• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• Member No: 8177
  • 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Well my son was riding the JD yesterday around the property. All of a sudden it just stopped and shut off. It was going just fine and wasn't doing anything abnormal. The drive belts are intact and it wants to crank. The plug is producing spark. The only thing I can think of is fuel. Has anyone ever had this problem. Fuel line being clogged, or the carb malfunctioning. Is there anything else that would cause the tractor to shut off abruptly? Well all the help is much appriciated, I just got a sleeve hitch for it, but it seems that there is one thing after another with this one. Thanks Greg

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 922 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hello Greg The first thing i would try is take air filter off and spray little fuel in carb and see if it will start and run for a few seconds.

Edited by jms180, February 27, 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Might have something in the tank floating around. I would try the above post and if it starts, go thru the fuel systam.

#4 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Same thing happened to my 140 yesterday. Not sure what is going on. I have spark fuel and air, running fine then died. When I figure it out I will let you know. I am thinking points are out of whack.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Same thing happened to my 140 yesterday. Not sure what is going on. I have spark fuel and air, running fine then died. When I figure it out I will let you know. I am thinking points are out of whack.

If the points were out of whack it would be a gradual problem that would of increased with time, hard starting, lack of power when warm, take the easiest road first and work from there, change out the plug or check the plug gap, it may be calling for spark at too wide a gap, set to .030.

Edited by trowel, February 26, 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#6 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:07 PM

I am not in a heated garage so she does start hard. I just went out and messed with it. It fires inconsistent and I have checked the plug, wraped plug wire. I am going to replace the plug wire and at the same time change out plug and points. These are things that need to be done any way. All I did was change fluid and filters when I purchased it and grease fittings and put on maybe 5 hours until January. I have plowing with it since. I did not plan on running it till this summer but the inlaws borrowed one tractor (212 with snowblower) and my parents the other winter tractor( Bolens with snowblower).

Edited by maddhorse, February 26, 2012 - 06:09 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#7 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Diver my Grandpas 212 was one thing after another. It sat before I got it for 15 yrs and then some guy left it out in the rain. I kept plugging at it and now it is the most reliable tractor I own and is run regularly for heavy work. I change fluids more often then needed as well as checking other things gaps, belts so on and on. I will keep you posted. Try disconecting fuel line from carb and turning key to see if fuel is getting through.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 06:35 PM

My 314 pulled that stunt last summer. It turned out to be the points. After adjusting them properly it fired right up.

#9 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Like DBrian said I would clean and file the points. also check the point's push rod. Set the points at 0.020 with the S mark on the flywheel.
To help set the point next time paint a mark on the flywheel screen and on the flywheel cover after you align the S mark on the flywheel.
This helps the next time you have to set the points, it is easier. Just align the two marks. Remember it fires every other time the marks align. So you have to check when the points open.

#10 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 03:48 PM

Diver I changed plug, wire, points and she started up with out even a full revolution on the starter. good luck and keep us up to date.

#11 divergreg OFFLINE  

divergreg

• Member No: 8177
  • 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Okay, well I have changed the spark plug, inline fuel filter, and verified that fuel was getting to the carb. I took the fuel diaphram pump off and it works and is fairly clean. I gapped a new plug to .030 and I am getting spark. It still wants to turn over, but it is not getting it done. I will try the points today and see what the deal is. She was reliable and I am proud of her, she is not done yet, I will get it working. I have kind of put it on the back burner for the last week, we had a new baby come into the family, but now I am ready to work it. I also bought a brand new JD the other day, a 320. I wanted to make sure my wife had something that starts right up without worries. The children love it, but they like the 210 better because it is older and louder. thanks for the replies I will keep you posted.
Greg

#12 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 08:39 AM

Make sure your points mounting screws are tight.My 140 lost some power but still ran after moving the fuel line so not to vapor lock the engine,I checked the gap on the points and found the screws had worked loss.I put some blue lock-tite on the screws and reset the gap and it runs like a top.You can use chevrolet points on your tractor they are adjustable so you can get the most power out of your tractor.