11 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:01 AM

I spend five days a week, eight hours a day, driving around Winnipeg. I rarely see GTs, since I mostly drive around industrial parks and down major truck routes, but I do see some interesting things. This is what I've seen over the last couple of weeks.

I saw a 48 foot flatbed hauling a dozer and a Bobcat. Both ramps had been left down and he was happily dragging them down the road, clanging and banging.

I saw a Ditch Witch trencher laying on it's side in the ditch. Three guys were standing there smoking cigarettes and staring at it, as if willing it to stand up before the boss got there.

I saw a guy hauling suicide coils on two short (22 ft?) tridems hook the back of a minivan with the rear trailer and drag it right sideways. Granted, the minivan shouldn't have been parked there, but the driver should have been paying more attention too. There was plenty of room to make the corner and if he'd been watching his mirrors, he would have stopped as soon as, or maybe before, he hit the van.

I saw a guy pulling a construction trailer full of roof trusses with a half ton. The back of the truck was full of plywood to the box rails. Nothing was tied down, it was overloaded so the truck bumper was pretty much dragging on the ground, and none of the trailer lights worked, which likely means the electric trailer brakes didn't work either. It's okay though...the guy was crawling along at maybe 20MPH in a 50MPH zone to make up for his other sins.

My favourite though? We make tractors and snow removal equipment, but seem to lack the ability to clean our own lot at the south plant. That means the forklifts, most of which aren't designed for outside use, are always getting stuck. So on Friday afternoon one forklift was trying to push out another, and they both got stuck. They were pushing each other back and forth over a space of about 18 inches, looking like two mentally challenged moose in a sparing match. Finally one guy goes into the building and comes out with a bag of shop rags to use for traction. That's right, shop rags. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're both still there when I drop off the first load on Monday morning.
  • daytime dave, MH81, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:08 AM

I spend five days a week, eight hours a day, driving around Winnipeg. I rarely see GTs, since I mostly drive around industrial parks and down major truck routes, but I do see some interesting things. This is what I've seen over the last couple of weeks.

I saw a 48 foot flatbed hauling a dozer and a Bobcat. Both ramps had been left down and he was happily dragging them down the road, clanging and banging.

I saw a Ditch Witch trencher laying on it's side in the ditch. Three guys were standing there smoking cigarettes and staring at it, as if willing it to stand up before the boss got there.

I saw a guy hauling suicide coils on two short (22 ft?) tridems hook the back of a minivan with the rear trailer and drag it right sideways. Granted, the minivan shouldn't have been parked there, but the driver should have been paying more attention too. There was plenty of room to make the corner and if he'd been watching his mirrors, he would have stopped as soon as, or maybe before, he hit the van.

I saw a guy pulling a construction trailer full of roof trusses with a half ton. The back of the truck was full of plywood to the box rails. Nothing was tied down, it was overloaded so the truck bumper was pretty much dragging on the ground, and none of the trailer lights worked, which likely means the electric trailer brakes didn't work either. It's okay though...the guy was crawling along at maybe 20MPH in a 50MPH zone to make up for his other sins.

My favourite though? We make tractors and snow removal equipment, but seem to lack the ability to clean our own lot at the south plant. That means the forklifts, most of which aren't designed for outside use, are always getting stuck. So on Friday afternoon one forklift was trying to push out another, and they both got stuck. They were pushing each other back and forth over a space of about 18 inches, looking like two mentally challenged moose in a sparing match. Finally one guy goes into the building and comes out with a bag of shop rags to use for traction. That's right, shop rags. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're both still there when I drop off the first load on Monday morning.

NICE!! As was said elsewhere recently you just cant fix stupid. Nice collection of proof you have there though.
So are you thinking just the forklifts will still be there or do you expect the guys will still be there (looking like two mentally challenged moose in a sparing match) going at it still? :laughingteeth:

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Always enjoyable to see things thru your eyes Rev, thanks.

Mentally Challenged Moose.... Hahahaah! Very vivid description.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:23 AM

Speaking of Moose.

Pogo Moose Incident - Bracebridge, Ont, Canada - 1 hr. 45 min. north of Toronto.

'They were laying new power cables which were strung on the ground for miles.
The moose are rutting right now and very agitated.
This one was thrashing around and got his antlers stuck in the cables.
When the men (miles away) began pulling the lines up with their big equipment,
the moose went up with them.
They noticed excess tension in the lines and went searching for the problem.
The moose was still alive when they lowered him to the ground.
He was a huge 60-inch bull and slightly pissed!'

Moose.jpg
  • MH81, Reverend Blair, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:26 AM

looking like two mentally challenged moose in a sparing match.

I thought your observations were very interesting. Then you described the forklifts. i burst out laughing. Thanks for making my day Rev. :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Speaking of Moose.

Pogo Moose Incident - Bracebridge, Ont, Canada - 1 hr. 45 min. north of Toronto.

'They were laying new power cables which were strung on the ground for miles.
The moose are rutting right now and very agitated.
This one was thrashing around and got his antlers stuck in the cables.
When the men (miles away) began pulling the lines up with their big equipment,
the moose went up with them.
They noticed excess tension in the lines and went searching for the problem.
The moose was still alive when they lowered him to the ground.
He was a huge 60-inch bull and slightly pissed!'

Moose.jpg

After cutting him lose,...RUN ! as fast as you little legs can take you RUN and don't look back !!

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:35 AM

wow, how did they get away from that one alive?

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 11:56 AM

NICE!! As was said elsewhere recently you just cant fix stupid. Nice collection of proof you have there though.
So are you thinking just the forklifts will still be there or do you expect the guys will still be there (looking like two mentally challenged moose in a sparing match) going at it still? :laughingteeth:

Well, they might be back there...I park my truck at the east plant, so I'm seldom down south until 10:00 A.M. or so...but I've yet to see a forklift driver still on his machine when the 4:00 P.M. buzzer rings.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 01:19 PM

You certainly have a way with words Rev! :bigrofl: We used to have trouble with fork lifts getting stuck all the time. They've since paved the lot and hired a snow removal crew. On top of that, we now have 2 fork lifts with outdoor tires on them.

Will, that would've been a real sight to see...from a great distance! :bigrofl:

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, you'd think they'd figure out the outdoor tire thing. When I load my own truck at the east plant, I use the Sellick. It has ag tires, and I haven't been stuck yet. They don't have one of those down south though.

I think the thing that really got me was the shop rags for traction though. Like we can't afford a couple yards of sand and a little time to spread it around? I spend more on fuel in week than that would cost.

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 12:36 AM

Great laugh.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 05:18 AM

Sounds like you saw some very interesting things.