands. Now we pay for it with daily pain. For years when something wouldn't budge, I'd just bang it with a clinched hand! Now I use a hammer! LOL
Protect the hands and they will repay you ten-fold when you get older!
  • trowel and Ryan313 have said thanks

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think you did a good job on the handle. After you take the first full bore whack at a solid piece of wood I think you will be wrapping the padding on it. Be like taking a metal baseball bat with no rubber padding and hitting a metal pole with it. Won't be able to pick anything up for a little while LOL

I understand that problem 100 %, don't gt me wrong, theses are well built spades and shovles but when edging a flower bed and hitting a rock, my arm is rendered useless : http://www.google.co...ZgAhOasCtxvrX4A

Looks very good, nice welds but please cover that steel bar with something that will take away the shock, also bending the bar in a S shape much like the original wood handle's shape will help with the balance and keep from always using the top edge of the axe head.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ok ok, ill put some padding on it. Now that you say it, I am pretty tough on my hands.Thanks for the kind words everybody!
  • trowel said thank you

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ryan, it took me a couple years to quit using my hands and grab a hammer to beat on a wrench trying to loosen stuck bolts. I was working with dad the other day and stopped myself from using my hand and walked over to get a hammer. Got back and found that dad had used his hand lol.

ALL of us do stupid things as we grow up and pay for them later. I already have knee problems (stupidity at age 12) and that has haunted me since. Worst that happens is if in a twist I get that knee in a bind it will pop out.. and I go straight down! It goes right back in but then I must be very careful because it can happen 10 times easier for the next month. I hate shoveling so much because every other time my knee has popped out has been during shoveling (the turn).

It is hard to not do stupid things when things aren't already going well (even if they are). It is just very important to preserve yourself and lift with your knees if you still have them. I have heard that hernias are no fun. lol
  • Ryan313 said thank you